advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are doves considered a nuisance bird?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 23, 2018 08:28AM
I've got a mated pair that has apparently decided to nest in the exposed rafters on the outside of my new house. I'd thought they were just using it as a landing point, because I hadn't seen any actual nest (though I can't see from above, obviously). That is, I'd thought they'd been using it just as a landing point, until I saw last night that there was now a new little one in addition to the pair.

Side note: whoever on the forum recommended / hyped / promoted the purchase of an SX40/50, thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been able to take some really nice shots of both the parents and now the baby. As I write this, he/she is just sitting there, peacefully taking in the view.

Edit: oh, and I can post pics if anyone's curious. If there are any ornithologists in the house, maybe you can help me figure out which one is the male and which the female ... apparently for doves, they have very similar coloring.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 08:35AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are doves considered a nuisance bird?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2018 08:29AM
.....only when they cry............this is what it sound like.....when doves cry..........????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 23, 2018 08:33AM
My wife and love mourning doves. We consider one on the roof good luck (or at least a seasonal sighting).
Date: May 23, 2018 08:39AM
pdq, yeah, I think they're pretty cute. When they first showed up, I was tempted to use some means (lethal or non) to get them to leave. But I couldn't find any strong information to indicate that they're considered a nuisance bird, and furthermore I did find info suggesting that their populations are declining. So I decided in the end not to do anything about it for now. I just don't want tons of bird poop on my deck!

Edit: oh and also -- as of last night, I also discovered a particularly aggressive chickadee who has apparently decided to use one of my Ring cams as a rest/perching point. I couldn't believe that when I saw it, he/she was just nestled in there and didn't want to leave. That, I might actually do something about... I don't want him/her damaging the cam, though I didn't see any evidence of it last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 08:44AM by PeterB.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 23, 2018 08:40AM
We have two that frequent our bird feeder and bath. Fun to watch. Every once in awhile our dog decides to chase them off but they always com back.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 23, 2018 08:48AM
I have Doves on my fire escape, they are welcome. My Cats agree. They sit there watching them all day, dreaming of the violence could do on them, and the guy who invented windows.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 23, 2018 09:04AM
Eh, your deck can't take a little bird poop?

Posted by: billb
Date: May 23, 2018 09:13AM
Pigeons and doves can become a nuisance.
We have a couple mourning doves around here lazing in the sun and cleaning up bird feeder scraps (we have the bird feeders with the big bird excluders) off the ground. Populations have their ups and down over the years but I've never seen more than a dozen at once, more typical is a pair or two, especially in the Spring.
Bird poop is caustic and corrosive so you might want to consider providing less of a welcome living experience for them if they sit around getting fat all day with little exercise beyond constant copulating and making more of themselves.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 23, 2018 09:19AM
If they are eurasian collared doves in Oregon they are considered are considered a nuisance species . Since they are an introduced type . They will have a black ring around the neck .
Date: May 23, 2018 09:46AM
Nope, these are regular, run-of-the-mill Mourning Doves, pretty sure about the species. And yes, bird poop is caustic and corrosive, but what's also interesting is that, at least so far, I haven't seen a lot on my deck ... surprising, given where they'd apparently decided to nest. It's possible there might be a lot of poop on top of the rafter, where their nest is, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 09:47AM by PeterB.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 23, 2018 09:52AM
I love mourning doves. They are such pretty birds, and their song is so soulful. I can usually get a 'conversation' going with the nesting pair in a fir tree in my front yard by duplicating their call.

Last night I had a nice 'chat' with a mockingbird who was perched in another tree in our front yard. The little booger could duplicate a cat's meow very nicely.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2018 10:11AM
....what about.....'Lonesome Dove'.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 23, 2018 10:22AM
Photos, if anyone's curious: [imgur.com]

... crazy, just as I was doing this, a huge crow came along and apparently attacked the baby, who was seemingly sitting there alone, by itself, for a very long time. I didn't see exactly what happened, but I think the baby is toast... very sad!

Edit: well, I guess this makes it the end of my post... facepalm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 10:27AM by PeterB.
Date: May 23, 2018 10:51AM
Crows are a lot of things, including nasty. I've seen them robbing oriole nests and shredding the fledgling residents.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: May 23, 2018 11:06AM
Well I don't know what the heck is going on now. The dad (I presume) just showed up, seems to be looking all around, and is cooing like crazy...

Posted by: msglee
Date: May 23, 2018 11:10AM
I love mourning doves, fried, made into a sandwich.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 23, 2018 11:13AM
In some states they are huntable game birds. Mourning doves are usually not the nuisance that rock doves/pigeons are; they generally don't group in the same large numbers or camp in the same spot day after day the way pigeons do.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: May 23, 2018 12:20PM
They are actually pretty good to eat. Breast fillets with onion and jalapeno slices wrapped in bacon - then grilled. Tasty! You need about a dozen to make a meal.yum smiley
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 23, 2018 12:46PM
Someone always has to chime in with something heartless.

In terms of being filthy nuisances, our species has pretty much any others beat.
Date: May 23, 2018 12:56PM
ka jowct

In terms of being filthy nuisances, our species has pretty much any others beat.

Thanks for being the one.

"A nod, you know, is as good as a wink to a blind horse."

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 01:01PM by billb.
Date: May 23, 2018 01:17PM
Well looks like I spoke too soon; at least one chick is fine. I just saw him/her poking out from the nest. Amazing that he/she could survive that attack from a huge crow. Dad seems way more attentive now!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 23, 2018 01:32PM
PeterB

... crazy, just as I was doing this, a huge crow came along and apparently attacked the baby, who was seemingly sitting there alone, by itself, for a very long time. I didn't see exactly what happened, but I think the baby is toast... very sad!

Edit: well, I guess this makes it the end of my post... facepalm

Yup! Those crows are vicious! I've seen them snatch baby squirrels from their nest.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 23, 2018 01:49PM
flareslow
They are actually pretty good to eat. Breast fillets with onion and jalapeno slices wrapped in bacon - then grilled. Tasty! You need about a dozen to make a meal.yum smiley

You need the bacon because they are pretty lean.

Eating dove is bad, but a chicken or turkey is fine? nuts smiley
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 23, 2018 02:24PM
Collard Doves are considered an invasive species, in Washington at least, and I know the same is true in many other states. In Washington they don't have a season and unlimited harvest quantity.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 02:25PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 23, 2018 04:02PM
PeterB

Nice pix.

That's what I'd call mourning doves. There is a hunting season in Minnesota, but I can't really imagine why.

Around here, they make a low whooo-whooo-whooo...
Posted by: hal
Date: May 23, 2018 04:49PM
When I was out bird watching once, I was walking back to my car and ended up walking alongside a dove hunter, so I asked the obvious question, 'why?'

He said that they are quite tasty and the meat is very rich. One bird, two at most is just fine for a meal when the trimmings are included.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 23, 2018 04:54PM
"If they are eurasian collared doves in Oregon they are considered are considered a nuisance species"

I have these on my Oregon place. Introduced in California and moving north. Tasty. I get the regular, run-of-the-mill Mourning Doves too.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 23, 2018 04:57PM
My cousin gets together every year with his HS buddies for a dove hunt, and they have a deal with a local restaurant to prepare them, and use their banquet room. The owner/chef gets the extras.

With the collard doves, for instance, you could look at it like the hunters are trying to correct the mistake that the humans who imported them and let them escape did.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 23, 2018 05:52PM
Eating dove is bad, but a chicken or turkey is fine?

Oh, please.

Like you don't know the real problem.

That's pretty clear. I don't understand how it got misinterpreted, or the need to chime in so. I suppose it's ok to chime in when someone posts about their cat or dog's passing, about how they're tasty and popular fare in other cultures. But that doesn't seem to happen.

True dat.

But I will say that I don't see doves as a nuisance. Crows on the other hand, are, at least in my neighborhood.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 24, 2018 05:24PM
Nice photos, PeterB. Thank you for sharing them.

We have mourning doves cooing in our back yard even as I type. I love their call.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015