advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Women Can Pay Alimony?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 22, 2018 04:29PM
I guess it seems weird to me as I've only known menfolk that pay alimony to their ex wives.

One of my tenants from Canada was up over the weekend camping at my place and mentioned over the campfire that he is now divorced, and his wife has to pay him alimony. He said she wanted out of their 21 year marriage, is 10 years younger than him, and earns twice as much income as Roy. Apparently, she is fine with paying the alimony.

Yay equal rights! Or is this just a Canada thing?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Women Can Pay Alimony?
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2018 04:34PM
Certainly less common, but yeah, I think it definitely happens.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 22, 2018 04:47PM
Why wouldn't they under the appropriate circumstances?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 22, 2018 04:49PM
Welcome to gender equality.

Posted by: hal
Date: May 22, 2018 04:50PM
Welcome to 1980 - hahaha!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 22, 2018 04:51PM
My wife's best friend has to do that with her ex-husband. When they were married, she paid for everything for them and their kids, as he could not hold down a job. When they decided to split, I guess he needed to be kept in the lifestyle to which he was accustomed, i.e. still not keeping a decent paying job. Fortunately, it was for a set period of time, which is over in a year or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 06:49PM by DavidS.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2018 05:14PM
It's about who earns money and who does not (regardless of the reasons why.) The law considers all marital assets to be equally shared unless acquired prior to marriage.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 22, 2018 05:20PM
I thought it was called palimony if it's her to him?

But in any case, yes, it happens, but not as commonly. Many divorce court judges are very loathe to sign off on palimony, but will gladly sign over everything the husband owned to the ex-wife. We don't have equality.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 22, 2018 06:04PM
Not only can they pay, but in CA, they can be required by law to pay, just as it happens to men.

Not rare, but not all that common, but when women are the breadwinner, circumstances can dictate that the man get alimony, whether the former spouse is fine with it or not.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 22, 2018 06:06PM
It's palimony when there's no legal marriage, as it what is commonly called 'common-law' marriages.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: May 22, 2018 06:19PM
Many divorce court judges are very loathe to sign off on palimony, but will gladly sign over everything the husband owned to the ex-wife. We don't have equality.

It's only one data point, but an attorney I knew said that in his experience, most men were loathe to accept/demand alimony, and many of those that did didn't care to admit it.

As mentioned, there are other circumstances besides who makes the most money that determine if alimony is granted. One of them is something to the effect of one spouse giving up something (usually career) to be with the other, and the legal entitlement to continue their lifestyle in the manner to which they've become accustomed.

Generally, a lifestyle usually considered to revolve around money. More often than not, men's lifestyles aren't nearly as significantly elevated by marriage as those of women. So it's all a situation, and a matter of the best lawyers.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 22, 2018 06:49PM
this is going to vary state by state since divorce law is a state law, but yes, this has been true for a long time, so probably mid 80s in most places. It is probably called "spousal support" in most jurisdictions that have updated their laws, so "alimony" and other terms probably aren't really used anymore.

Most states would look to the combined marital income and the relative contribution of the parties, and also the future earnings potential. It may be ordered for a period of time short or long term, and "permanent" support would be relatively rare these days, unless this was a long term marriage in which one spouse never worked.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 22, 2018 09:21PM
The idea that men have to give alimony to women upon divorce is fading into the sunset. It's a holdover from when 99% women stayed home and raised the family, and alimony kept them from ending up on the streets when hubby no longer lived with them.

My brother's ex-wife got a part-time job so she could go to divorce court and ask the judge to make my brother pay big bucks since she only made half of what he did. The judge knew that she had worked full-time for their entire marriage and told her to get a new job before he'd do anything.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 22, 2018 10:37PM
deckeda
It's about who earns money and who does not (regardless of the reasons why.) The law considers all marital assets to be equally shared unless acquired prior to marriage.

That is true only in community property states.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 22, 2018 10:38PM
RAMd®d
Not only can they pay, but in CA, they can be required by law to pay, just as it happens to men.

Not rare, but not all that common, but when women are the breadwinner, circumstances can dictate that the man get alimony, whether the former spouse is fine with it or not.

In CA, the person who had the higher income and made the most money during the marriage is the one subject to having to pay alimony.

It is what it is.
Date: May 23, 2018 04:40AM
In CA, the person who had the higher income and made the most money during the marriage is the one subject to having to pay alimony.

Uh, yeah.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2018 08:18AM
....yes.....women can....bring home the bacon.....fry it up in the pan............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 23, 2018 01:23PM
.......women can also pay for.....hookers and booze......

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 23, 2018 01:34PM
I guess we shouldn't bring up who gets custody of the children! shiner smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 23, 2018 02:16PM
Rick-o
I guess we shouldn't bring up who gets custody of the children! shiner smiley

I'll ask my friend Jim... the disabled Vet, whose drug addicted, three times convicted of dealing and possession, crack ho wife got full custody of their kids, AND got the house because the judge said "well, she's got to have someplace to live with the kids".... then gave my friend 5 days to vacate.

It took him six years get full custody of his kids, AFTER his ex-wife was sent to prison - AGAIN.

Or, were you being sarcastic? :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 23, 2018 06:03PM
Child custody is a whole 'nother topic, but in the interest of chumming the waters, I'll say that CA has historically been of the 'children belong with their mother' mindset, for better or worse.

And I've seen conditions so bad that, that even with documentation, it was appalling that anybody could possibly support that doctrine.

I don't have much exposure to that system or such circumstances, but I think there's since been some change toward more objectivity deciding rather than going with the former default.

I feel for either spouse whom is wrongfully deprived of joint or full custody, as appropriate.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 24, 2018 12:07AM
I think if women want equality, it needs to be 100% equal, with no regard to gender, in all things. Unfortunately, in legal matters, the guy usually gets screwed.

How about a judge views the documents with any mention of gender expunged, and see how the rulings go. I bet they are different than when a judge knows their gender.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 24, 2018 01:29PM
Racer X
...the documents with any mention of gender expunged...

That process would create its own industry all by itself. eye popping smiley
Date: May 24, 2018 01:34PM
.....they also pay their dues........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018