advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: Are you a Costco member? What makes it worthwhile?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 02, 2018 09:19PM
I posted this about 7 months ago - [forums.macresource.com]

I recently decided to get a Costco membership. I probably should have gotten one as soon as we moved to Madison, WI. (and away from NYC...where costco is prohibitive to a lot of people due to practicality issues) I became a member for the following reasons -

1) Their generic brand stuff is high quality and well priced. (Olive oil is particular)

2) Honestly thats it.

---

We spent $100 there pretty easily and were happy with what we got. I need to find out if they have organic eggs. I'm interested in their meat as long as its organic. I was impressed that they had 93 octane gas for 50¢/gallon less than our local gas station. I'll probably start buying paper products from them instead of shopping amazon or target sales - although I am kind of picky about my Viva paper towels. I might buy tires there. I might end up moving some of my amazon purchases to costco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 09:23PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: Are you a Costco member? What makes it worthwhile?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 02, 2018 09:32PM
I have been a member for a long long time. I mostly buy chicken breast in bulk about every three months and I get my Christmas wrapping paper there. So probably not worth it to me and I don’t think I will renew. I am uncomfortable in crowds anymore so it’s hard for me to go there.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 02, 2018 09:35PM
glasses. contacts. gas. bottled water. vitamin supplements. bananas. cut up fruit platters. a sense of promise, adventure, and possibilities as i shop. that last one also applies to why i like Apple stores though i actually buy things at costco. at apple stores i just dream.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 02, 2018 09:36PM
......would never join a club......that would have me as a member.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 02, 2018 09:37PM
Their branded trash bags are great. Eggs here are organic.

Im pretty good about price comparing, there are somethings Costo is more for. I always scan with my Target app. But most often not. If you only have a family of 2, harder to stretch. We are 4... things we buy pretty regularly that I cant find cheaper: eggs, granola, OJ, trash bags (theirs are awesome), chickn breast, hamburger, salmon, block cheese, string cheese, salami, raviolis, pastrami, cottage cheese, starbucks instant coffee, spices of any kind, sliced sourdough bread, sensodyne tooth paste, costco soap, energy bars, baby wipes, flushable wipes, makeup remover wipes. rotisserie chicken (which are 2X the size of the supermarket and make a couple of meals)

Im sure there are other things specific to us not on that list, About $200 a month

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 02, 2018 09:43PM
Only members for thirty-three and half years, so far... when it hits thirty-five years maybe we can let you know. :-)

It just boils down to if you buy enough stuff to make it worthwhile, it's worth it. If you have the self control to not overspend, and waste a bunch of what you buy, it's fantastic. As you note, their house brand stuff is great. Minimal downside. Enjoy the ride. If you don't like it, they'll refund the entire year's membership fee even if you cancel after 11 months.
==
Posted by: davester
Date: June 02, 2018 10:10PM
They have bargains on a great selection of cheese (parmesan, brie, farmhouse cheddars, jarlsberg, etc). Their seafood and meats are generally excellent, though a bit dependent on the season. Their packaged goods (cookies, paper products, etc are a great deal. They do really well on a whole bunch of "gourmet staples" (olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, etc). They also have some really nice locally created foods where we are (tamales, indian dishes, etc.) Most importantly, they treat their employees really well. In this regard they are the anti-Walmart. The biggest problem I have with them is being able to store all the stuff from a costco run.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 02, 2018 10:39PM
The problem is... I can never get out of there without spending $100
Posted by: davester
Date: June 02, 2018 10:42PM
mrbigstuff
The problem is... I can never get out of there without spending $1300

FTFU

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 02, 2018 10:43PM
It depends on your family size. Since my son moved out, Our food bills have gone down significantly, so we have to be careful buying perishables. Sometimes I'll pick up my Sister and we can split the bill. I tend to go about once a month and pick up frozen and non-perishables.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 02, 2018 10:50PM
mrbigstuff
The problem is... I can never get out of there without spending $100

That's called the $100 Club btw. Far more members now than back in the '70s.

Vitamins, ground turkey, peanut butter, my jeans, just these 4 items are several hundreds cheaper over the year than at normal stores. Their ground turkey (Tyson here in Seattle) is a staple at our household. I get my herbs/spices in the big bulk bottles their for my dry rubs for pulled pork. About 1/4th of what they would be at a grocery store. And with the amount I use in my rubs and for cooking in general, it doesn't go to waste. Sometimes I will pour off a third and give to the older kid for his apartment.

FWIW, their ground turkey is about $3.00 a pound, and at our local grocery stores, same brand, $5 on sale. Their canned tuna is a good deal too. Now, no torches or pitchforks people angry villagers smiley but I like chunk light tuna, and theirs comes in real, honest to gosh, as god intended, 7 oz cans. Opening 2 5oz cans is too much. Perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 10:58PM by Racer X.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 02, 2018 11:01PM
Look at the carts of other people in the store while you shop. There are some items that you'll see quite often, like a bale of toilet paper.
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 02, 2018 11:37PM
We have been Costco members for a few years now but I am debating whether I should cancel and switch to Sam's Club. Costco is 25 miles away and we really don't go there (although I am a member of the $100 club when I do). Sam's Club is about 4 miles away. But then SC is a member of THAT group.

Storage space is an issue in this house so I cannot load up on each run regardless of where I go. One of my cars is running on Costco purchased tires and I really need to get over there for a rotation.
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 02, 2018 11:56PM
Use their Costco Visa, and get the 1,2,3,4% back. And get the Costco Premium I think it is, and you also earn money. Got $180 back on Costco rebate. And Visa Costco was well over $1,000. Thats a lot of milk, raspberries, hamburger, clothes, tv, and gas, and travel.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 03, 2018 12:10AM
Isn't all meat organic?
Date: June 03, 2018 12:17AM
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

don't get me started.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 03, 2018 12:31AM
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

not really

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 03, 2018 12:36AM
mattkime
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

not really

Proteins are chains of amino acids.

Isn't that the very definition of organic?
Date: June 03, 2018 01:01AM
CHON.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 03, 2018 01:08AM
davester
mrbigstuff
The problem is... I can never get out of there without spending $1300

FTFU

I used to solve this problem by only purchasing what I could carry without a cart. A cube of TP under one arm and a 50 pound bag of cat litter under the other maxed me out.

Did anyone mention prescriptions? Gasoline is one of my regular purchases since their location is on my travel route. Between my and an ex girlfriend's purchases (she is still on my account), the yearly "rebate" always covers the cost of the membership.

One cannot ignore the appeal of the Polish and a soda…

=wr=
Posted by: billb
Date: June 03, 2018 01:08AM
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

Yes, but "organic" usually refers to restricting or prohibiting the use of certain pesticides, fertilizers and other compounds.

Stop changing contexts. :-)

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 03, 2018 07:20AM
organic chicken.
cados in bulk, bananas and other produce.
sometimes an oddball beer.
parm reggiano, goat cheese, blocks of cabot.
occasionally clothes.
huge boxes of cheerios which my spouse devours.
rotisserie chicken.
heavy duty Reynolds wrap for the grill.
occasionally linens.
deals on hard good that I wish I needed. Komodo comes to mind.
use to be, new cells, but now they just seem to carry Samsmug and iPho for T, VzW and Splint.
MILFs

and I just got an additional $3000 off the price of a car I leased plus a $250 cash card.
Plus the money back on the Visa as well as the annual total.

The bad, sometimes very busy if you don't pick your day (like before holidays).
Often loaded with screaming running children unleashed that you are constantly on the look out to be sure there is no collision.
Neighbors who haven't seen each other in 15 minutes jabbering away and unaware of anything or anyone no matter how many times you say excuse me.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: June 03, 2018 07:23AM
billb
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

Yes, but "organic" usually refers to restricting or prohibiting the use of certain pesticides, fertilizers and other compounds.

Disclaimer, I do not belong to Costco, as they are 45 miles away. However, I belong to several smoking and grilling sites. The vast majority of posters love Costco due to price and quality of meat. Seems they are heavy on the "Choice" and "Prime" levels of meat, while many supermarkets feature the lower "select" and mid level "Choice". Easier said than done, but I'm trying to coordinate meeting a friend who lives near and belongs to Costco, so I can load up.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 03, 2018 07:23AM
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

"... we're made of star stuff"
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 03, 2018 08:25AM
Gas is almost 30 cents a gallon cheaper!
Dog food and treats - less necessary now that we are down to 2 big dogs from 4 - but still way better than the pet store
meat - we have a vacuum sealer and freezer to portion it out
eggs
bottled water
glasses - not a frequent purchase but a great deal
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 03, 2018 09:36AM
dollar and a half hot dog lunch

Posted by: wurm
Date: June 03, 2018 10:42AM
Wish there were one closer. Nearest is 20 miles, but that equates to 40+ minutes. Can't justify the membership and trip for the amount of use we'd get out of it.
Date: June 03, 2018 10:43AM
lost in space
dollar and a half hot dog lunch

Or the "free" lunch buffet at the grazing stations.
Posted by: August West
Date: June 03, 2018 10:49AM
Second the vacuum sealer, and regarding crowds, I asked a cashier i know about the slowest time, and I've shopped then whenever possible. Practically empty store.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 03, 2018 11:35AM
wave rider

Polish sausage was removed from the menu a year or two ago at my local Costco. Damn shame, as it was my go-to Costco meal...

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 11:38AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 03, 2018 11:53AM
N-OS X-tasy!
wave rider

Polish sausage was removed from the menu a year or two ago at my local Costco. Damn shame, as it was my go-to Costco meal...

I've always seen both listed on the same sign.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 03, 2018 01:52PM
The 55gal. drum of Steakhouse chili.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 03, 2018 02:26PM
....that ginormous tub of mayo comes in handy......you can bathe in it for softer skin......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 03, 2018 02:54PM
I have bought their pizzas and frozen them in 8 portions, ~$1.25 for two slices. Pork loin roasts for $1.99/lb are my staple. Their clone of Bailey's Irish Cream is cheaper for a 1.5 liter than the 750 ml of O'Mara's at Trader Joes. Kirkland brand drugs can be a penny or less per pill (Sam's Club is similar). If you can tolerate the lack of taste, their 2# brick of mild cheddar is half the regular price at Safeway/Freddy (I wish they had sharp once in a while).

Things to be careful about or avoid:
Their blister packs of apples are crap. Their bags of citrus can go moldy in 5 days if you don't pour everything out of the bag as soon as you get home. I can find boneless/skinless chicken breasts cheaper on sale at Safeway/Freddy. Their house brand of toilet paper is crap, it never tears at the perforations.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 03, 2018 04:34PM
GGD
N-OS X-tasy!
wave rider

I've always seen both listed on the same sign.

Yes, that’s how it used to be here, but no more.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 03, 2018 06:21PM
They actually have good deals on clothes. I get jeans, shorts, some sweatshirts and tops, socks and stuff. They also have good deals on sheets and towels and don’t forget the sweet TV deals around Super Bowl time.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 03, 2018 07:45PM
For a long time I wasn't a member because the closest was quite far away (41 miles or something like that). But they opened a new one less than 2 miles from me and I got a membership.

Since I live alone, I expected it to be like Sam's Club, where I just wouldn't buy enough stuff to justify the cost of the membership. But in the case of Costco, I think it will work out in my favor.

The gas alone is so much cheaper. And I live in an area where an a-hole oil company owns a majority of gas stations and they jack up prices at all their stations by $.20-$.40, even $.50 whenever they feel like it. Then all the other stations quickly follow. So quite often, on a random Thursday gas is $.40 more everywhere than it was the day before. But Costco doesn't play that game. I know when Speedway does their price hikes, I can still get gas at Costco for a reasonable price.

rgG
They actually have good deals on clothes. I get jeans, shorts, some sweatshirts and tops, socks and stuff. They also have good deals on sheets and towels and don’t forget the sweet TV deals around Super Bowl time.

I like some of their clothes, too. It's not a big problem with their return policy but still, it would be nice if you could actually try on clothes in the store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 07:51PM by AllGold.
Date: June 03, 2018 08:14PM
DinerDave
billb
freeradical
Isn't all meat organic?

Disclaimer, I do not belong to Costco, as they are 45 miles away. However, I belong to several smoking and grilling sites. The vast majority of posters love Costco due to price and quality of meat. Seems they are heavy on the "Choice" and "Prime" levels of meat, while many supermarkets feature the lower "select" and mid level "Choice". Easier said than done, but I'm trying to coordinate meeting a friend who lives near and belongs to Costco, so I can load up.

Dave

I get my pork shoulders there. Much of the useless fat cap has been removed, as well as the bone. And it is still cheaper than the grocery store on sale.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 03, 2018 08:23PM
here in NJ you do not need a Costco membership to buy gas at Costco.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 03, 2018 10:38PM
wave rider

Did anyone mention prescriptions?

actually, i should have. i don't get my meds there but Costco is the best source for some meds my dog needed this past year. much cheaper than my vet or walmart. i did pick up some insanely cheap sudafed for myself at costco one time.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 10:38PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 04, 2018 02:25AM
Member since 2003, just checked my card.
Juice, soda, vodka, bottled water, paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, printing paper)
Frozen chicken breast, turkey slices, bread, vitamins/supplements, kid pjs, socks, towels,oil. TVs on sale. Roomba and Dyson V6 stick vac. Gas weekly

And other stuff the wife finds. It pays for itself with the executive credit card. Sister uses the account also. Last year I made $500 cash back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 02:26AM by Carm.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 04, 2018 09:56AM
As mentioned, pretty much everything is a good deal if you use it before it goes bad and are not wasting it. Forgiving return policies are icing on the cake.

Mixed Nuts, TP, Greek Yogurt, berries, all kinds of cheese, olive oil, cereal, peanut butter, jam, sugar, salt, vinegar, ziploc bags, laundry soap, dishwasher soap, dish soap, tortillas, gas, sunscreen, la croix, frozen chicken parts.

They don't sell alcohol in their Maryland stores, but that would be on the list too.

The closest location to me just closed down their photo center, but there others nearby that still have it.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 04, 2018 10:04AM
I am not sure it is worth it for food, but that may depend on how disciplined you are and your shopping and cooking habits.

But for other goods, like electronics, the return policies and the extended warranty are worth it. We have returned goods that have failed. I have used the extended warranty more than once as well (they paid to fix a vizio TV we bought in the 2nd year after the vizio warranty ended). I am mixed about this though because they used to take Amex, and so that gave me a 3rd year for free (company + Costco + amex) and that isn't true on my visa.
Posted by: TLB
Date: June 04, 2018 10:28AM
michaelb
But for other goods, like electronics, the return policies and the extended warranty are worth it. We have returned goods that have failed. I have used the extended warranty more than once as well (they paid to fix a vizio TV we bought in the 2nd year after the vizio warranty ended). I am mixed about this though because they used to take Amex, and so that gave me a 3rd year for free (company + Costco + amex) and that isn't true on my visa.

Are you sure? Dishwasher at Costco was $150-200 less than other retailers. Costco adds a year to manufacturer's warranty, use their VISA and get 2 year's extended and it is now 4 years at no cost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018