advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MacBook computers
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 29, 2018 09:57AM
I’m looking for a new computer for my wife, who is a very light user. I like the MacBook, which is lightweight and has a retina screen. Specs are:

12-inch MacBook 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 - Space Gray
Originally released June 2017
12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
480p FaceTime camera
Intel HD Graphics 615

Of course, there is that one port problem.

Anyone has one of these? What do you think?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MacBook computers
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 29, 2018 10:22AM
Just how "light" ...? An iPad might be more suitable if it's VERY light. A MacBook Air would be more suitable if doing any real "work."

The one-port problem is a big one. Messing with the big adapters that pass power can be a big deal. A charging USB 3.0 dock of any quality is $200.

Also, it doesn't have Thunderbolt.

While it's okay for email or light word processing, the latest MS Office apps are surprisingly hard on the CPU and IMHO they beachball excessively on a MacBook. It throttles down after a few seconds when pressed. It's got a chip designed for mobile devices and not for general computing. It's not designed for "work."

For most people similarly positioned, a 13-inch MacBook Air would be better, even with the last-gen chip and last-gen Thunderbolt in the Air. Being able to connect a flash drive without a dongle and without losing your ability to charge your computer are both very nice advantages. The loss of the Retina display is not a big deal if you're 1. not doing design work and 2. not aged to the point where your eyes are easily fatigued.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 29, 2018 11:17AM
keyboard problems.

Get a MacBook Air or 13" MacBook
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 29, 2018 11:41AM
I see nothing wrong with your choice. One port is irrelevant. Get a dropbox account.

13" non touchbar macbooks are pretty cheap... but heavy in compatison.

How light is "light" -- I could go with the iPad as an option too... which funny, has *less* than one port.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 29, 2018 11:42AM
Will she ever need more than one port at a time?

I almost got a 12" MacBook, but then instead got a 13" MacBook Pro with the regular function keys rather than the touch bar. Two ports instead of four. Love it. Battery life is literally ally day. Screen is noitceably bigger than 12". Footprint is nearly identical to my son's 11" Air. Light and easy to carry.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 29, 2018 11:47AM
I second the iPad and add a keyboard case. The specs vs a MacBook or MBA are really competitive.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 29, 2018 11:56AM
Follow-up to OP:

My wife is a technophobe. She uses her current MBP for email and web surfing. She occasionally uses Word for short documents, which would be nice for her to continue using rather than Pages because she is so used to Word. I’m not sure if her current copy of Word is eligible to install on a new computer.

I don’t think the port problem would be too big of a deal as long as she can print wirelessly and occasionally bu to a flash drive. I don’t think she would adapt easily to iOS from OSX.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 11:56AM by Ammo.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 29, 2018 12:39PM
I don't really see the one port as an issue anymore. What is she really going to use a port for? It seems like you can get a USB3 hub for 30-50 pretty easily, that would give all the ports she could ever want, and so not a reason to pick a laptop anymore.

I am not all convinced that an ipad is a replacement for a MacBook; the ipad with a keyboard seems clunky, and as you note, it runs iOs apps, not the Os X.

I think if the screen resolution and display and the form factor work for her, it seems like a good choice. Now there are rumors of a new updated MacBook coming out this summer though?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 29, 2018 12:46PM
Sarcany
While it's okay for email or light word processing, the latest MS Office apps are surprisingly hard on the CPU and IMHO they beachball excessively on a MacBook. It throttles down after a few seconds when pressed. It's got a chip designed for mobile devices and not for general computing. It's not designed for "work."

I used this machine for 3 months and that was not my experience with it. Nary a beach ball. And it does not throttle down after a few seconds, though after sustained 100% CPU use (I tested with Handbrake) it will throttle to about 2.2 GHz after about 5 minutes. At 100% CPU. If someone buys an ultralight machine for that use case, they bought the wrong machine. The MacBook is good enough for general computing.

My mom has the 2016 m5 MacBook (8/500) and loves it. She used an iPad and a Mac Mini previously but likes having almost everything in a light portable and docks it with a $70 4-port dock which gives her 2xUSB3, VGA out to her old 19" monitor and pass through charging.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 29, 2018 04:36PM
She uses her current MBP for email and web surfing. She occasionally uses Word for short documents, which would be nice for her to continue using rather than Pages because she is so used to Word.

I've got a 2015 1.2GHz MacBook.

I like it well enough, and if she just uses it for the above, she'll probably be ok, especially if she quits email and/or Word while surfing.

But at only 8G, I run out of memory frequently and get slowdowns with just a few apps and Safari tabs open. It seemed fine with the original 10.10 OS but now feels a little slow in some areas, with 10.12.

A better CPU and GPU would result in a better experience, and make up for the lack of memory. So she may be happy. Many here have said 4G is plenty for light use.

But I'll never own another 'Book that maxes out at 8G.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 29, 2018 09:11PM
Folks, I can't speak to the MacBook, but the new MacBook Pros have the same keyboard mechanism, and they are notorious for failing due to dust in the keyboard. Some sites are reporting 25% failure rate!

It's your money; I wouldn't buy one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018