advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking a cordless weed trimmer
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: May 23, 2018 04:45PM
I have an acre, and thought his 80 volt Kobalt might do the trick. [pcl_Value:VF_YC_Kobalt_Trimmer_05232018" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.lowes.com]

Any other recommendations? The $179 is probably at the top of budget....

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking a cordless weed trimmer
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 23, 2018 05:23PM
Gas powered models are cordless...
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 23, 2018 05:28PM
I just bought the 40V WORX brand from Wally World. Came with 1 charger, 2 batteries, and a leaf blower. I think it was $149

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 23, 2018 05:44PM
I bought the BLACK+DECKER LHT2436B 36-Volt from Amazon and have been reasonably happy with it. the first unit did burn up so I bought an extended warranty on the 2nd and so far so good. I can use it for hours and it gets hot but keeps working. It is probably not as good as some but if you want battery operated it does work well.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 23, 2018 06:30PM
I've also been using a 36V Black & Decker for about 4 years now. It has plenty of power for normal yardwork. My lot is about 1/4 acre and I usually need to switch to a fresh battery to finish it. The battery does charge fairly quickly though. I'm not sure if they still sell the same model - mine is #LST136.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 23, 2018 06:57PM
I have them all.
Really.
Big dogs and little ones.
4cycle, 56 volt, 18 volt 12 volt and corded.

Favorite

Number 2 is the Troy-Bilt 4-cycle Straight Shaft Trimmer with Jumpstart Technology. They sale it every where. Put one of these Ugly Heads on it and get ur done.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Golfer
Date: May 23, 2018 06:59PM
I use this Ryobi and really like it. It accepts attachments so I can still use my pole saw and other stuff. I've also read good things about Dewalt's new battery powered trimmer.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 23, 2018 07:08PM
I bought the 40V Ryobi trimmer (the one that takes other attachments) last year. I also bought the Ryobi 40V Chain Saw. I've had to replace the batteries on both within the first year. Good news was that they were still covered under warranty. Bad news, well, I had to replace them within a year. I still use them, but I'm afraid I can't recommend them because of the battery issue.

The batteries are slightly different and I was told they shouldn't be used interchangeably. I had sorta hoped they could be, but I don't want to mess up another battery so I don't. I only have about 1/3 acre, and the battery on the trimmer will last for about two trimmings. So for an acre, you might be able to get through one trimming on a charge.

The chain saw, on the other hand, has been disappointing. Reviews said I should get about 30-40 minutes on a charge. It's been more like 10-15 minutes. Getting the new battery didn't help. Thankfully a chain saw isn't something I need often. I have a small electric saw for small stuff, and a Stihl. The problem with the Stihl is that when it sits for a couple of years, getting it to start is difficult.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2018 07:23PM
......make sure the carpets match the drapes......so trim your weed and upstairs too......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: May 23, 2018 08:02PM
I have the DEWALT DCST990M1 40V MAX 4.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR String Trimmer.
It may be outside your price range, but if you already have the battery from other compatible DeWalt tools, then you can cut the price considerably by just getting the bare tool.
I am very pleased with it.
I use it for light and heavy stuff.

It uses the same type of battery as the DeWalt chain saw I have (and use more than it is built for).
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 23, 2018 08:43PM
I switched to Milwaukee LiIon tools a couple of years ago and have been VERY happy with all the tools I have (~ 20). Milwaukee does make an 18V LiIon trimmer. If I needed one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Milwaukee.

[www.homedepot.com]

As mentioned earlier, if you already have "brand X" cordless tools, it would be easy and less expensive to stay with that brand. If you don't have any cordless tools BUT, think you might get some in the future, give it some serious thought now and plan/purchase accordingly.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 23, 2018 10:24PM
Black and Decker here only because all my yard tools use the same battery.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: May 24, 2018 05:34AM
Check out Stihl. They have a fairly new line of battery powered trimmers.
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: May 24, 2018 10:18AM
I'll give you my noisy, smelly 2 stroke Stihl when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...

D & C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJM
Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020