Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Babylon 5 now on Prime
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 09, 2018 10:06AM
About time

I just noticed it today. As timely a sci-fi series as you could hope for.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Babylon 5 now on Prime
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 09, 2018 10:24AM
That's a real shame since it means that it's now no longer available for streaming on Netflix. Netflix is now only offering 4 seasons of this show on DVD as well. Season 3 is no longer available. Boo Hiss.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 09, 2018 10:56AM
A couple of rough spots, but mostly an outstanding series.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 09, 2018 11:43AM
freeradical
That's a real shame since it means that it's now no longer available for streaming on Netflix. Netflix is now only offering 4 seasons of this show on DVD as well. Season 3 is no longer available. Boo Hiss.

It wasn't available on Netflix before this, but from go90.com.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 09, 2018 12:02PM
It hasn't been on Netflix (streaming) for a decade, if ever.
I'm glad there is now ONE legit streaming service that has it.

JoeH
freeradical

It wasn't available on Netflix before this, but from go90.com.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 09, 2018 12:07PM
Never saw one episode.

Then again, there are lots of shows that were popular that many of us never watched.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 09, 2018 12:44PM
I like to compare this show to the Reboot of Battlestar Galactica. Even though B5 could cross into hokeyness, it was more cohesive story. BSG was good gritty storytelling, but the story was all over the place!

I read a crossover story somewhere where the BSG fleet comes across Valen and Babylon4. Interesting thoughts.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: billb
Date: June 09, 2018 12:55PM
I watched one or two shows at the beginning and thought low budget and didn't watch any more.
Course, TV watching trickled down to pretty much nothing anyway.

Which reminds me I really should go point the antenna back towards the TV station transmitters . Those northeatsers in Late Winter got it all twisted around the wrong way.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 09, 2018 01:01PM
Great show, and I am thinking its political message was why Bezos has it on Amazon Prime.

The first season is a little rough, but some of the odd parts are key in future episodes.
Posted by: dk62
Date: June 09, 2018 01:15PM
It is a great series overall, but the first season is not that good.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 09, 2018 01:18PM
First season is a LOT rough, IMHO... but the long continuous story arcs, particularly of Londo and G'Kar and their relationship is WELL worth following the whole run for.

That show could be re-edited down to Peter Jurasic and Andreas Katsulas in about four hours, and been eminently watchable.

Even somewhat wooden Claudia Christian was good, once she dropped the awful, fake, russian accent. Sad to say, she is today a plastic surgery horror show...

Ignore the primitive effects - focus on the STORY.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 09, 2018 04:34PM
Plenty of strange karma for the actors. Many have been taken from us now and far too early.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 09, 2018 07:26PM
Does anybody know how to disable Amazon's "Next Up" feature so that it doesn't pop up and interfere with the end credits (and often starting early and interrupting the final scene of a show)?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 09, 2018 07:29PM
Never watched the series, but was a DS9 & TNG fan, and so now many years later, after hearing (over the years) all the respect for it, got around to looking it up on Netflix and Prime a few weeks ago, only to find nothing for free. So when I saw this thread today, I was thankful.

Just finished episode 0.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 09, 2018 07:44PM
Rolando
I like to compare this show to the Reboot of Battlestar Galactica. Even though B5 could cross into hokeyness, it was more cohesive story. BSG was good gritty storytelling, but the story was all over the place!

I disagree.

Just finished the whole run + movies.

B5 is both hokey all the time and the story is all over the place.

When they brought time travel into it, the whole thing derailed.

Best episodes IMHO were the episodes where they treated it like a simple procedural crime drama... Which is also where the similarities to second-season-DS9 get very strong.

Paul F.
First season is a LOT rough, IMHO... but the long continuous story arcs, particularly of Londo and G'Kar and their relationship is WELL worth following the whole run for.

That show could be re-edited down to Peter Jurasic and Andreas Katsulas in about four hours, and been eminently watchable.

No argument.

Paul F.
Even somewhat wooden Claudia Christian was good

Meh.

Definitely better in season two, but they never seemed to have a grasp of how to write for any of the female characters.

Posted by: p8712
Date: June 09, 2018 08:05PM
Carnos Jax
Never watched the series, but was a DS9 & TNG fan, and so now many years later, after hearing (over the years) all the respect for it, got around to looking it up on Netflix and Prime a few weeks ago, only to find nothing for free. So when I saw this thread today, I was thankful.

Just finished episode 0.

All the B5 movies are are on Prime, too. 'In the Beginning' is a good prequel and real should be watched first - will spoil some uninteresting parts of season 1, and hopefully wet the appetite enough for what is coming.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 09, 2018 08:08PM
.....waiting for Babylon 7.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 09, 2018 09:57PM
To each his own, but I could never make it through the first 2 seasons of the new BSG.

Bab5 has a rich storyline, where even the littlest pieces like a 5 second news snippet in the background can be essential to understand the plot.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 10, 2018 08:09AM
Seasons 2 and onward ROCK.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 10, 2018 01:36PM
TheTominator
Does anybody know how to disable Amazon's "Next Up" feature so that it doesn't pop up and interfere with the end credits (and often starting early and interrupting the final scene of a show)?

I discovered that there is no way to turn off the interrupting "Next Up" feature on any device that supports it. I did discover that there are some devices that do not have this feature.

I happen to have a ROKU 2 XS 3100X-B that I bought in 2013 which doesn't support "Next Up" on its app so I can watch Amazon streaming videos and see the end of the video properly. I haven't tested it, but I think the streaming via the Wii U may also have worked.
Posted by: dk62
Date: June 11, 2018 06:19AM
While I don't know how to disable it, I usually select the frame with the credits and click "OK" on Roku, that takes you back to the program.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 11, 2018 06:41AM
.....could never get into this series.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018