advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone here ride a yamaha fjr1300 motorcycle?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 17, 2018 09:02AM
i'm lusting and asking around for real world experiences.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone here ride a yamaha fjr1300 motorcycle?
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: May 17, 2018 09:37AM
Yes, I owned one for about a year. I bought it specifically for a cross country tour from LA to Chicago (through Utah, Colorado etc.) and back to LA on Route 66. Afterwards I sold it as it was no longer needed. In all I rode about 6500 miles. It held all my gear and performed like a champ. It had more power then I could've asked for and what I really liked was the fuel injection. At higher altitudes it didn't have any of disadvantages of a carburetor type model. It didn't use any oil and mpg was over 45 and many times I hit 50. I was amazed at the mpg needless to say. For the heck of it somewhere in on a deserted road I opened it up to 125mph. I didn't feel comfortable going any faster, the bike still had plenty of umph to go faster. The only negative I had was mine was an earlier model that had five gears. I found myself shifting to find the non-existant sixth. I believe the new models have a 6th gear, I might be wrong as I don't keep up with motorcycles at this time.

What else would you like to know?

D & C

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
11:36 PM - 22 Feb 2015

-Leonard Nimoy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 09:45AM by Dazed & Confused.
Date: May 17, 2018 11:35AM
d&c-

your experience seems to jib with what i have read/watched.

i'm thinking about a "next" motorcycle from my current suzuki dl650/v-strom and the fjr is definitely in the running.

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob
Date: May 17, 2018 12:03PM
No problem rob. It is a large motorcycle so the handling is not that of a sport bike but it will still scoot along at a fast pace. Since I was touring far from home I thought it best to have a 'stop to smell the roses' type of pace. Of course it was heavily loaded with gear so slow speed actions did require added effort. Perhaps it was just me or this particular bike but I thought the front brakes needed more stopping power. The fairing kept me dry when I hit some rain in Colorado and overall I believe I made the right choice for the trip. One last item to look for if you are looking to buy a used one are the fork seals. I noticed many used FJRs have new or need new ones.

D & C
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 17, 2018 12:58PM
This long FJR1300 thread on the ADV Rider forum may be of use:

[advrider.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 12:58PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 17, 2018 01:26PM
robfilms
d&c-

i'm thinking about a "next" motorcycle from my current suzuki dl650/v-strom and the fjr is definitely in the running.

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob

I'm in the exact same place. Honda's ST1300 is also worthy of your attention.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 01:27PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: May 17, 2018 01:52PM
N-OS X-tasy!
robfilms
d&c-

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob

I'm in the exact same place. Honda's ST1300 is also worthy of your attention.

i read that the heat coming off the honda st1300 makes for a less than enjoyable experience.

the same issue was apparent on the fjr1300 gen1 but corrected by gen2.

thumbs up.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 01:53PM by robfilms.
Date: May 17, 2018 01:56PM
"...Honda's ST1300 is also worthy of your attention."

I've never considered myself a Goldwing type of person but the new model looks like a winner as well. Serious $$$ however for a new one but really all new motorcycles are pricey.

On a different note this is a perfect time to buy a used Harley. The Baby Boomers are aging out and unloading their Milwaukee Iron. $7500 buys you a nice clean one owner here in the PNW.

D & C
Date: May 17, 2018 02:06PM
"the same issue was apparent on the fjr1300 gen1 but corrected by gen2."

Rob, mine was a gen 1 and I had read the same complaint. Truth be told (at least for me) the engine heat was not an issue for me. And I was riding in 90+ degree weather through Kansas, Oaklahoma, Texas and Arizona. Yeah, in city traffic the fan would come on but I was never miserable. Once I'd get up to faster then walking speed it was no big deal. Let's put it this way; I had forgotten all about this so called problem until I read your comment.

D & C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 02:07PM by Dazed & Confused (Mobile).
Date: May 17, 2018 03:10PM
robfilms
d&c-

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob

rob, how far are you planning to ride? Compared to your current bikes the FJR is quite a big girl, perhaps there's something a bit more petite that might meet your needs?

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 17, 2018 03:54PM
There's ALWAYS a really good market for buyers seeking used Harleys. they tend to plummet in price, because they're bought as toys, and the repair cost is nearly the same as a car.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2018 05:51PM
I'm not familiar with the FJR except that it's a Sport-Tourer like my ST1300.

I wouldn't be quick to recommend the ST as 2012 was the last year of production for the US. There is still some NOS nationwide, though it's dwindling, and almost nothing about it has changed since 2008. If you were to buy NOS, it would be 8-10yrs old before you started it up. It should have a new battery, new tires, and definitely all fluids changed and the clutch and brakes bled.

That said, I love mine. I looked at the FJR, Connie, and ST and got the ST. To my eye, it's the best looking of the bunch. Everything is wasn't as important to me. It's heavy and you feel it up to about 4-5mph. Then it's nearly a ballerina.

Engine heat seems to vary for some unknown reason by a bike. I don't notice it; others burn up. With proper maintenance the engine is bulletproof. I expect it to last for at least 200,000-250,000mi.

Enter the 2018 FJR and you get all the bells and whistles that Honda left off of the ST:

six-speeds, throttle by wire, traction control, cruise control, and LED lights, to name a few. I'd say it's probably a teeny bit more nimble and maybe 100+ lbs less than the ST and doesn't get quite as good gas mileage.

For speed, the newer Connies are the way to go. But I'm pretty much a Honda man.

Now, if I was in the market for a new bike, that 2018 Gold Wing with the DCT would be the bike for me. It may still be. Narrower, lighter, better looking (to my eye) than previous Gold Wings and lots of great bells and whistles including an electric windshield like the FJR and ST. It's about halfway between an ST/FJR and the previous Gold Wing.

I'm not a fan of BMWs. In very general terms they are pricey. They're the land equivalent of a boat— on open hole in the water that you throw money into (or break out another thousand). They have some very strong points, but economical isn't one of them.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 17, 2018 06:58PM
I've got a Yamaha Stryker 1300 - completely different beast though ;)
Date: May 18, 2018 09:06AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
robfilms
d&c-

thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob

rob, how far are you planning to ride? Compared to your current bikes the FJR is quite a big girl, perhaps there's something a bit more petite that might meet your needs?

i would LOVE to take a few long rides while i am still capable.

i would welcome a trip to the blue ridge mountains and perhaps even north to nova scotia.

(i am in the metro nyc area)

i'll be 64yrs this summer so want to accomplish the long rides before i miss the opportunity.

my current ride the v-strom/dl650 is really great but i have been wishing a wee bit more oomph.

the v-strom is my second bike after being away from riding for 35+ years.

i generally ride about 4k miles a year but would welcome the chance to up that number.

i like the upright seating position of these adventure style bikes but some of the sport tourers are fine.

i ride the bike 12 months a year so need some weather protection and amenities like heated grips.

i generally have a top box to store gear.

truth be told, i need some form of decent storage because i also do many of my costco runs on the motorcycle!

i have a hard time justifying new when there are many quality used bikes.

my current list includes:

yamaha fjr1300 gen2/gen3
yamaha fj-09
truimph tiger 1050
kawasaki ninja 1k
suzuki v-strom Vee/gen2

since i live in an apartment building with an indoor parking spot, my motorcycle lives behind our car.

consequentially, i can do basic motorcycle maintenance-oil/filter/chain-but i'm not really a wrench so reliability is CRITICAL.

it's not raining in nyc this morning so i'm already thinking how i can squeeze in a ride!

be well.

rob
Date: May 18, 2018 08:29PM
Both the FJ-09 and the Ninja 1000 look like tons of fun, and are highly regarded by reviewers and motorcycling forumites. FWIW, those two would be high on my list for the kind of riding you describe.

You could get a smoking deal on a new leftover 2014 or 2015 Honda Interceptor (VFR800), but I don’t know if it would have the comfort and luggage flexibility that would meet your needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 10:55PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 19, 2018 12:38AM
I wonder if any other engine would be as smooth as the Honda boxer six found in the GW. Something to consider for serious slab riding.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: May 20, 2018 09:12AM
My 92 Gold Wing 1500 SE is still running strong and eats up highway miles with aplomb. Wouldn't mind a newer one but the wife says they are not as comfortable.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: May 21, 2018 07:37AM
i'm still leaning towards a fjr1300.

i wish i could find some local examples to ride.

coming from the v-strom, i just want to make sure that weight won't be an issue.

thumbs up.

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018