advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
BMW X3 3.0 Anyone familiar with this car?
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 30, 2018 05:19PM
Anyone have knowledge about the BMW X3 3.0 ? As a used vehicle? 67k miles, getting a great price but dont want to enter into an expensive repair scenario on a mediocre car..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: BMW X3 3.0 Anyone familiar with this car?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 30, 2018 05:36PM
I happened to come across one of these yesterday with a "For Sale" on it. Not sure what year it was, but it was of relatively recent vintage. Asking price was $7700.

Between what I consider to be a relatively low sell price combined with the fact that BMWs with a few miles on them are known to be expensive to own, I reached the conclusion I would not touch that thing with a ten foot pole.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 30, 2018 05:46PM
I don't have a current subscription but Consumer Reports usually has an indicator in the Car Issue of past model reliability. BMW has had some hits and misses that last decade if I recall and Audi has seen a resurgence in reliability among German brands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2018 05:47PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 30, 2018 07:13PM
I have an X3 and like it a lot, but it is a lease and still relatively new.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 30, 2018 07:37PM
IIRC, recent BMW models eventually require an engine "rebuild" (cam chain replacement, valve adjustment, upper cylinder carbon removal, etc.) sometime after 70k miles that is in the $1500-$2000 range when done at the dealer.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 30, 2018 09:00PM
K-man, you are best asking the question on a bimmer forum, where you'll get an earful of advice. But I get asking in here, too.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 30, 2018 10:18PM
Providing the model year will help in getting accurate info.
2011 and on are built in SC, prior years were not and are a different platform altogether.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 31, 2018 06:37AM
been shopping for cars the last couple.
here's a few sites that have some info.

[www.kbb.com]

[www.carcomplaints.com]

[www.goodcarbadcar.net]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 31, 2018 08:19AM
Generally repairs on a BMW are going to be both more frequent and more costly then typical Japanese and Americans models.
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 31, 2018 03:48PM
I had an X5 3.0. It was a good car when everything and I mean EVERYTHING was covered during the first 50k miles: Brakes, windshield wipers EVERYTHING. The next 50k miles I came to realize that if I ever own a BMW again it will be within the coverage time only. Every time the car was brought in for oil change or service it was $1000.

One strange example was that I got a ticket because my license plate light was out. Most cars take a replacement halogen bulb for about a $3 fix. The X5 had an un unreplaceable LED that was soldered onto a circuit board. You couldn't buy just the circuit board, but had to buy a whole new assembly. It was over $400 for the parts - but the best part was the 'assembly' had to be painted because it came with exterior pieces. All in all it was almost $600.

Then the led lights on the radio started going out. No loss of functionality, it just made it hard to read the clock or stations. BMW wanted $1800 to replace the radio. I found a guy online who repaired these. It was $75 to pull, $100 to fix and another $75 to reinstall the radio.

All in all, it was a good car, just very expensive to maintain.

JPK
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 31, 2018 04:25PM
I've got an X1, bought it as a demo with 3K on it. Warranty ran out a couple months ago. Only had one issue, the valve cover gasket sprung a leak. Their warranty service is outstanding. But, I would never go to the dealership for work, on any make of car. Best car I've ever owned in terms of drivability. The only thing I would worry about is the 8 speed trans. Seems tight, but only have 21K.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 31, 2018 05:18PM
"The next 50k miles I came to realize that if I ever own a BMW again it will be within the coverage time only"

for any car. Just drove home a new lease. When the lease is up. Adios.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 31, 2018 06:42PM
JPK
One strange example was that I got a ticket because my license plate light was out. Most cars take a replacement halogen bulb for about a $3 fix. The X5 had an un unreplaceable LED that was soldered onto a circuit board. You couldn't buy just the circuit board, but had to buy a whole new assembly. It was over $400 for the parts - but the best part was the 'assembly' had to be painted because it came with exterior pieces. All in all it was almost $600.

What year was your X5? I'm assuming first generation if it was a 3.0i, and everything I'm seeing shows it as having halogens for the license plate bulb. It sounds like you had a bad dealer that overcharged you for services...

Being able to do some work yourself, and sites like realoem.com (parts lists), and fcpeuro.com (to buy parts), various model specific forums, and having a good independent mechanic are very helpful in maintaining an older BMW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018