advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just buy Windows 10 retail for college-bound kid?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 17, 2018 08:55PM
Yeah, I'm a cheap #$%$^#*.

Their 2012 13" MBP already has 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD, runs fine.

Since they will need Windows @ school, I plan to pick up a retail copy of Windows 10 and have them run Bootcamp or one of the virtualization programs like Parallels.

School will have any Windows software they need for cheap/free.

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just buy Windows 10 retail for college-bound kid?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2018 09:03PM
Actually, sounds reasonable. Check Newegg and see if they have any bundles with an OEM disk and a piece of hardware. That's how I got our Win 7 disks.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 17, 2018 09:15PM
Bill in NC
School will have any Windows software they need for cheap/free.

Thoughts?

Get Windows 10 for free through education channels through the book store (if there's still a book store... Seen recently that campuses are closing their book stores because resources are all digital)... or via IT department or online:
[onthehub.com]

Get Office 365 for free:
[www.microsoft.com]

Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 17, 2018 09:16PM
There was a free way to download Windows 10 a while back, and I have a 32-bit version and 64-bit version. Have never installed them.

[www.howtogeek.com]
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 17, 2018 10:00PM
Maybe find out first if the college has some kind of download for free. At some universities, students/faculty/staff have access to current Office versions wherever they may go. Most places are pretty well cross-platform by now, so there are hardly any Windoz or Mac centric programs left floating around. Download and install the programs one needs for classes. One does have to log in when using, and access disappears when you matriculate or leave for other reasons. Still, you might not even have to buy that old version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 10:02PM by bfd.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: May 18, 2018 01:01AM
One recommendation I would give for virtualization software is Oracle’s VirtualBox. Been using for several years after a long time with Parallels. Got tired paying the annual upgrade cost for Parallels and am very happy with VirtualBox.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 18, 2018 05:08AM
Just remember that if you get the OEM version, when your child gets a new MBP, they will need a new Win10 copy. OEM licenses are not transferable.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 18, 2018 06:41AM
I would check to make sure they really need it first. I sent my son with a macbook pro off for engineering, which claimed to require Windows, and at least for him and as far as he knows or could tell, there was no need or use for it. Specialized stuff ran at the programming lab (for everyone) and everything else ran on the cloud.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 18, 2018 07:11AM
Check with the school first on whether or not you can get a Windows license for free or cheaply through them. It will depend on what type of agreement the school has with MS, and may depend on which field your kid is going to be studying in. Not all schools have the same arrangement with MS, and the agreement may change from one year to the next.

Who handles this at a school also varies. Here at the university the agreement is handled through the campus academic IT organization, from contacts at other schools it might be through their campus bookstore.

Here only students in STEM courses, and faculty in those departments, can get a Windows license for free to use on personal computers. This is STEM as defined by MS, not necessarily the same as many academics would define STEM. All other students, staff and faculty are eligible to buy a discounted license through GovConnection. I looked into that a while ago, the discount was not better than many other discounted prices available online.

Office 365 Education version is free for all students, staff and faculty. Some other MS software products for personal computer use are available at a discount through GovConnection.

That is the current agreement at the campus. Up until a few years ago any student, staff or faculty could get a Windows license for free. But Office was not available for free then, just the discounted educational version.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 18, 2018 07:52AM
Thanks for all the replies!

1. The university they're attending through that Microsoft link only lists Windows for small embedded devices, e.g. Raspberry PI, presumably for their engineering students.

So I'll have them contact the school's IT department directly, but I'm not optimistic.

2. Kid will not be a STEM major.

3. OEM restrictions are why I plan to buy the retail version (around $100) if W10 is not free via the school.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 19, 2018 01:27PM
Are you sure that they need Windows? I've been on many campuses over the last few years. The majority of students now have MacBooks of some type.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 19, 2018 02:53PM
About a quarter to a third here at the university I work based on what I see being used in the library.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 04:06PM by JoeH.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: May 19, 2018 06:26PM
I used this process to purchase windows 10 and install it on an older machine. Worked with no issues:

[www.techbargains.com]

Can't beat the price.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 20, 2018 12:46PM
My son is in his senior year at a state university on a MBP, never needed Windows for anything - including his computer courses.

I'm betting that will be the case for your son as well, especially if he isn't a STEM major.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 12:47PM by Ombligo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018