advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
buying stocks
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 31, 2018 08:00PM
So my almost 11 year old had a stock buying/selling exercise in class. Now she wants to do it for real. All I've done though is contribute to my 401k so I don't even know how you buy A stock. Or a couple stocks. All my stocks are in mutual funds.

Posted by: blooz
Date: May 31, 2018 08:18PM
I get a lot of emails about eleven year olds who cracked the stock market and can help me get rich. Want me to forward one to you?

Seriously, I'm with you. Haven't a clue.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: buying stocks
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 31, 2018 08:21PM
I would suggest opening an online brokerage account for her. For now, it would have to be in your name.
Etrade and Scottrade I think are still the largest ones. I've been an Etrade customer for a long time now.
Put money in the account ( certain amount is required to open the account, but doesn't have to be invested, it can just sit as cash while you invest smaller amounts - at least, that's the way it was 15 years ago!).

Then you can buy stocks, or create "watch list" portfolio's of stocks you haven't actually put MONEY in yet.

You can also buy mutual funds, etc, using Etrade. I've got shares of a couple funds, as well as a few individual stocks.

By the way, I can suggest Hershey, Inc as a single stock for a young investor. No stock is 100% safe, but Hershey has an 80 year history of profitable quarters, and paying dividends. Right through the Great Depression, through WWII, through the boom years, through the recession of the 70's.... right up to today. It's not sexy, but it pays dividends (which can "paid" as a dividend reinvestment of more HSY stock, or as "cash" into your account), and it just creeps up fairly reliably. Plus, Chocolate!
I really want to go to the Hershey, Inc annual stockholders meeting some day... it's next to the Hershey Chocolate World musuem and park... Goodies!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 31, 2018 08:59PM
Paul F.
I really want to go to the Hershey, Inc annual stockholders meeting some day... it's next to the Hershey Chocolate World musuem and park... Goodies!

Taking the wife and kids to Hershey Park this weekend and staying at the Lodge. Looks to be a washout though... it's become sort of an annual thing. Kids love the free chocolate smelling lotion and soaps in the room!
Date: May 31, 2018 09:05PM
Scottrade is now www.tdameritrade.com. I think it's 2-3000 or so to open an account. Transfer some money in and away you go. Check the fees in buying and selling. It might not be worth it to go hog wild buying 2 shares of this and 1 share of that. Fees can add up quickly.
Date: May 31, 2018 09:35PM
3d
Scottrade is now www.tdameritrade.com. I think it's 2-3000 or so to open an account. Transfer some money in and away you go. Check the fees in buying and selling. It might not be worth it to go hog wild buying 2 shares of this and 1 share of that. Fees can add up quickly.

That was it! I knew somebody merged with somebody... I just couldn't remember the other player (Ameritrade, then the TD folks).

I'd LOVE to explore some of the Hershey-built places in Hershey PA... I know the conference center, hospital, children's cancer center, park, theme park, museum, and a couple other things were all built by the Milton S. Hershey Foundation, which owns a controlling interest in HSY.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 31, 2018 09:38PM
Hershey Park is fun, and their summer concerts are amazing if it doesn't rain.

I think there are some other online trading accounts with small minimums - I use TDAmeritrade however.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 31, 2018 09:53PM
You can open a custodial investment account for her with Schwab for a $100 minimum. It will cost $4.95 for an online trade.

[www.schwab.com]
Date: May 31, 2018 11:50PM
Michael
You can open a custodial investment account for her with Schwab for a $100 minimum. It will cost $4.95 for an online trade.

[www.schwab.com]

Damn... that's a good deal! ETrade, back when I started, was significantly higher on a minimum balance.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 01, 2018 12:55AM
I just bought a custom stock for a Ruger 10/22 I am building.

[www.rimfirecentral.com]

Just got an e-mail with tracking number. IT'S ON THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 05:45PM by Racer X.
Date: June 01, 2018 06:41AM
Michael

[www.schwab.com]

That sounds good to me.

Posted by: TLB
Date: June 01, 2018 06:58AM
Robinhood. but tdameritrade has free investor training that is pretty good.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 01, 2018 07:32AM
RobinHood is precisely what you want. It is targeted to what your son is wanting to do because it is designed for millenials, is easy to use and (essentially) charges no fees for trading. The app is available for iOS and Android. I mainly use it on my iPad.

I use it for day trading (I think there is a significant balance required for instant settlement) which is probably what your son will want to do. I often trade the same company multiple times a day, often when the swing in stock price is only tenths of a percent (I'm retired and have plenty of free time many days so it is a bit like playing a first person shooter except with more on the line). Not wise for the long or short term but a fun way to learn (while occasionally being burned). But if you set him up with $100 he won't break you but will still have enough to trade and learn. The first link is a step by step tutorial. It looks more complicated to use the app than it actually is.

[www.businessinsider.com]

[medium.com]

[support.robinhood.com]-

[support.robinhood.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 01, 2018 07:47AM
Racer X

What?

I thought we were talking about soup?

Posted by: pipiens
Date: June 01, 2018 09:06AM
smiley-score010
Racer X

[www.rimfirecentral.com]
Date: June 01, 2018 10:39AM
Speedy
RobinHood is precisely what you want. It is targeted to what your son is wanting to do because it is designed for millenials, is easy to use and (essentially) charges no fees for trading. The app is available for iOS and Android. I mainly use it on my iPad.

I use it for day trading (I think there is a significant balance required for instant settlement) which is probably what your son will want to do. I often trade the same company multiple times a day, often when the swing in stock price is only tenths of a percent (I'm retired and have plenty of free time many days so it is a bit like playing a first person shooter except with more on the line). Not wise for the long or short term but a fun way to learn (while occasionally being burned). But if you set him up with $100 he won't break you but will still have enough to trade and learn. The first link is a step by step tutorial. It looks more complicated to use the app than it actually is.

[www.businessinsider.com]

[medium.com]

[support.robinhood.com]-

[support.robinhood.com]

Even better.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 01, 2018 10:45AM
Hard to buy a good beef stock. They all taste metallic to me, even from a carton.
Date: June 01, 2018 10:54AM
Speedy
I use it for day trading (I think there is a significant balance required for instant settlement) which is probably what your son will want to do. I often trade the same company multiple times a day, often when the swing in stock price is only tenths of a percent (I'm retired and have plenty of free time many days so it is a bit like playing a first person shooter except with more on the line).

Come tax time,,, If someone does his own taxes and uses Turbotax/HRblock, etc does a day trader have to list the hundreds of trades separately?? Or does the brokerage/Robin Hood send the day trader one comprehensive list of trades made in the past year for tax purposes. And this is entered once? How does that work?
Date: June 01, 2018 01:01PM
3d
Speedy
I use it for day trading (I think there is a significant balance required for instant settlement) which is probably what your son will want to do. I often trade the same company multiple times a day, often when the swing in stock price is only tenths of a percent (I'm retired and have plenty of free time many days so it is a bit like playing a first person shooter except with more on the line).

Come tax time,,, If someone does his own taxes and uses Turbotax/HRblock, etc does a day trader have to list the hundreds of trades separately?? Or does the brokerage/Robin Hood send the day trader one comprehensive list of trades made in the past year for tax purposes. And this is entered once? How does that work?

I don't know, this light day trading is something new for me this year. Previously I just bought and/or sold every few months and I got pages and pages of stuff, all I printed for my tax preparer without paying much attention to it.

Posted by: space-time
Date: June 01, 2018 01:52PM
when I posted in 2014 about robinhood, many of you were skeptical

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: June 02, 2018 06:13AM
space-time
when I posted in 2014 about robinhood, many of you were skeptical

[forums.macresource.com]

Point taken. Seems like they now have been around long enough to warrant a second look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015