advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1Password 7
Posted by: roshi
Date: May 30, 2018 06:58PM
I don't really understand what I am getting when I switch from 1password 6 to the new subscription model of 7. I don't mind paying $36 a year, 6 was such a great product, but the apparent changes to 7 are above my head. I don't get it.

What are all of your opinions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1Password 7
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 30, 2018 07:17PM
Haven't done so yet, but I intend to buy the perpetual license upgrade rather than subscribe. The LastPass hacks are evidence that controlling your own data is rather important and both Adobe and Microsoft provide compelling arguments against putting your trust in a subscription service.

Sometimes no-worky link for one-time purchase:
[1password.onfastspring.com]

As for what features make it worthwhile, I'm intrigued by the app-integration which allows you to more easily enter passwords in various applications other than web browsers; and formatted notes, tho I don't like having to use Markdown for it; looks like you can reorganize the contents of a vault by category; and float windows for notes/passwords, etc. to more easily copy/paste between them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2018 07:27PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 30, 2018 07:20PM
Roshi,

You don't have to switch to the subscription model when upgrading to 7. You can still buy a non-subscription version. I'll be buying it, even though I can't run it yet since I'm still using OS 10.11 El Capitan. I want to have the new flavor of 1Password for the time I upgrade to a newer version of the OS. That way, after I upgrade the OS, I can move to the non-subscription versions of 1Password 7 without thinking about it. I don't want to worry about a non-subscription version being discontinued by the time I move to Sierra or newer.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 30, 2018 07:32PM
I bought it years ago and did not need to pay anything

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 30, 2018 07:37PM
mattkime

That was V2 or V3. V7 just came out
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 30, 2018 08:16PM
I’m ‘stuck’ on Sierra do no v7 for me.
Date: May 30, 2018 08:24PM
sekker

That was a bit vague.

You mean that you can't satisfy the minimum system requirement?

(Requires at least OS X 10.12.)

Date: May 30, 2018 09:08PM
Sarcany
sekker

That was a bit vague.

You mean that you can't satisfy the minimum system requirement?

(Requires at least OS X 10.12.)

Sorry, I have other programs that break under 10.12. So 10.11 is it for me, and v7 needs 10.12.
Date: May 30, 2018 09:42PM
space-time
mattkime

Sorry if my statement was unclear. I did not need to pay to upgrade from v6 to v7.

Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 30, 2018 09:58PM
mattkime
space-time
mattkime

Sorry if my statement was unclear. I did not need to pay to upgrade from v6 to v7.

What makes that unclear is that it is a paid upgrade. So how did you get the upgrade without paying? did you buy v6 recently? You say you had it from years ago. I am also not able to upgrade since my Mac can't install 10.12 and that is required for this upgrade (otherwise I would pay unless it was really free).
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 31, 2018 02:55AM
michaelb
mattkime
space-time
mattkime

What makes that unclear is that it is a paid upgrade. So how did you get the upgrade without paying? did you buy v6 recently? You say you had it from years ago. I am also not able to upgrade since my Mac can't install 10.12 and that is required for this upgrade (otherwise I would pay unless it was really free).

maybe he just tried using the key from V6 and V7 accepted that key for some reason.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 31, 2018 06:51AM
I am not going beyond 1PW6. I have not used it in ages, as Safari has stepped up to the plate for everything I need.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: roshi
Date: May 31, 2018 01:16PM
thanks Sarcany - the sometimes no worky link worked
Date: May 31, 2018 02:34PM
michaelb
What makes that unclear is that it is a paid upgrade. So how did you get the upgrade without paying? did you buy v6 recently? You say you had it from years ago.

Hrm, maybe its because I'm on my work computer...

But here's my personal purchases -

I bought 1Password v2.5 for $19.95 in 2008.
I bought 1Password v3 for $19.95 in 2009.
I paid $24.99 to upgrade to 1Password v4 in 2013.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 31, 2018 02:48PM
Sarcany,

Do you have a link for buying the perpetual license for the Windows version of 1Password 7?

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 31, 2018 02:58PM
Sarcany, Is that 1Password 7 for Mac link to purchase a license for new users? Or is this an upgrade for current users? There's zero information on the page. It's asking for payment details. But I have no idea what I'm buying. LOL. Very frustrating.
Date: May 31, 2018 05:42PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Do you have a link for buying the perpetual license for the Windows version of 1Password 7?

[discussions.agilebits.com]

We do not currently offer a standalone version of 1Password for Windows. It is only available with a membership...

Date: May 31, 2018 05:54PM
3d
Sarcany, Is that 1Password 7 for Mac link to purchase a license for new users? Or is this an upgrade for current users? There's zero information on the page. It's asking for payment details. But I have no idea what I'm buying. LOL. Very frustrating.

They have not been very clear on the subject, but I think that it's BOTH the upgrade and sale/introductory price for v7.

...Also of note: Some people who use Dropbox to sync have complained that 1PW stopped syncing changes after upgrading to v7.

This is an accurate observation. It converts the old vault to a new format that uses "tags" instead of folders among other changes and when it does so, it copies the data to a new file in a default location outside of Dropbox. You need to set it to use Dropbox again in the pref's.

Posted by: 3d
Date: May 31, 2018 06:35PM
Thanks for the info!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2018 09:48AM
How does 1PW work on a 'Phone?

I've had a few licenses but never used the application, then when I got a 'Phone, still didn't use it because there was no 'Phone app.

Then when there was, I didn't use it because I think you had to copy the password and paste it into the app and that seemed more trouble than it's worth.

So now, how to you use it on a 'Phone. I'll look for an old license. I may not be eligible for upgrade pricing, but if the purchase and not the subscription is available, I might succumb to v.7.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 01, 2018 11:28AM
Works great on an iOS device. Just need to buy the app
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2018 07:15PM
Thanks, but I was hoping for a 'how does it work' more than a 'how well does it work'.

If I have to CnP a password from 1PW7 to a window in every app/site, then I'll pass.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 01, 2018 08:11PM
RAMd®d
Thanks, but I was hoping for a 'how does it work' more than a 'how well does it work'.

If I have to CnP a password from 1PW7 to a window in every app/site, then I'll pass.

Logins, encrypted notes, etc. are synced via "vaults." These vaults are encrypted pretty securely and can be automatically copied/updated between your devices by various means including Dropbox, iCloud and the 1Password servers. Once set up, the process is seamless, and setup is very easy.

You can copy-paste if you want, or need to because you need to enter a password in an unsupported app.

In Safari, when you're at a login-field, you can access 1PW via the little box with an arrow icon, same basic steps that you might use to print a web page or whatever. You activate 1PW from there, enter your master PW, select the login you want to use and it autofills the form in Safari.

The app also has a basic browser, and tho a recent update messed up the ability to quickly switch between the browser and the main interface, it's pretty straightforward to use. Select a login, it loads the site and enters the login info in the right fields. Proceed with your browsing from there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018