advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
watch what happens?!....woman guilty of distracted driving looking @ Apple Watch....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 03, 2018 12:47PM
.....as if drivers need yet another distraction...

Ontario Judge Finds Woman Guilty of Distracted Driving for Looking at Apple Watch

.....A Canadian woman has been found guilty of distracted driving for looking at her Apple Watch, despite claims that she was just checking the time while waiting for a red light to change (via The National Post).

A judge in the Ontario Court of Justice ordered University of Guelph student Victoria Ambrose to pay a $400 fine, after determining that she had spent too much time staring at her smartwatch while being in control of a vehicle.

According to court documents, the woman was ticketed after a police officer noticed the glow from an electronic gadget coming from the woman's car, which was stationary beside his cruiser at a red light.

The officer reported that he saw the woman look up and down at the device four times in 20 seconds, and then fail to move forward when the light turned green. The officer then shone a light into her car and she began to drive. When he pulled her over, he realized that she had been looking at an Apple Watch.

In Ontario, it is illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices, such as smartphones, portable media players, GPS systems and laptops.

Previously, the province had not designated the Apple Watch or other smartwatches as being illegal to use while operating a motor vehicle. However, in judging Ambrose's case, Justice of the Peace Lloyd Phillipps rejected her argument that the Apple Watch being on her wrist satisfies an exemption for devices securely mounted inside the vehicle.

"Checking one's timepiece is normally done in a moment, even if it had to be touched to be activated," said Phillipps.

"Despite the Apple Watch being smaller than a cellular phone, on the evidence, it is a communication device capable of receiving and transmitting electronic data. While attached to the defendant's wrist, it is no less a source of distraction than a cellphone taped to someone's wrist.

“The key to determining this matter is distraction. It is abundantly clear from the evidence that Ms. Ambrose was distracted when the officer made his observations."

Safety tests carried out in the U.K. in 2015 concluded that using a smartwatch while driving is more dangerous than using a smartphone.

According to the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL), a driver reading a message on an Apple Watch would take 2.52 seconds to react to an emergency maneuver, whereas a driver talking to another passenger reacts in 0.9 seconds.

another distraction.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 12:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: watch what happens?!....woman guilty of distracted driving looking @ Apple Watch....
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 03, 2018 01:00PM
Oh good grief. Do we really need to start issuing distracted driving citations when at a red light? Sure it can be annoying when the light changes and people don't move. That happens without electronic devices.
Re: watch what happens?!....woman guilty of distracted driving looking @ Apple Watch....
Posted by: jh
Date: June 03, 2018 01:15PM
I suspect from the account given that she was doing more than checking the time. Whether the watch meets the letter of the law in Ontario may be debatable.

In my state it is illegal to text and drive but you can do it while stationary in your vehicle--such at stop lights. Been behind several at stop lights that I had to encourage to put down the phone and get going after the light changes.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 03, 2018 01:30PM
Pam
Oh good grief. Do we really need to start issuing distracted driving citations when at a red light? ...

why not? Drivers need to look at the road. They need to move when light turns green, they need to be aware if there is a car out of control and be ready to avoid an accident. Say you see a car about to run into you, even if you don't have enough time to react and get out of the way, if you see the car coming, you may change your position in the car to minimize the impact. for example, if you have an iPhone in front of you and your airbag goes off, that iPhone will blow in your face.

light is red? my eyes are on the road and hands on steering wheel.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 03, 2018 01:30PM
Pam
Do we really need to start issuing distracted driving citations when at a red light?

Maybe when one is distracted enough that they don't realize that they're stopped right next to a police car.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 03, 2018 01:38PM
The officer reported that he saw the woman look up and down at the device four times in 20 seconds, and then fail to move forward when the light turned green.

Seems to me that's more than just 'checking the time.

One of my pet peeves (falling under my main pet peeve of people driving like they're the only one on the road) is that people who are texting or reading email or whatever they're doing with their phone at a red light, very often sit through the green light several seconds, oblivious to the change. I've seen a huge gap in traffic because they 'failed to obey posted sign or signal', which is a separate CVC violation from operating a handheld electronic device.

And so many people are afraid to honk at these bozos.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
PS...
Date: June 03, 2018 01:41PM
That's the second report I've seen of the Canadian constabulary citing someone for using a smartwatch while driving, and at a light. The first one was a guy, and it was over a year, maybe two, ago.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 03, 2018 02:01PM
True, working, self-driving cars cannot come too soon!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 03, 2018 02:23PM
jh
I suspect from the account given that she was doing more than checking the time. Whether the watch meets the letter of the law in Ontario may be debatable.

In my state it is illegal to text and drive but you can do it while stationary in your vehicle--such at stop lights. Been behind several at stop lights that I had to encourage to put down the phone and get going after the light changes.

In my state it is illegal to use your device while waiting at a stop light.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 03, 2018 02:41PM
space-time
Pam
Oh good grief. Do we really need to start issuing distracted driving citations when at a red light? ...

why not? Drivers need to look at the road. They need to move when light turns green, they need to be aware if there is a car out of control and be ready to avoid an accident. Say you see a car about to run into you, even if you don't have enough time to react and get out of the way, if you see the car coming, you may change your position in the car to minimize the impact. for example, if you have an iPhone in front of you and your airbag goes off, that iPhone will blow in your face.

I'm usually focused as well. But there are times when I will look at my phone, or my watch, or adjust the AC, or look in the mirror to see what's stuck in my teeth. There is a point of going too far with writing tickets at red lights.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 03, 2018 02:50PM
RAMd®d
The officer reported that he saw the woman look up and down at the device four times in 20 seconds, and then fail to move forward when the light turned green.

Seems to me that's more than just 'checking the time.

One of my pet peeves (falling under my main pet peeve of people driving like they're the only one on the road) is that people who are texting or reading email or whatever they're doing with their phone at a red light, very often sit through the green light several seconds, oblivious to the change. I've seen a huge gap in traffic because they 'failed to obey posted sign or signal', which is a separate CVC violation from operating a handheld electronic device.

Not me. Heh.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 03, 2018 02:51PM
Speedy
jh

In my state it is illegal to use your device while waiting at a stop light.

Same here in CA.

It is what it is.
Date: June 03, 2018 02:51PM
Pam
space-time
Pam

I'm usually focused as well. But there are times when I will look at my phone, or my watch, or adjust the AC, or look in the mirror to see what's stuck in my teeth. There is a point of going too far with writing tickets at red lights.

It's not too far when the person doesn't move when the light changes.

Posted by: max
Date: June 03, 2018 02:56PM
you got 3 seconds and I'm honky'....
Date: June 03, 2018 03:14PM
Speedy
Pam
space-time
Pam

How quickly? One second? Two? A driver can be staring out the windshield, not using a device, just letting the mind wander. Where's the line and what's the penalty versus the "crime"? Should a parent get a ticket for turning around to say something to their kid in the backseat while at a red light? Should cops give tickets when someone is 1mph over the speed limit? Or two? Distracted driving is a problem, when the car is moving. That deserves a ticket. At a light or stop sign, it's a possible annoyance. A toot of the horn resolves that.
Date: June 03, 2018 03:18PM
Pam
Speedy
Pam
space-time
Pam

How quickly? One second? Two? A driver can be staring out the windshield, not using a device, just letting the mind wander. Where's the line and what's the penalty versus the "crime"? Should a parent get a ticket for turning around to say something to their kid in the backseat while at a red light? Should cops give tickets when someone is 1mph over the speed limit? Or two? Distracted driving is a problem, when the car is moving. That deserves a ticket. At a light or stop sign, it's a possible annoyance. A toot of the horn resolves that.

It's still distracted driving. Yes, annoying when you are the tenth car waiting and the light turns red on you because some dolt at the light waited too long because they were texting. And it is a hazard because when they do go after you toot, they easily may not be as aware of their surroundings. Pull over on the shoulder and text away.

Edit: PSA: Don't speed over 31 MPH over the limit in Ontario or you face a $10,000 fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 03:22PM by Speedy.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 03, 2018 03:39PM
so distracted by a watch that she isn't aware of a cop right beside her watching her

would she have seen a toddler in the sidewalk ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 03, 2018 04:15PM
Speedy
Pam
Speedy
Pam
space-time
Pam

It's still distracted driving. Yes, annoying when you are the tenth car waiting and the light turns red on you because some dolt at the light waited too long because they were texting. And it is a hazard because when they do go after you toot, they easily may not be as aware of their surroundings. Pull over on the shoulder and text away.

Edit: PSA: Don't speed over 31 MPH over the limit in Ontario or you face a $10,000 fine.

But it's not a ticket offense if you hold up the line for any other reason? Only for using an electronic device? There's a lot of hypothesizing going on here. I've watched plenty of people be unaware of their surroundings without using an electronic device.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 03, 2018 07:17PM
Pam
Oh good grief. Do we really need to start issuing distracted driving citations when at a red light? Sure it can be annoying when the light changes and people don't move. That happens without electronic devices.

The Washington State law involving distracted driving isn't limited to toys or tech. It is anything. Could be eating, drinking, applying make-up, shaving, plucking brows, curling your hair, brushing your teeth, jabbering with others in your vehicle, ANYTHING. Also headphones aren't allowed. So all these morans driving around with earbuds in and using an in-line mic are breaking the law too.
Posted by: jh
Date: June 03, 2018 11:45PM
Have a friend who use to be a cop. Told me on occasions he has pulled various people over for shaving, putting on makeup, and even one guy tuning his guitar all while driving. My most interesting experience is me passing a guy on the interstate to go to grad school many years ago (before all the tech devices came into being) noticing his was not paying attention to the road--turns out he was reading a book while driving.
Date: June 04, 2018 12:05AM
you got 3 seconds and I'm honky'....

Right there with ya!

But it's not a ticket offense if you hold up the line for any other reason?

No, most states do have laws about distracted driving and failing to obey a posted sign or signal.

Men like to complain that women putting on makeup at a stop light or while driving should be cited. In some cases I agree. But in all my years, I've seen more instances in a person holding up traffic or driving erratically because of their phone in a week, than I've ever seen of a woman and her makeup.

A person Zen-ing out for a moment or reading a billboard is seldom distracted as long as someone using an electronic device, and usually gets with the program before needed prompting.

Sure, people can and do get cited for other causes of distracted driving, but electronic devices are far more likely to cause a bigger distraction.

Siri helps some, but does need more work.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: Michael
Date: June 04, 2018 07:53PM
RAMd®d

Today I was the second car behind somebody at a light looking down at her phone when it turned green. I waited a bit and then did the honking for the car behind her that didn't honk. Off she went in a blaze of speed!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018