advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone using a "Pi-hole" (network-level advertisement and internet tracker blocking application)
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 27, 2018 07:04PM
browsing SD about a Raspberry Pi, I came across the term Pi-hole which I have not seen before. Is anyone here using Pi-hole? how does it work for you? I have an older Raspberry Pi sitting around, maybe this would be a fun and useful project.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone using a "Pi-hole" (network-level advertisement and internet tracker blocking application)
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 27, 2018 07:36PM
Interesting......
Re: anyone using a "Pi-hole" (network-level advertisement and internet tracker blocking application)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2018 08:30PM
....can someone shut their pi-hole.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 27, 2018 08:47PM
The Wiki link says it blocks advertising and can be used on smart TVs.

Is it blocking incoming ads, outgoing data mined from your TV, or both?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: May 27, 2018 08:51PM
The Pi-Hole has been on my to-do list for a while.

It works by being an intermediary to your DNS, blacklisting the domains of known advertisers. It doesn't need to mine data.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 27, 2018 09:22PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 28, 2018 02:24PM
I've got an old Pi laying around doing nothing. Will give it a try and report back.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 28, 2018 08:37PM
I have a pi too and am also interested. Let us know how it works.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 29, 2018 08:47AM
.....would this work on humble Pi.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 29, 2018 12:57PM
Well, I *thought* I'd have it done quickly, but it turned out to take all afternoon to get a download of Raspian. Kept failing to complete on multiple computers. I hate when that happens.

But it finally came through, so I'll do the configuration and hook it up (hopefully) tonight.
Date: May 29, 2018 06:39PM
So I got the Pi loaded and configured this afternoon. This is as basic a system as you can get, an original Model B Pi (the one with an Ethernet port) running Raspbian Lite on a 4GB memory card. No GUIs.

(We pause now to salute Macintosh System 6 and its predecessors, which could boot and run from a single floppy disc. Yes, there were Mac ROMs on the board, shut up. Nobody likes a smart-ass. Where was I?)

Ah yes, the Pi. Not too difficult to set up, although more complex that this page lets on. You do have to give the Pi a static IP address on your network, which isn't addressed here:

[pi-hole.net]

Not difficult if you're at all familiar with *nix, just a matter of changing a couple of lines in an IP config file to match your network settings (if you aren't cognizant on IP addresses and name servers, and/or don't know how to look up yours on your router, I wouldn't bother with this hack, BTW).

[www.jeffgeerling.com]

Once everything was hooked up, and I'd changed my Airport router to go to the Pi's IP address for its DNS server, I rebooted the Pi, plugged it into an Ethernet switch (which can be anywhere on your network) and shoved it into the corner where it will presumably stay for years.

Sure enough, big, annoying advertisements instantly vanished from ad-heavy sites. I thought there was a little latency in the first few pages I loaded, but that appears to have more or less gone away after about an hour of use.

So in short: it's a bit more complex to set up than advertised, but not too daunting if you (like me) have a minimal *nix skill set and know your way around basic router settings. Good use of a Pi and memory card that were otherwise just gathering dust.

I'll keep using it for a while and report back later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018