advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Noise cancelling headphones
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2018 07:51PM
I have a budget of $350 to spend on noise cancelling headphones. One option would be Bose Quiet Comfort, but I could choose something else if I wanted and I get reimbursed. What do you guys recommend? these are to be used in office environment and when traveling. I heard they are really good at canceling noise on a plane.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Noise cancelling headphones
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 05, 2018 08:02PM
Do a Google search for noise cancelling headphones and you'll probably find that most rate the Bose as the best. For example:
[thewirecutter.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2018 08:27PM
Sony WH1000s are the current testers top pick, $300 on sale

[www.amazon.com]

[www.walmart.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 05, 2018 08:32PM
Wired or wireless? Want to work w/o NC when battery off/dead? Need mic to work w/ phone or other audio con stuff? Lots of options to consider, plus no substitute for trying before buying once you narrow it down to 2 or 3. Good luck.
==
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 05, 2018 08:36PM
jdc
Sony WH1000s are the current testers top pick, $300 on sale

It seems that Sonys get the nod for audio quality and Bose for the noise cancelling quality. Agree that testing for yourself is best, but unfortunately can't take them on a flight for a test. But certainly try them on for fit and use of the controls.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 05, 2018 08:51PM
I have the sony's and I'm _very_ happy with them.

I guess if you're expensing them then you're not cost conscious. I got a used pair (like new) on amazon for about $210.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 05, 2018 09:12PM
Interesting choice.

If it were necessary for me to consider noise-cancelling cans at all, the nod would go to those that do it best, over audio quality.

This assumes the QT-35s have adequate audio, and that seems to be the consensus.

I've only tried one pair of noice-cancelling cans, some Macally's at MWSF years ago. It was in interesting experience, and not one given to providing pristine aural pleasure. But compromise is to be expected.

The din of the expo floor was significantly reduces, but other, non-steady state sounds weren't noticeably affected. I felt something like a slight pressure inside my ears, an artifact of the active noise-cancellation. It's something I assume I could get used to, but seems a little off-putting.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 05, 2018 09:40PM
You didn't state if you have a preference for:
1: COVER the ears
2: ON the ears
#: IN the ears

I've used all three types over the years. I was amazed at the sound quality AND noise reduction provided by Etymotics (IN the ear). When flying commercially, Etymotics did a GREAT job of shutting out noise while delivering GREAT sound quality.

I had a pair of Sony ON the ears and they were OK. Because of their relatively low price, I thought they did an acceptable job.

I've used Bose COVER the ear also. Very good performance that you will pay dearly for.

From these three, I'd reach for the Etymotics.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 05, 2018 09:59PM
My first pair of noise canceling headphones were Sony on ear and while they did a good job for a meager budget I was never happy with them. For my second pair I went all the way and got the Bose QuietComfort 35's which are over the ear and also wireless (although there is a optional wire). I am completely happy with them and use them all the time. Not only are they great for on an airplane but I use them when running the leaf blower and other loud equipment. Battery life is so long I forget to charge them.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2018 10:02PM
The company “stocks” Bose so all I need to do is ask. For others I need to buy and file expense report. I think I will try Bose if I can get a co-worker to lend me theirs.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 05, 2018 10:12PM
We have 2 Bose, they are excellent. Just be sure they fit your head! Can always go to BB to test.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 05, 2018 10:31PM
space-time
The company “stocks” Bose so all I need to do is ask. For others I need to buy and file expense report. I think I will try Bose if I can get a co-worker to lend me theirs.

I think the difference between sony and bose is close enough that is very personal. comfort and fit will likely be the deciding factor...or even looks.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 06, 2018 12:35AM
Already can't stand your new coworkers...?
Posted by: Frank
Date: June 06, 2018 02:36AM
testcase
You didn't state if you have a preference for:
1: COVER the ears
2: ON the ears
#: IN the ears

I've used all three types over the years. I was amazed at the sound quality AND noise reduction provided by Etymotics (IN the ear). When flying commercially, Etymotics did a GREAT job of shutting out noise while delivering GREAT sound quality.

I had a pair of Sony ON the ears and they were OK. Because of their relatively low price, I thought they did an acceptable job.

I've used Bose COVER the ear also. Very good performance that you will pay dearly for.

I've had Etymotics for many years, after using over the ear Senheisers and a cheapo pair. The Etymotics sound wonderful, block external sounds, and they have two advantages for travel: they are tiny (and light) and no battery is needed. The small size can be a disadvantage too as I lost my first set between the seats and left them behind when departing the plane!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 06, 2018 09:35AM
Frank
testcase

I've had Etymotics for many years, after using over the ear Senheisers and a cheapo pair. The Etymotics sound wonderful, block external sounds, and they have two advantages for travel: they are tiny (and light) and no battery is needed. The small size can be a disadvantage too as I lost my first set between the seats and left them behind when departing the plane!

I had a pair of Ety ER-6s for a long time. But then I left them on a plane once. ugh.

Anyway, those are noise ISOLATING and not noise cancelling.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 06, 2018 10:49AM
I like the Bose ones over the Sony's because they're smaller.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 06, 2018 11:56AM
Noise isolation > Noise canceling

A passive pair of in ear monitors will give you the best sound, but only you know if having something jammed in your ears for some amount of time makes sense for you. I'd recommend the Shure SE535 which you can find for about that much on ebay.

Custom is even better in terms of convenience.

Etys are nice but know they require a deeper insert in the ear canal, which can take some getting use to.

If you don't want/can't use in-ears, then go with the Bose.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 06, 2018 02:12PM
Sonys are under $240 with a $40 GC if you act quick.

[slickdeals.net]
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 06, 2018 02:21PM
BernDog
Sonys are under $240 with a $40 GC if you act quick.

[slickdeals.net]

Black is sold out but gold is still available if you don’t mind the color:

[www.ebay.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 06, 2018 02:43PM
I'd recommend the Shure SE535

I've got the older 530s and love them! They were a closeout just before the 535s started to ship. If I'd known that, I'd have waited and paid full pop for replaceable cables.

Mine are fine, but I'm very conscious not to snag them on anything. I have to be really careful as my AirPods get a lot of use too, and I often forget about the 530s' cord.

I've never owned noise cancelling cans and not familiar with long term listen to music. I've spent several hours on a plane with the 530s (before I became paranoid of losing them) with the memory foam tips (my favorite). They to a great job of isolating and providing great musicality. I'm curious as to what that balance would be like with NC cans.

I'm good with a (very) few IEC buds and many circumaurals, but not a fan of supraaurals, like Grados. They sound good, but even the 'newer' versions hurt my ears after an hour or two.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018