advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best way to nail this knot in subfloor before covering
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 11, 2018 11:45PM
I am going to install a laminate floor on top of this sub floor, prior to that I am going to install a 1/4 plywood to match the height of another area. How should I treat this weak spot, where the knot in the wood creaks, and cracks. Nail and or glue?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best way to nail this knot in subfloor before covering
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 11, 2018 11:53PM
I am no expert, but drill and countersink a screw with glue?
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 12, 2018 12:01AM
Drill some holes along the crack, glue some dowels into the holes and sand them down. That should help glue the broken pieces together and fix noise caused by the crack.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 12, 2018 01:48AM
If replacing the cracked board is out of the question, I'd try an extra dollop of construction adhesive on the spot just prior to laying the sheet of plywood.
If it was a crack in a piece of furniture you might try bowties and clamping to close up the crack but this is a floor board with 200 pound people staNDING ON IT, flexing it. It's probably in the middle of the span between the joists, too, right ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2018 09:00AM
Nails in the vertical direction will be of little help if the board is flexing at all, as they will probably just work loose over time. A screw would be better if there is something underneath for it to hold the top board down to. I like the dowel idea, but again if the board can flex that will probably break down over time.

I would probably chisel away some of the knot to create a gap where the pieces can't rub against each other, then add some construction adhesive, and then try screwing it together from an angle, starting from the gap between the boards, and going into the good part of the board almost sideways. Then it won't come apart from vertical loads flexing the board, and should hold the cracked part tight against the main part enough to avoid squeaking.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 12, 2018 03:02PM
I like Carms solution. You'll need a small bag of dowel pins to match whatever drill bits you have. 1/4 or 3/8 inches would be fine. Drill one hole at the beginning of the crack (cul-du-sac style). Add 2 or 3 more depending on the length of the split.
Glue with carpenters glue (not white type) using a Q-Tip or toothpick in the hole and dowel. I would install the one closest to the knot first and let it dry for 30 minutes. Now, add the remainder dowels. Excess glue can be tamed with a damp paper towel. Hammer flush as you install.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 12, 2018 08:48PM
Ken Sp.
I am no expert, but drill and countersink a screw with glue?

This.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018