advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Carplay capable cars.. worth it ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2018 10:03AM
I'm still thinking about getting a newer car to replace my aging Honda Civic. And.. one factor is that I use Waze. A lot. I prefer the interface, I prefer the navigation, and I like the crowdsourced alerting functionality to road conditions. It has saved my butt a couple of times by alerting me to debris in the road.. I would have crashed into an extension ladder at 70mph once. And that would have been messy and permanent !

So the fact that CarPlay is now third party capable is very attractive to me. Otherwise my iPhone has to be on a dash mount, and most cars don't really handle that well.

Is Carplay all that ? Is it worthwhile making it a decision point in my car buying journey ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Carplay capable cars.. worth it ?
Posted by: raz
Date: June 05, 2018 10:37AM
CarPlay was very high on my list last year, but the new Honda Civic lost out to the Mazda 3 on two criteria. (1) lack of physical controls for the heater, fan, etc, and (2) significantly worse handling in emergency maneuvers.

Mazda has been making noises for the past few years about adding CarPlay. Their infotainment system is just a Linux box. But, so far, it's been vaporware.

I really liked the CarPlay interface, but not enough more than Mazda's UI to make up for the other issues.

YMMV

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 05, 2018 10:39AM
YES! All of the other features are well worth it. So much easier than bluetooth methods. I use Google maps and have a place to put my phone on the console where I can still see it. It's not as convenient a location as I had in my old car (CD player insert), but it works fine. Ideally I wish Apple/Google/Waze would play nicer. But all of the other car play features are well worth it to me.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 05, 2018 10:57AM
cbelt,

Gotta say, I wouldn't consider carplay or anything similar a key factor when purchasing a car. I'd always worry that Apple will abandon the technology and/or I may no longer own carplay compatible/friendly tech. I'd focus more on the usability of the OEM system. That way, you know you'll like the system even if carplay isn't an option anymore.

Case in point... I love the OEM system built into my '09 Mazda CX-7. Well designed. Easy to use and performs like a champ. My only complaint is that its bluetooth only support voice for calls. It doesn't support music. 'course, this is not a surprise since back in '09, bluetooth for music and car/phone functionality wasn't as advanced as it is now.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 01:27PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 05, 2018 12:28PM
Robert M
I love the OEM system built into my mazda. Well designed. Easy to use and performs like a champ. My only complaint is that its bluetooth only support voice for calls. It doesn't support music.

What year is your Mazda? We have 2 2017 models and they both support music over Bluetooth for our iPhones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 12:29PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 05, 2018 12:52PM
Carplay is great because it lets you skip the car maker's navigation (often an extra cost option) and use Apple Maps instead. The recent announcement that Google Maps and Waze will soon work with iOs 12 is just icing on the cake.

Check out the VW Golf, we were Honda owners for over 30 years but switched to the Golf last year. It is a stunningly good car, and now has a 6 year/72K bumper-to-bumper warranty. VW reliability has historically been a problem, but I did a lot of research and the latest Mk7 Golfs (2015 and newer) have been a significant step forward in reliability. Probably still a step or two behind Toyota, but the driving enjoyment offered by the Golf made the calculated risk worth it.

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 05, 2018 01:22PM
I love having car play in our new VW Tiguans. I like having the phone plugged in and integrated into the car's system, after having used a bluetooth cassette adapter in my previous car. Having large buttons that are easily viewable on the "infotainment system" is so much easier than fiddling with the phone it self. As more states adopt the no hands on your phone while driving laws, CarPlay makes sense. Siri reads you texts and lets you dictate a response, or you can ignore. Reminders pop up on the display. I verbally add things to my "To do list". I wouldn't want a car without it. Adding Waze and google maps is a bonus.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 01:30PM by kurtzie.
Date: June 05, 2018 01:27PM
Article,

It's an '09. Updated my post to reflect the year and model. Though I'd included it the first time 'round.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 01:28PM by Robert M.
Date: June 05, 2018 01:31PM
Steve,

And, there is the fatal flaw in Carplay, at least in my opinion. Siri. In my experience, it's horrendously awful to the point of being absolutely worthless. It can't even call a person in my contacts correctly. If I say, "Hey Siri, call [Little M's daycare center), which is in my contacts, it'll search the surrounding area for it. Even then, Siri can't find it even if I'm two blocks away! Why heck would I want a car audio/info system and such want to integrate with carplay and Siri when Siri can't even perform that easy of a task?

Robert
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 05, 2018 01:44PM
Car Play works flawlessly in our new vehicle. One can call up any contact, any song, any text, practically anything that Car Play controls, at any time. Since it'll now control Waze, that's a good thing.
Posted by: JPK
Date: June 05, 2018 01:58PM
My dad has a new Lincoln with Car Play. It is nice. Works like it should.

JPK
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 05, 2018 02:06PM
One more thing to consider...you don't have to by a specific vehicle just because it does or does offer CarPlay.

Case in point, we made an excellent deal of a '17 Subaru Crosstrek with only a few thousand miles on it. We saved about $4K over buying new. It has AWD that performs well in the snow and consistently gets 33-34 mpg. But it wasn't until after the deal was done that we found out that Subaru added CarPlay to the Crosstrek in the '18 model year. The hunk of junk OEM system was not going to cut it.

So we instead simply spent $700 and replaced the OEM unit with the Pioneer NEX 2330.

[www.amazon.com]

In many ways, I like this better than the OEM CarPlay capable unit found in the '18's.
I probably could have done the install myself and saved some bucks. But crawling under dashboards and busted knuckles is just not my thing anymore.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: June 05, 2018 05:55PM
I would put Carplay compatibility at about number 2,000 on my list of important properties that a car needed to have. What is your problem with using a dash mount for your phone? We have them in all of our cars. The one I like is the Scosche magicmount that uses a thin magnetic plate on the back of the phone (or inside the case). We use either the glue-on (preferred) or dash vent versions, depending on the car. I do like having bluetooth in the car so that the phone pairs the instant I turn the car on.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2018 06:27PM
Markintosh

So we instead simply spent $700 and replaced the OEM unit with the Pioneer NEX 2330.

[www.amazon.com]

In many ways, I like this better than the OEM CarPlay capable unit found in the '18's.
I probably could have done the install myself and saved some bucks. But crawling under dashboards and busted knuckles is just not my thing anymore.

If you were able to replaced the OEM, great. I am afraid in many cars this is not possible. My 2016 CX-5 used the main display for audio and also for maintenance information, navigation, fuel efficiency, settings, etc. It is controlled from a knob on the center console. I would assume that replacing that OEM display is impossible, although I admit I never researched this properly.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 05, 2018 06:31PM
Is Carplay all that ? Is it worthwhile making it a decision point in my car buying journey ?

Well, that's your call, in the 'final analysis'.

But I wouldn't consider it a dealmaker or breaker. In fact, two vehicles would have to be very close in the running to have Car Play make any difference to me. But then I'm happy getting nav from Siri and my 'Phone.

I'd like to think my next car will have at least an AUX or USB input for a music source. (Do any cars have a factory USB input in their music kit?)

And then there's the driver purist card played with self-righteous indignation— the last thing we need in the car is another distraction. Ten and two, (eight and four as is appropriate) and eyes on the road! LOL!

Good luck with your choice, whatever you decide.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2018 06:49PM
Thanks for the input, all !
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 05, 2018 07:25PM
RAMd®d
Ten and two, (eight and four as is appropriate)

Your dating yourself. That hand position is no longer optimal. Due to airbags, the new standard is said to be nine and three.

of course I tend to be twelve OR six

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2018 07:44PM
(Do any cars have a factory USB input in their music kit?)

Yes, modern can can play musing from USB flash drives or iPhones connected via USB. I did not figure out how to connect an Android phone via USB, but that is another topic.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 05, 2018 08:21PM
just got a new beast that plays nice with Android Auto (or CarPlay, it doesn both as many do now).
It's very fast to see the phone for music play or as a phone, via USB.
I can run Waze or gMaps or native nav. It was one of the criteria I set for a new beast.
If I just want to BT for calls and use the radio or USB slot for a drive, that's pretty sweet as well.
Voice dial & SMS integration thus far seems better with BT than with the car via USB, but I'm still learning.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 05, 2018 08:35PM
That hand position is no longer optimal. Due to airbags, the new standard is said to be nine and three.

Hence the reference to 'as appropriate', the implication being cars without airbags not requiring eight and four or nine and three.

Talking to local firefighter paramedics, nine and three can still be problematic, especially in cars with older, higher velocity airbags.

So I prefer:

Some people call this nine and three. I call it eight and four. I understand your twelve or six. On occasion I've used 12 or four, but it's an option for me.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 05, 2018 08:40PM
I really like car play and really like my vw golf.

Posted by: raz
Date: June 06, 2018 09:21AM
space-time
(Do any cars have a factory USB input in their music kit?)

Yes, modern can can play musing from USB flash drives or iPhones connected via USB. I did not figure out how to connect an Android phone via USB, but that is another topic.

My Mazda has 2 USB ports. 1 gets a 64GB drive of music, the other gets a lightning cable.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 06, 2018 04:55PM
Now that Craigslist Personals are gone, carplay is at an all time low.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 07, 2018 01:21PM
raz
CarPlay was very high on my list last year, but the new Honda Civic lost out to the Mazda 3 on two criteria. (1) lack of physical controls for the heater, fan, etc, and (2) significantly worse handling in emergency maneuvers.

Mazda has been making noises for the past few years about adding CarPlay. Their infotainment system is just a Linux box. But, so far, it's been vaporware.

I really liked the CarPlay interface, but not enough more than Mazda's UI to make up for the other issues.

YMMV

I bought my 15 Mazda3 based on the car, but also on the promise of CarPlay. Kinda bummed I haven't gotten it, but as you said, Mazda is making more noise about it. I might have to bring it in to get the USB port updated to CarPlay Compatible. I do keep my old iPod Nano hooked to it for my 400 favorite songs.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 361
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018