advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Summer intern doesn't know how to address an envelope
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 08, 2018 01:58PM
and was shocked by the low price of a stamp.

She had no idea where to put the return address or how to center the addressee's address. This person grew up in the US and has just completed her first year of college at a good school.

We were hand-addressing some thank you's from a fundraising event, trying to have a more personal touch.
Maybe we should just text them all a Thx for $$ smiling smiley and call it good.

Feeling old today. Old Fogette
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Summer intern doesn't know how to address an envelope
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2018 02:04PM
.....Millenial.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 08, 2018 02:04PM
My son was fascinated when I bought a briefcase sized manual typewriter at a garage sale for him. He played with that for several years. Even wrote a paper in fifth grade on it and handed it in. He said his teacher kind of teared up...
Date: June 08, 2018 02:09PM
NewtonMP2100
.....Millenial.....??

Younger than that. I think the current 18 year olds are called Generation Z, among other things.

I will be the first to admit that I can learn a lot from her, and I intend to do that.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 08, 2018 02:12PM
Hey Siri, Alexa, Googlebis all you need these days. smiley-music039

Posted by: DP
Date: June 08, 2018 02:15PM
Did you force her to handwrite or did she have to print out everything?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 08, 2018 02:22PM
Lemon Drop
NewtonMP2100
.....Millenial.....??

Younger than that. I think the current 18 year olds are called Generation Z, among other things.

I will be the first to admit that I can learn a lot from her, and I intend to do that.

Just not how to address an envelope.
Date: June 08, 2018 02:23PM
......did she say......'Hello, mr. envelope'.......is that the proper way to address an envelope or a person......???

Posted by: 3d
Date: June 08, 2018 02:24PM
Too bad most (if not all) first-class stamps are self-adhesive. Licking a stamp would've blown her mind.
Date: June 08, 2018 02:31PM
....she would have takin' a lickin' and kept on tickin'.........??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 02:34PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 08, 2018 02:33PM
3d
Licking a stamp would've blown her mind.

Especially those special stamps.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 08, 2018 02:36PM
3d
Too bad most (if not all) first-class stamps are self-adhesive. Licking a stamp would've blown her mind.

Yeah... that WOULD be fun, introducing a millenial to those, LOL.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 08, 2018 02:37PM
3d

I just buy those envelopes from the Post Office that already have stamps on them.
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: June 08, 2018 02:41PM
You really could have tortured her by asking her do the handwriting in cursive. The reaction might have been priceless...

D & C
Posted by: hal
Date: June 08, 2018 02:54PM
My friend that works at the post office made a youtube video on how to address an envelope and it has something like 1M hits. This was actually taught at school in 2nd or 3rd grade. I guess they don't do that anymore...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 08, 2018 02:55PM
hal
My friend that works at the post office made a youtube video on how to address an envelope and it has something like 1M hits. This was actually taught at school in 2nd or 3rd grade. I guess they don't do that anymore...

Nope... and don't get me started!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 08, 2018 03:02PM
DP
Did you force her to handwrite or did she have to print out everything?

She has very neat handwriting but I don't think she knows cursive. We can live with that!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 08, 2018 03:03PM
my teenage daughters seem to be generation "right now".

Has to be right now or its taking too long. internet, texts, and all the rest of tech. Heaven forbid if the power would ever go out and knock out the net. They just use the phones as wireless hotspots...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 08, 2018 03:19PM
I had to remind my daughter a couple of years ago on how to address an envelope. Not because she wasn't taught how to do so in school, but because she never used that knowledge. If you don't do something in years and years, and then only do it once a decade, of course you get a bit fuzzy. It'd be like expecting 30 year olds to know how to use a rotary phone.

We opened a joint checking account for her probably 10 years ago. She has yet to write a check. I don't expect her to immediately know the proper way to do that either. Quite frankly I hope she never has to. That's one thing I still hate doing.
Date: June 08, 2018 03:22PM
....that is actually a good idea for someone who has a teen child who likes to use the phone......install rotary and see if they can figure out how to use it......

.......some kid in my office had no idea how to fax something............

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 08, 2018 03:30PM
My 16-year-old niece can't tell time with a watch or clock with hands.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 08, 2018 03:53PM
When I was in elementary school they taught us how to write a business letter. We spent our summers at a summer home and my dad used to come up for the weekends. There was something I needed from home and my mom suggested that I write him a letter asking him to bring it.

He was very shocked and insulted by the very formal impersonal business letter that I wrote to him using what I had learned in school. My mom didn't ask to read it before I mailed it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 08, 2018 04:17PM
We have a math teacher that tried to teach a class to use a slide rule. He soon gave up out of frustration.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: June 08, 2018 04:18PM
......should have sealed it......with a kiss.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 04:26PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 08, 2018 04:24PM
See is the can write a check
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 08, 2018 04:25PM
Ombligo
We have a math teacher that tried to teach a class to use a slide rule. He soon gave up out of frustration.

OMG. I HATED a slide rule.
My husband had a math teacher that would say, “Slap it on the stick, son,” when he wanted them to use the slide rule.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 08, 2018 04:28PM
Things I don't know how to do:

Use a slide rule
Drive a horse & buggy
Send a telegraph message
Build a castle foundation
Mend a chariot wheel
Chisel a hieroglyph

Old tech. Sending SASEs are going that way, as is using a checkbook. No sense in disparaging people for not spending their time learning old techniques which they may have little or no use for. Especially when you can pick it up pretty quickly.

Not learning how to drive because you'll just take Lyft/Uber/public transportation/wait for driverless cars? That's probably taking it a bit too far just yet.
Posted by: Buck
Date: June 08, 2018 04:34PM
A fellow student had to figure out 2+2 on a slide rule and proclaimed 3.99. Can I round it up?
The whole class (minus him) burst out into laughter.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 08, 2018 04:36PM
Ombligo

I had to design and build a slide rule in my first ME lab. Times do change!

It is what it is.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 08, 2018 04:51PM
Lew Zealand

Use a slide rule
Drive a horse & buggy
Send a telegraph message
Build a castle foundation
Mend a chariot wheel
Chisel a hieroglyph

Old tech. Sending SASEs are going that way, as is using a checkbook. No sense in disparaging people for not spending their time learning old techniques which they may have little or no use for. Especially when you can pick it up pretty quickly.

Not learning how to drive because you'll just take Lyft/Uber/public transportation/wait for driverless cars? That's probably taking it a bit too far just yet.

While I understand why you say all this, I do think that learning to write / send envelopes serves a very important function that goes hand-in-hand with something else that the younger generations also apparently aren't being taught to do: write thank you notes.

I had to point this out to some young people awhile back, that writing a thank you note is NOT the same as sending an email or text message... when they tried to argue it with me, I pointed out to them that if they had a friend who was getting married, would they think it was OK that they received the invite by text?

Is it any wonder that their generation is perceived as being ungrateful, entitled, and rude? In many cases, they aren't learning basic social skills or norms. My own mother is shocked that one of her grandchildren has never said thank you for any gift that she has received. You could argue that it's just something she wasn't taught to do because times have changed and very few actually send out physical thank you notes any more, but there's also the matter of manners.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 08, 2018 05:44PM
LD - im curious to know if she knew what to do with the letter after it was stamped and addressed.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 05:45PM by Ammo.
Date: June 08, 2018 05:58PM
PeterB
While I understand why you say all this, I do think that learning to write / send envelopes serves a very important function that goes hand-in-hand with something else that the younger generations also apparently aren't being taught to do: write thank you notes.

I had to point this out to some young people awhile back, that writing a thank you note is NOT the same as sending an email or text message... when they tried to argue it with me, I pointed out to them that if they had a friend who was getting married, would they think it was OK that they received the invite by text?

Is it any wonder that their generation is perceived as being ungrateful, entitled, and rude? In many cases, they aren't learning basic social skills or norms. My own mother is shocked that one of her grandchildren has never said thank you for any gift that she has received. You could argue that it's just something she wasn't taught to do because times have changed and very few actually send out physical thank you notes any more, but there's also the matter of manners.

You have gone too far here. Expecting the next generation to adhere to the previous generations rules of manners is just not right.

It was considered rude to not send hand written dinner invites in the years following the acceptance of the telephone, but even Miss Manners had to adjust.

Just get over it... the hand-written thank you note was a lovely gesture from a generation passed.

There are plenty of people alive right now that swore they would never use email because it was not personal like a real letter. I had a big argument with my aunt about this in the early 90s. She HATED email, but now she uses it (and facebook messaging) all the time.
Posted by: max
Date: June 08, 2018 06:20PM
Lew Zealand
Send a telegraph message
I still have a teletype address on my business card and I am probably the only one in the compant that ever used that machine ....
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 08, 2018 06:29PM
hal is probably right, but I don't have to like it.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 08, 2018 06:31PM
I maintained high voltage to low voltage loop converters for teletype circuits, as well as the frequency division multiplexers that were the interface between standard 4 KHz audio circuits on standard frequency division multiplexers and time division multiplexers in telephony equipment.
Date: June 08, 2018 06:51PM
Ammo
LD - im curious to know if she knew what to do with the letter after it was stamped and addressed.

She did, put them in the "outgoing mail" basket.

Another oops, the first 20 or so envelopes were upside down, we forgot to mention the part about the flap.

Would like to add that she was very good-humored about this whole thing.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 08, 2018 07:30PM
My 10 year old can't write in cursive... they just don't teach it in school anymore. His teacher this past year said she was going to try to teach them this year, but they never did. He says he can't read cursive either. What's going to happen in 8+ years when he has to sign his name? Will he just print it? His handwriting is horrible as it is. I can only imagine if he starts writing in cursive. Nobody will be able to read it.
Date: June 08, 2018 07:48PM
rz
My 10 year old can't write in cursive... they just don't teach it in school anymore. His teacher this past year said she was going to try to teach them this year, but they never did. He says he can't read cursive either. What's going to happen in 8+ years when he has to sign his name? Will he just print it? His handwriting is horrible as it is. I can only imagine if he starts writing in cursive. Nobody will be able to read it.

I was just talking about this today with a friend who teaches 3rd grade. This has typically been the grade when cursive is taught because the kids have mastered printing and have enough fine motor skill develop to tackle cursive. She hasn't given up on it entirely, but she thinks that pretty soon the schools will. The younger teachers don't want to deal with it.

I think it's a loss because it's beautiful, and unique to each person as your writing style develops. And the act of writing by hand, as opposed to typing, makes our brains work a little more slowly and creatively. And yes, the personal signature. I think that eventually that will die out too as nearly all documents are signed electronically.
Date: June 08, 2018 08:04PM
hal
PeterB

You have gone too far here. Expecting the next generation to adhere to the previous generations rules of manners is just not right.

It was considered rude to not send hand written dinner invites in the years following the acceptance of the telephone, but even Miss Manners had to adjust.

Just get over it... the hand-written thank you note was a lovely gesture from a generation passed.

There are plenty of people alive right now that swore they would never use email because it was not personal like a real letter. I had a big argument with my aunt about this in the early 90s. She HATED email, but now she uses it (and facebook messaging) all the time.

Sorry, but just can't agree. Good manners never go out of style. It's true they don't necessarily have to write handwritten letters in cursive, but to not even say "thank you" or "you're welcome" ("no problem" is what they say instead, IF anything at all) is simply unacceptable.

And it's not just about the medium, though the medium DOES affect the message. My point was that, not learning how to address envelopes has had all kinds of unintended consequences. For example, there's a definite inability of current youngsters to write an appropriate email -- they tend to write it the same way they would a text message.

For what it's worth, many of them blame YOUR generation for having these problems -- since you all were the ones who raised them this way! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 08:12PM by PeterB.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 08, 2018 08:08PM
my winter intern doesn't know how to use the fireplace.
Date: June 08, 2018 08:19PM
PeterB
It's true they don't necessarily have to write handwritten letters in cursive, but to not even say "thank you" or "you're welcome" is simply unacceptable.

I was suggesting that an electronic 'thank you' note is fine - not that doing nothing was fine.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 08, 2018 08:30PM
Dennis S
My 16-year-old niece can't tell time with a watch or clock with hands.

Same with my 20 yo step son.

Gotta love "snowflakes"
Date: June 08, 2018 08:31PM
Lemon Drop
rz

I was just talking about this today with a friend who teaches 3rd grade. This has typically been the grade when cursive is taught because the kids have mastered printing and have enough fine motor skill develop to tackle cursive. She hasn't given up on it entirely, but she thinks that pretty soon the schools will. The younger teachers don't want to deal with it.

I think it's a loss because it's beautiful, and unique to each person as your writing style develops. And the act of writing by hand, as opposed to typing, makes our brains work a little more slowly and creatively. And yes, the personal signature. I think that eventually that will die out too as nearly all documents are signed electronically.

It's their JOB! It's what we PAY THEM FOR!
Date: June 08, 2018 09:07PM
Racer X
Lemon Drop
rz

It's their JOB! It's what we PAY THEM FOR!

I think we're going to see a shift both in terms of what kids are being taught, as well as who is doing the teaching. I can't think of a SINGLE young person I know, other than my own niece, who wants/wanted to be a teacher. And my niece was assaulted twice by her own students. Honestly, would you want to be a teacher of today's kids, getting disrespected all the time and criminally underpaid?

hal
PeterB
It's true they don't necessarily have to write handwritten letters in cursive, but to not even say "thank you" or "you're welcome" is simply unacceptable.

I was suggesting that an electronic 'thank you' note is fine - not that doing nothing was fine.

Therein lies the problem. Many can't be bothered to make the effort, not just a paper note, but even electronic. It's like the not having to learn to write a paper letter has trickled down to not even having to learn how to write electronically, or even having the manners in the first place.

A good read on this entire subject: [observer.com]

Date: June 08, 2018 09:24PM
"I think we're going to see a shift both in terms of what kids are being taught, as well as who is doing the teaching. I can't think of a SINGLE young person I know, other than my own niece, who wants/wanted to be a teacher. And my niece was assaulted twice by her own students. Honestly, would you want to be a teacher of today's kids, getting disrespected all the time and criminally underpaid?"

Because the students are allowed to for one. Zero tolerance, and no second chances. Unless WE respect the teachers/educators, the students won't.

And who is doing what to their children so that these kids think that will accomplish anything?
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 08, 2018 11:49PM
I have a shadow box into which I have hung seven slide rules. Two of them are from my dad and my wife's dad who were both engineers. They are one model different and both have their names scribed onto them (in very neat script, of course). All seven are set to the same calculation, but I would have to look carefully at them to see what that calculation is. One of them I used in college. I never got beyond about two scales. The other scales were way beyond me.

I remember when ZIP codes were introduced while I was in grade school. We completed an exercise in addressing an envelope and the substitute teacher counted wrong the way we placed the code. One teacher insisted that we put the ZIP code on a separate line, the other teacher insisted that it go on the same line as the city and state.

Three of our grandchildren, all ages 13 and younger cannot read script; I don't know about the 18 year old.
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 09, 2018 12:01AM
Complaining the kids cannot do the things we were taught to do has a long history. At a technology conference for educators back in the 80's a speaker went through some of the complaints written throughout history. I wish I could remember the list but it included complaining that kids nowadays cannot trim a feature pen tip to save their souls. Another complained that kids just did not know how to mix up a good black ink. How would society survive?

When we were putting computers in schools back in the 80's the computer education department had a "vigorous" debate about just how important it was that kids put only one space after a period. I have to confess, having grown up on typewriters, I sometimes still put two spaces after a period. My fingers just do it whether I want to or not.

We developed a test of computer skills and very early in its use, the questions were on paper; the kids used the computer to answer questions, and then wrote the answer on the paper. On the spreadsheet test, many kids would to the math required in the margins of the paper. It wasn't long, of course, before we scored the files directly, but that meant opening a file for every kid (actually several files for every kid) on 3.5" floppies. Pretty well took up my summer opening and scoring all those files.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 09, 2018 01:08AM
PeterB
Honestly, would you want to be a teacher of today's kids, getting disrespected all the time and criminally underpaid?

Wow…

Up here, teachers are criminally overpaid.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 09, 2018 05:14AM
We just finished hiring for a faculty position and I asked my AA to prepare the "thanks for applying but we've filled the position" letters. When she handed me the stack of 40 letters to sign, the inside address was our college address rather than the candidate's address and then the salutation was the candidate's name. I asked her if that was correct and she said it was. I didn't object but went to class and when I came back she had redone them with the candidates address appropriately positioned. She's been doing this work for 30 years. Not the most competent person around but she's pleasant!
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 09, 2018 06:49AM
Article Accelerator
PeterB
Honestly, would you want to be a teacher of today's kids, getting disrespected all the time and criminally underpaid?

Wow…

Up here, teachers are criminally overpaid.

really? can you give an example (no name, just location, type of job and rough salary range).

Here in NJ, 1st grade teacher makes $60,000. that is not a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015