advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Comcast bastiches take Food Network and Disney from basic cable
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2018 04:26PM
We've had basic service for about 12 years now, and every few years they pare down the offerings even more. No news other than CNN (yuck), no more BBC America, no science channel, Discovery channel, Cooking channel. Now it's the Food Network and Disney (ok, don't watch a lot if that, but my son does occasionally).

What's the best tack to take in calling and trying to get an upgrade without paying substantially more? Honestly, don't care so much about the tv, we need the basic service for the internet, but the Food Network accounts for more than 50% of our tv viewing
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Comcast bastiches take Food Network and Disney from basic cable
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 15, 2018 04:41PM
Short of threatening to walk, not much. Explain that their new offerings don’t meet your needs and you’re calling to cancel for another provider. See what they come back with. They may offer a discount on whatever package has what you need. Whatever they offer will be a limited time deal.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2018 04:44PM
....they have all the power....can you cancel the TV services and get something like 'DirectTV Now' or 'Sling TV' or 'Philo' and just use their internet service to stream.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 04:45PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: max
Date: May 15, 2018 04:51PM
Why even do cable?....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2018 04:57PM
Food Network shows are included on Amazon Prime live streaming

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 15, 2018 05:05PM
Those haven't been part of basic cable around here for a long, long time (if ever). Discovery is the only one we get. If they drop that, I'll probably figure something else out. Tough when it's less than $15/mo.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 15, 2018 05:32PM
Mavic,

You beat me to it. Basic cable hasn't included anything other than local channels for decades. In NY, on Long Island, we're talking CBS, ABC, NBC, PIX11, PBS, etc. Want something like Discovery? You had to upgrade to a more expensive package.

Robert
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 15, 2018 05:35PM
Screw cable. We "cut the cord" and haven't looked back.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2018 05:39PM
I offered comcast $80/mo for access to just FOUR channels... of course they said no and I shut it down. I just wanted the three channels that show NHL plus the NHL network (that NO ONE watches). When a hockey game I was watching went long and was moved to the NHL network, I wasn't able to see it. Comcast said that in order to get that one channel I had to go straight to the program that was just below the ALL BELLS AND WHISTLES package - I aint spending $200/mo on TV - no @#$%& way!

Where is the class action suit to break up the packages??
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 15, 2018 05:49PM
bazookaman

Boom!

This.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 15, 2018 05:55PM
hal
Where is the class action suit to break up the packages??

smiley-laughing001 smiley-laughing001 smiley-laughing001 smiley-laughing001 smiley-laughing001

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 15, 2018 06:31PM
The O.P. didn't really have "basic cable" which is mostly only local channels. It was more like the standard cable channel lineup. Obviously, they have pulled some channels from the standard lineup into higher tiers.

I would call them and see if they will upgrade you to a higher tier for the same price. If not, and you don't have any other internet options, then I would either drop to actual basic cable (which they probably don't even list as an option) or drop TV entirely and switch to one of the streaming options.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2018 06:45PM
AllGold
The O.P. didn't really have "basic cable" which is mostly only local channels. It was more like the standard cable channel lineup. Obviously, they have pulled some channels from the standard lineup into higher tiers.

I would call them and see if they will upgrade you to a higher tier for the same price. If not, and you don't have any other internet options, then I would either drop to actual basic cable (which they probably don't even list as an option) or drop TV entirely and switch to one of the streaming options.

My very first cable package came from a tiny operation that was scooped up by ATT within a couple of years. They offered line of sight Microwave connection (worked well in the very flat sacramento valley). They had only one package and it included the local channels, 3ESPNs, disney and discovery (or something like that) for $25 (no extra fees) when everything else started at $40+. That was the perfect service, OF COURSE someone had to buy it and turf it...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2018 07:34PM
Honestly, don't recall what the packages are, but what we have is considered "basic," esp since the bundle includes internet. Like most things Comcast (xfinity), the bundle is cheaper to get the cable and internet as compared to internet alone. So, I guess I can't complain that loudly. But, we keep it because it's something like $70/mo before taxes and fees. All of the other plans are at least $100/mo and like hal says, it's about $200 to get any local sports channels. In the end, I don't watch much TV, but like I said, most of that is family viewing of Food Network (and I am not even a fan of that channel, given its goofy shows, but the kids like it).
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2018 10:24PM
bazookaman

agree smiley

I "cut the cord" back in 2005. Where I am on Long Island, NY, my only choice was satellite or Cablevision. Cablevision, imho, was simply an evil company; one I simply CHOOSE not to do business with. I had just put a new roof on and, did NOT want anyone drilling holes into it. Neither satellite provider back then would put a mast on the side of my house so, they self-disqualified. Suffolk County has an EXCELLENT cooperative library system. EVERYTHING I'd ever want to watch that's on TV gets released on disk right after the season ends (I don't care about sports. FAR too many pro athletes, imho, are overpaid bums). I simply borrow what I want and, watch when it's convenient for me. News is free on any radio.

If more viewers "cut the cord" even if only for a month or two, prices would come down.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 16, 2018 05:41AM
We cut the cable a couple of months ago and use Youtube TV and Philo. Between the 2 they have everything we ever watched on cable and save us $50 or so per month. The never-ending DVR capabilities with Youtube TV is very cool. I use Titantv, set up for Youtube TV, that I added the Philo channels to, for our tv guide. That was the missing piece for me; scrolling through the Youtube TV shows got old.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 16, 2018 08:48AM
Don't use cable tv for tv access. Bury them in a shallow grave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015