advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would you "take" a "free" 47" Plasma TV?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 08, 2018 09:49AM
My coworker offered me a "fairly thin" Plasma TV (720p) and I'm tempted to take it to replace the 32" Panasonic LCD in the basement... But, wondering if it's worth it. It's older but has just been sitting at his out for several years "hanging out"... Was looking at 45+ inch LED's (4K) with Roku built in for the basement... I know this is free and will not be used everyday... But, is it worth it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you "take" a "free" 47" Plasma TV?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2018 09:51AM
....sure, if it is free but take note.....

1) they are heavy (so you will need help moving it. don't do it on your own)

2) they give off a lot of heat (not good in summer) or a place that has no A/C

3) they use a lot of electricity (so they are not energy efficient. your electricity bill may go up)

......otherwise, the resolutions is good........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 09:59AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: June 08, 2018 09:54AM
Why not? What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and give it to someone else? I miss my plasma television. Looked great at any angle was just one of its positive attributes.

D & C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 10:11AM by Dazed & Confused (Mobile).
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 08, 2018 09:58AM
We have a 12yr old Pioneer plasma that still has an incredible picture. Yes, it's heavy, yes, pumps out some heat, probably uses more electric. Ours is 3 1/2" thick, don't know if that's fairly thin or not. I'd say for free, why not...I have a friend that always says "If it's free, it's for me!"
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 08, 2018 10:00AM
Sure. Free is free. At the very least, if it's not something you're in love with, it'll hold you over until Black Friday. Those big old plasma screens are built like tanks AND HEAVY. Nothing like these LCD/LED panels most people are used to.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 08, 2018 10:21AM
No.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 08, 2018 10:29AM
Sure.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 08, 2018 10:40AM
Yes

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 08, 2018 10:45AM
Yes. My current TV is a 42" Panasonic Plasma. It's over 8 years old now.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 08, 2018 10:50AM
Can you easily get rid of it if you don't like it?

Are you okay with 720p?

I still love my 1060 Panny.

I don't think it throws off too much heat, but it is probably newer than the 720p.

Steve
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 08, 2018 11:11AM
you could still hook a roku stick to it as well.

try it through Black Friday, you can always pass it along to someone else or a charity.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 08, 2018 11:16AM
kurtzie
Can you easily get rid of it if you don't like it?

Are you okay with 720p?

I still love my 1060 Panny.

I don't think it throws off too much heat, but it is probably newer than the 720p.

Steve

I got 20 more pixels than you!!!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 08, 2018 11:38AM
Absolutely! I’ve got a 50” 720p Samsung plasma in my office/movie room. I sit about 10 feet away from it. I can’t tell an ounce of difference between it and a 1080p set at that distance.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 08, 2018 12:07PM
Personally, I would not. I'd have no room for it. Office and living room have 4K TVs. Wife's office has a 1080p TV (forget which brand). Bedroom also a 1080p. Only place we care about seeing at angles is the living room. We had a 720p Sony (not plasma) in the bedroom, but we traded that out more than 5 years ago.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2018 12:11PM
....what about the bathroom.........no TV in there yet.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: June 08, 2018 12:14PM
Depends on how old it is. If it's one of the later generation plasmas then the picture quality will be much better than most LCDs. I have one of the last Panasonic plasmas (46" I think) that my neighbor gave me because she was getting a newer much bigger LCD. It is fantastic and the picture beats the pants off LCD TVs, especially when watching Blu-Rays. Also note that the later plasmas weren't such energy hogs or heat creators as the earlier ones.

Mine is a 1080p, though at that screen size, I don't think 4k vs 1080p vs 720p makes a whole lot of difference since your eye can't discern pixels that small. I have a feeling that the pixel density is largely just a misleading marketing "feature" that doesn't mean a whole lot for most people's viewing (especially given how little content actually comes in 4k or 1080p).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 12:19PM by davester.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 08, 2018 12:42PM
Carnos Jax
Absolutely! I’ve got a 50” 720p Samsung plasma in my office/movie room. I sit about 10 feet away from it. I can’t tell an ounce of difference between it and a 1080p set at that distance.

But you sure as hell can tell the difference between a plasma and an LCD at that distance.

Take the plasma.

It is what it is.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: June 08, 2018 12:59PM
Echoing the sentiments of the other plasma owners here, I would take it for picture quality and black levels alone. I don't plan on upgrading from our 50" Panasonic until the prices on 65"+ OLED sets are at least half of what they are now.
Date: June 08, 2018 01:07PM
D. Lawson
Echoing the sentiments of the other plasma owners here, I would take it for picture quality and black levels alone. I don't plan on upgrading from our 50" Panasonic until the prices on 65"+ OLED sets are at least half of what they are now.

Pro tip: LG resellers clear out their inventory of previous year's OLED TVs beginning in January or so. I picked up an LG OLED65C7P for $2100 earlier this year - if I'd been in the right place at the right time, I could have gotten it for $1400 -- from Fry's, no less! (That one still stings.)

It's probably too late to take advantage this year, but keep in mind for next year.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 01:08PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 08, 2018 01:20PM
davester
Mine is a 1080p, though at that screen size, I don't think 4k vs 1080p vs 720p makes a whole lot of difference since your eye can't discern pixels that small. I have a feeling that the pixel density is largely just a misleading marketing "feature" that doesn't mean a whole lot for most people's viewing (especially given how little content actually comes in 4k or 1080p).

Absolutely. 4K is just the latest marketing feature, along with 3D, and curved TVs, that the industry came up with to convince consumers to keep upgrading their TVs. You've got to do the math. depending on your viewing distance and screen size, you're COMPLETELY WASTING MONEY buying a higher resolution TV since your eye can't tell the difference.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: June 08, 2018 01:54PM
Yes on taking the plasma TV, more so since it's free. It's a bummer that they didn't have staying power because people would rather buy an inferior LCD for a little less money. It's like betamax vs vhs, Mac vs PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 01:55PM by polychrome.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 08, 2018 01:58PM
I'd stick with my iPad...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 08, 2018 04:25PM
I have a 49 " Sansung Plamsa and it's also 720P/ Great picture, low heat, low power consumption. Most of the drawbacks of Plasma were solved shortly before OLED came out and everyone stopped making plasma screens.
Date: June 08, 2018 08:15PM
I bought a 60" Samsung Smart TV, one of the top of the line models probably 4 years ago when Plasmas were on the way out. I had no room to put it, and I was planning to keep and sell it when prices were going to go up (and they did). But when the delivery crew brought it in, they opened the box. Morons. They said they always do that. I was debating if I should keep it or take it back, and eventually took it back to Best Buy. I didn't really have the space to keep it, and I think resale value would have been questionable with an open box. Anyway, I regret it. I could have used it now.

I love my 42" 1080p plasma from 2009. I hear Pioneers were even better.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 08, 2018 08:44PM
N-OS X-tasy!
D. Lawson

Pro tip: LG resellers clear out their inventory of previous year's OLED TVs beginning in January or so. I picked up an LG OLED65C7P for $2100 earlier this year - if I'd been in the right place at the right time, I could have gotten it for $1400 -- from Fry's, no less! (That one still stings.)

It's probably too late to take advantage this year, but keep in mind for next year.

So they clear them out to fill stores with the "newest" models for the Super Bowl sales?
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 08, 2018 09:04PM
Just make sure it has the stand or wall mount.

We still use our 1080p plasma as our main TV. It will be awhile before we can justify an OLED since the plasma is still a great screen.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 08, 2018 11:22PM
I am using a 10 year old Hitachi plasma . A 4k screen looks the same but why buy one when it is not better.
Date: June 09, 2018 03:29AM
Racer X
N-OS X-tasy!
D. Lawson

So they clear them out to fill stores with the "newest" models for the Super Bowl sales?

TV manufacturers typically release new models in April or so — resellers begin to sell off remaining stock from the previous model year a few months prior to that.

It is what it is.
Date: June 09, 2018 03:32AM
srf1957
I am using a 10 year old Hitachi plasma . A 4k screen looks the same but why buy one when it is not better.

As good as blacks are on a plasma, they are significantly better on an OLED. That, combined with HDR, is why I upgraded.

It is what it is.
Date: June 09, 2018 07:15AM
do OLED last as long as plasmas?
Date: June 09, 2018 04:17PM
Everyone is right... It's free... If I don't love it I can just "give it away"...
Posted by: August West
Date: June 09, 2018 06:29PM
spacescape
Everyone is right... It's free... If I don't love it I can just "give it away"...

Prime Directive

Beyond that, I have a panny 42 740 and 50 1080. Very pleased with them.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 09, 2018 11:47PM
Carnos Jax
davester

Absolutely. 4K is just the latest marketing feature, along with 3D, and curved TVs, that the industry came up with to convince consumers to keep upgrading their TVs. You've got to do the math. depending on your viewing distance and screen size, you're COMPLETELY WASTING MONEY buying a higher resolution TV since your eye can't tell the difference.

You can tell. From 20 feet away you can tell. You might not see the pixels or be able to point out the difference, but the 4K sets look better even from far away.

Is imidiately clear just walking in a room full of different iMacs which ones are the 5k, 4K, and the 2kish ones.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: June 10, 2018 08:59PM
Yes, as long as your eyes can tell the difference due to resolution, then you can make an argument to upgrade. But assuming ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, then depending on viewing distance and the size of the TV, at a certain point your eyes can't tell the difference.

Key here "all else being equal". There may other panel differences (such as contrast ratio, color gamut, etc., etc.) that might make the 4K, 5K & 8K panels look better. Just make sure you do your research. If two sets are the same in all parameters, and the only difference boils down to resolution, then you are wasting money on a higher resolution display if you're sitting too far away from it to notice.
Date: June 10, 2018 09:03PM
I'd rather have a LED with built in ROKU... Mainly because we've dumped cable... but, this is our basement and isn't used tons... and we currently have a LCD 32" Panasonic so this would be a nice upgrade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018