advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Free All!
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 31, 2018 09:29PM
I closed today on my “stick & brick” house that I’ve lived in for almost 36 years (Suffolk County, Long Island, NY). My RV is in a Suffolk County, NY campground now and, next week, I’ll head out to Oregon. Since 2010, I’ve logged over 90,000 miles via RV travel. Now, I won’t have to schlep back to NY; I’ll keep traveling and exploring as long as I’m healthy enough to safely drive an RV. The adventure continues FULL TIME! cool smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Free All!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 31, 2018 09:34PM
Sounds like fun! Curious, what do spend on fuel in a year? Do you tow a vehicle behind?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 31, 2018 09:36PM
Wow! Freedom!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 31, 2018 09:38PM
Dude! Right on!
What part of Oregon is your target? Or, just the whole state?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: May 31, 2018 09:44PM
there is LOTS of great camping in OR

yer livin' the dream - enjoy!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 01, 2018 04:29AM
I've fantasized about doing just that when I retire. But it may just remain a fantasy, as my wife is not too keen on that idea, and my daughter would like to know that she will have a place that is familiar, where she is welcome after she graduates.
Date: June 01, 2018 07:33AM
My RV is a Super-C, Class 7 HDT (Heavy Duty Truck). It started out as a 39’ Freightliner M-2 cab chassis built in 12/2014. Dynamax added a house/apartment in early 2015. I purchased it new in 5/2014 and it had ~ 200 miles on the odometer (it was driven from the Dynamax factory in Elkhart, IN to the RV dealer in MI where I bought it). Specifically, it’s a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB. Since 5/2014, I’ve put another 38,000+ miles on it in four years and, the 9 liter, 350HP Kummins (damned Forum spelling restrictions) Diesel engine routinely gets 10 mpg (I’ve seen 12.3 mpg). THE GVWR IS 33,000# and the CVWR is 54,000#. I initially towed my Prius & Honda Silverwing in a custom trailer but, that trailer was stolen! Right now, I’ll be leaving my Prius on Long Island at my sister’s house (Prius cannot be towed “four down”). The reason I’m heading to Caldwell, ID is to check out a 2017 Volvo 870 Class-8 tractor that was custom built by Volvo to be an RV hauler. As nice as my Class-7 is, Class-8 HDTs put everything else to shame (a health issue is forcing the sale of the Volvo). Volvo tractors, when used as RV haulers, often have a Smart Car parked sideways just behind the cab! A fifth wheel trailer completes the package. Each year, more and more RVers see the wisdom of using Class-7 or Class-8 HDTs for RVing. The safety factor HDTs offer over even large pickup trucks is considerable and, fuel economy of an HDT vs a big pickup is usually better when pulling today’s BIG trailers. HDTs are designed and built for continuous commercial use and, the engine and transmission are, with routine service, expected to provide 1,000,000 miles or more of service! Large pickup trucks start ~ $60,000 and, can easily climb close to $100,000 when decked out. Even after spending that significant amount of money on a high end pickup, it’s still NOWHERE near as comfortable as HDTs routinely are. I do have an exit plan in place for when I am no longer able to safely drive but, I figure that as long as I’m healthy enough to drive a big RV, I’m going for it! I’ve seen FAR too many “oldsters” lament what they didn’t do when they could have. That’s a club that I DON’T want to belong to. Adventure awaits! driving smiley

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 09:45PM by testcase.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 01, 2018 07:56AM
When your life is permanently mobile, how do you deal with having a permanent address or state of residency for things like drivers license, taxes, voting, receiving mail, etc?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 01, 2018 12:34PM
A neighbor parks their class 7 between the my driveway and mailbox. It annoys the mail carrier because the recycling container blocks driving up to the mailbox if the RV isn't parked perfectly (which it never is).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 01, 2018 12:38PM
Go big or go home I guess?
Date: June 01, 2018 01:56PM
GGD
When your life is permanently mobile, how do you deal with having a permanent address or state of residency for things like drivers license, taxes, voting, receiving mail, etc?

There are services RVers, over the road truckers and others subscribe to (available in several states). I switched my domicile to SD awhile back knowing I was going to be a Full-Time RVer so, officially, I’m a resident of SD. I can call or contact my service online and tell them where I want my mail sent. SO much can be done online these days; I get VERY little actual mail these days. Drivers Licenses are good for ~ eight years now so, after you jump through the necessary hoops, you’re good there for years. Voting can be done by absentee ballot if you’re away during elections. I attended several RV Boot Camps. RVBCs explain all this and much much more. ANYONE thinking of getting into RVing would be VERY well served by attending an RVBC!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 03:38PM by testcase.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 02, 2018 01:40PM
Jealous!!

Seriously, that's pretty great! Sounds like a lot of fun.

I want to buy a house in MI"s U.P. when I fully retire and drive a motorhome to warmer climes during the winter months.

Happy trails to you!

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015