advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Model trains: Do you prefer Standard 0 Gauge 3-Rail or HO gauge?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 16, 2018 06:47PM
I had the O Gauge when I was a kid, but I think the HO Gauge looks more realistic.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Model trains: Do you prefer Standard 0 Gauge 3-Rail or HO gauge?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 16, 2018 07:00PM
I loved smashing my American Flyer train into block barricades when I was a kid. That train really moved! Not like the putzy train I bought for my son.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 16, 2018 08:08PM
Definitely HO, followed by N
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 16, 2018 08:09PM
I had an O-Guage Lionel as a small child (my Dad's coworkers at Buick bought it after my accident). Than as a young teen I built an N-Guage. The second was by far my favorite. It was easy to build a detailed setup on a single sheet of plywood. The cars and model buildings were detailed enough to be weathered and customized. I always felt HO was a compromise between full size O and miniature N, and never really got either right. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion though.

Regardless, it was truly fun even if I never did get the electrical all perfect.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 16, 2018 08:18PM
I had hand-me-down O gauge that I ran round and round, but longed for HO that would match my Hot Wheels and my Kenner Bridge & Girder Building Sets.

One of my buddies, though, believes in going big or going home. Actually, since he lives in the apartment building next door, he can't actually take his ride-on-top model train home with him:

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 16, 2018 08:34PM
dup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 08:35PM by Mr Downtown.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 16, 2018 09:46PM
My brother and I were big fans of Gilbert trains, providing Christmas and birthday presents for many years. Then he nearly burned the house down when he tried cleaning the tracks with gasoline. NOT SMART!

After the cleanup, we restarted with HO but it was never quite the same. He still has a few engines and cars that survived the fire and now in his mid 70's has resumed building, I think an HO setup.

I have not rekindled the interest in model trains although I appreciate the work of those who do have the interest.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 16, 2018 10:06PM
I have a colleague who built and rides the steam engine in this group...

[www.lakeshorelivesteamers.com]

Someplace I have a HO track set I made for the kids, as well as a G scale Thomas the Tank Engine set my eldest son really had to have.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: May 16, 2018 10:19PM
Can I answer G scale?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 16, 2018 10:29PM
American Flyer trains (made by Gilbert) were S gauge. We got them from the Gilbert store at 16th and K in Washington, DC, where I would repair after weekly art class at Cornelia Yuditsky's School of Creative Art on Eye Street. We had a Santa Fe Alco PA diesel locomotive (plus PB), with three passenger cars, including dome and observation cars.

American Flyer trains on two-rail tracks were much more realistic than O-gauge Lionels, which required three rails, and were not to scale, so not as realistic-looking. That was my opinion then, and my friend Benny's (who had a permanent layout in his basement—ours only went up at Christmas time for a week or two). We also had a B&0 Royal Blue 4-6-2 (Pacific type) streamlined steam locomotive, and a 4-4-2 Atlantic type steam loco, plus some freight cars.

I never got into HO trains, though I used to imagine a model RR around my room, with a bridge at the door. My younger brother as an adult actually built an HO layout in a basement room, with yards and tracks around the room, and yes, a bridge at the door.

The American Flyer trains disappeared, I guess as a result of an attic fire. Cleaning out the garage at my parents' home, we found one piece of track, still in the (optional) rubber roadbed.

I miss those trains.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 10:35PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 16, 2018 10:47PM
I prefer the small gauges, N scale or Z scale. HO and bigger seem more (no offense) toylike to me somehow. The detail in these little trains is fascinating. I have two paperboxes full of N engines, rolling stock and track, waiting for the day to build a layout. The layout day may never come, but I like having them.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 16, 2018 11:57PM
Can't make that choice easily, I have O, S, OO, HO, TT, N, along with some of the narrow gauge ones of G, SM32, OO9 and HO9 plus a little Z which at one point I thought was getting too small for my older eyes and hands so passed it on. Still keep finding a few bits.

I think I posted this recently, still designing it for the new garden.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's what I have helped run several times a year for the last 15 years.

[www.youtube.com]

This was an exhibition I did last summer just showing the Lima O gauge range I have.

[www.youtube.com]

This is my small Tri-ang TT exhibition layout.

[www.youtube.com]

And this plenty of action on a small N gauge layout I had.

[www.youtube.com]

I am trying to cut back but it's a bit of an addiction and there's a toy auction coming up this weekend that has items I MUST HAVE!

Paul

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 17, 2018 02:31AM
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 17, 2018 06:28AM
N - have a nice set. Someday, I’ll remake my large layout... some day...
Posted by: rz
Date: May 17, 2018 08:01AM
I had N gauge as a kid. Good if you don't have a lot of room. My current house has no room for something like that, so my brother has all the train stuff we had from when we were kids. I have grown-up toys now... 10 guitars (with amps, pedals, etc), and a room full of computers/electronics. My son has a nice big bedroom, but he's all about the Legos. He likes trains, but has no interest in having an actual train set.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 19, 2018 04:01PM
I have a simple O gauge Lionel that comes out at Christmas time. I love it and the kids love it too even though they are getting older. It’s part of Christmas to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015