advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to narrow down a Macbook keyboard problem...?
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 18, 2018 12:43PM
I have a 2008 13" MacBook unibody (A1278) which came to me with a wonky keyboard. At first, it seemed that the control key was constantly pressed and other keys were sporadically responsive. Power button didn't work. Now, most keys seem unresponsive. Other than that, machine works fine. Works fine with bluetooth and USB keyboard. Reset pram, smc (i think)... no improvement.

I am considering buying a replacement keyboard membrane and embarking on the MacBook Keyboard Replacement Odyssey, but I want to be sure it is a faulty membrane. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to narrow down a Macbook keyboard problem...?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 18, 2018 01:07PM
often it's due to a swollen battery - try removing the battery and see how it does. If the battery smells sickly sweet, it's probably a goner.
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 18, 2018 01:17PM
hal
often it's due to a swollen battery - try removing the battery and see how it does. If the battery smells sickly sweet, it's probably a goner.
That would be great... it would save me having to remove 9000 screws, but I'm gonna have to get a new screwdriver! I have to say... just looking at it, it doesn't seem swollen. When I push lightly on the battery housing, there is even a bit of flex in the plastic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 01:38PM by jonny.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2018 01:37PM
Swollen under the keyboard. Causing pressure on the keys.

I think spending any money or time on it is a waste of both. If you want that model again, ebay. Should be lots in decent shape for $150 or so.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 60
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018