advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sinSEARly?!......Sears closing 72 more stores [ list of stores included ].....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 31, 2018 06:55PM
......not good....

Sears names dozens of the 72 stores it plans to close in the near future
Sears has identified another 100 unprofitable stores.
It will begin closing sales at 72 of these stores "in the near future."
The retailer said it continues to evaluate its store fleet and will make further adjustments "as needed and as warranted."

......Sears Holdings said Thursday it will be closing more than 70 additional stores in 2018 as its sales continue to erode, dropping more than 30 percent in the latest quarter from a year ago.

The retailer has identified 100 unprofitable stores in total, and it will begin closing sales at 72 of these stores "in the near future."

"We continue to evaluate our network of stores, which are a critical component in our transformation, and will make further adjustments as needed and as warranted," Sears said in a statement announcing its fiscal first-quarter results.

The department store chain has been caught in a vicious cycle — shuttering weak stores to reduce costs. But even as it closes more stores, sales fall further. In the latest period, Sears said roughly two-thirds of its sales decline was tied to store closures.

The company named 63 locations it plans to close; they are mapped here. Sears will list the additional nine locations in a forthcoming update.

the end is near.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sinSEARly?!......Sears closing 72 more stores [ list of stores included ].....
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 31, 2018 07:27PM
Phew, the two I frequent are not on the list.
Re: sinSEARly?!......Sears closing 72 more stores [ list of stores included ].....
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 31, 2018 07:36PM
mrbigstuff
Phew, the two I frequent are not on the list.

Neither are mine thank goodness.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 31, 2018 07:41PM
I can’t believe it, but mine is STILL not on the list!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 31, 2018 07:43PM
Well, one of them is down the road a bit in Springfield, MA. That leaves a store in Holyoke as the closest full store, and somehow the Kmart in Holyoke also stays open.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 31, 2018 08:13PM
Lost our Sears in the January purge, but the KMart is still cheating the hangman.
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 31, 2018 08:15PM
That K-Mart—I think they have a voodoo priestess sacrificing chickens every Saturday midnight.

Although the more likely explanation is that K-Mart has low-priced goods for sale in an area with a lot of people who can't afford anything else. Still, open after all these years...

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: tronnei
Date: May 31, 2018 08:20PM
The Sears of my childhood, where my late uncle spent his entire career, is finally biting the dust.

As I remember it in the 1960s. Brookdale Shopping Center, Brooklyn Center, MN
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 31, 2018 09:12PM
My zombie Kmart is in a sweet spot where Walmart can't find a place close enough to run them out of town--but barely. The store sucks, though, with sloppy shelves, gaps in the stock and overdue for fresh decor.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 31, 2018 09:53PM
Pretty soon it will be easier to list the stores that are still open rather than the ones closing...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 01, 2018 12:15AM
The Puente Hills Mall store finally got the axe. FYI, the Puente Hills Mall served as the Twin Pines Mall in Back To The Future and is the mall where yours truly hung out as a teenager.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 01, 2018 07:27AM
They've gotta fund those pension plans somehow. They haven't been able to do it with profits.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 01, 2018 08:00AM
SHLD $2.81 a share?? It's almost a penny stock emoticon-tv-015

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 01, 2018 01:34PM
Mine, too. I watched my first MLB All-star game in color at that store. The phosphors in that TV were really cranking. Sears survived after the rest of Brookdale was demolished because Sears owned the physical space.

tronnei
The Sears of my childhood, where my late uncle spent his entire career, is finally biting the dust.

The Sears store we shop at in Mexico City was expanding when we last shopped there this past winter. It is unaffiliated with the US company.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 01:41PM by Speedy.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 01, 2018 02:05PM
Speedy
Mine, too. I watched my first MLB All-star game in color at that store. The phosphors in that TV were really cranking. Sears survived after the rest of Brookdale was demolished because Sears owned the physical space.

tronnei

My most vivid memory of the store was a beach ball endlessly spinning in mid-air at the end of a vacuum cleaner hose hooked up to the exhaust port of the vacuum, so it was blowing air. Here's a modern video of the effect:

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018