advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drip Irrigation + Building a Herb Garden
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 08, 2018 09:45AM
Gonna help the daughter design a small timed irrigation system for her Condo yard.

Since there is a Lower closer to her, I thought I would do my business at my local Lower, and scout out what the options are. I have read install instructions and looked a videos.

One thing I am confused about is, if its a drip system, does it remain on all the time, or do you always use a timer.

Anyone have any experience?. I know I will buy a splitter for the water valve so she can still have access to the hose bib. Then there is a regulator, say 15 lbs, and a filter, and then it can hook up to that 1/2" feed line to get to areas of interest. With hold downs, and feeder lines that can come off of it. But what kind of ends does one recommend to spray or drip the water?

Thanks, for any experience you have....

My experience is just taking my old sprinkler system in my yard and converting it with that 1/4" tubing to feed each plant individually and not the weeds.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drip Irrigation + Building a Herb Garden
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 08, 2018 09:56AM
You set it on the timer for the amount of time each day you want to water. It does not stay on 24/7.
I would use the little drip emitters, see below, rather than the sprayers. The drip emitters slowly saturate the roots, which is what you want. You water the roots, not the leaves.

Edit: As an easier alternative, you could also just run a soaker hose around the plants, to get general watering of the soil. I would still use it on a timer.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:00AM by rgG.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 08, 2018 09:56AM
You definitely want a back flow prevention piece in there if you are hooking up to a hose bib, and yes a timer is a good way to go.

It really depends on what you want to water as to what sort of ends you use. When we first started with drip, it was a whole lot of little drip emitters on individual plants. As our system has matured, with ground cover expanding and a lot of volunteer plants, we have replaced most of the emitters with micro sprinklers. We like these:

[www.amazon.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: June 08, 2018 09:58AM
I use battery run timers because I have better things to do than haul watering cans or hoses around.

I had tomatoes, tomatillos, habs and jalapeno peppers in tubs so that system came on twice a day as they can suck the moisture out of even a 15 gallon tub pretty quick. Especially if your tubs are too small or overly densely planted.

Easy enough to just turn the water off to the timer if it rains a lot.

I've never tried nutrient injection. For that I am small enough for conventional.

Definitely use a filter because those pressure reducers gum up easy. As can emitters. There are also emitters that can work with higher PSI.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:01AM by billb.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 08, 2018 09:59AM
After years of crappy recycled weep hose, I put in drip a couple years back. In general I like it very much.
I wouldn't leave it on 24/7. Mine is a 5/8" (off the 1/2" main/feed) for a veg garden, but I should have bought and I'd think in your case, the 1/4" version. Seems a lot easier to handle and wind around plants.
Definitely get a brass splitter.
There's lots of vids on most of the on-line seller sites.
I bought from these guys after doing some on site research.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:02AM by Fritz.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 08, 2018 10:24AM
my only experience is a drip line off my main sprinklers, which are on a timer. They sell battery operated timers you can hook to a regular hose bib.

Another option could be a rain barrel. Hook a timer up to it. I have 2 rain barrels and have thought about doing it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 08, 2018 11:28AM
Consider going aquaponic.

Simple to create, pretty much self-sustaining, all organic, only ongoing cost is fish food.

[theselfsufficientliving.com]

Here is a simple one --

The fish water supplies the fertilizer, the media bed filters the fish water - it is a closed loop.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2018 12:13PM
.....remember......I never promised you a rose garden......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 08, 2018 12:15PM
This is what I have for my garden. Woks wonderfully. I have an outdoor timer on it so it goes every other day.

[www.homedepot.com]

Timer:
[www.amazon.com]

Helps to prevent pipe noise and damage as the timer slams the water on and off:
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 08, 2018 12:19PM
I like the style Markintosh linked. The small sprinklers that look like mini trumpets never spray properly without weekly cleaning.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 08, 2018 04:07PM
Check out Drip Depot for pricing and info. [www.dripdepot.com]
I have purchased from others and will add later today.
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 08, 2018 07:35PM
I think since she has a timer and a system that comes on, to water the small trees that she has, maybe I can just convert it to DRIP, with a longer timer period on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018