advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
adapt or die?!.....iPhones connector changing.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2018 08:27AM
.....rumor........USB-C support via adapter for current models and may change the next iPhone to USB-C and abandon lightning proprietary connector.....

DigiTimes Vaguely Says 2019 iPhones Are 'Likely to Support USB-C'

.....Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes has published a report today claiming that 2019 iPhones will come with USB-C support, but the vague wording makes it hard to decipher what they are referring to exactly.

Cage Chao and Jessie Shen, citing sources within Apple's supply chain:

Apple is redesigning chargers and related interface for its next-generation iPhone and iPad devices, and will likely have its 2019 series of iPhones come with USB Type-C support, according to sources at analog IC vendors.

The flashiest take would be that Apple is planning to remove its Lightning connector from iPhones, in favor of a more universally adopted USB-C port, but that perennial rumor has been proven incorrect time and time again.

A similarly vague report from The Wall Street Journal last year ignited speculation that the iPhone X would have a USB-C port, for example, but oft-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo accurately said 2017 iPhones would retain Lightning connectors, with added support for fast charging via USB-C Power Delivery.

Given the unlikely possibility of a wholesale switch from Lightning to USB-C, and that the latest iPhones already support USB-C fast charging, the report could be referring to the type of power adapter included in the box.

The report adds:

Speculation circulated previously in the smartphone market that Apple would adopt Type-C interface in its next-generation iPhone series slated for launch later in 2018. Apple is still in its redesign phase and will not be able to equip the technology in its upcoming iPhones, the sources claimed.

The speculation mentioned in the report likely refers to a pair of rumors that have suggested 2018 iPhones will include an 18W USB-C charger and a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box, enabling much faster charging speeds than the tiny square-shaped 5W power adapter included with current iPhones.

In the end, this report could merely be suggesting that Apple will not bundle an 18W power adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable with iPhones until 2019, rather than this year. But, without further details, it is open to interpretation.

A transition to USB-C could make sense if Apple wants to use one standard across its MacBooks, iPhones, and iPads, but with Apple pushing towards a wireless future, it's unclear if the controversy of switching to USB-C would be worthwhile considering the Lightning connector might be removed entirely down the road.

It's worth noting that DigiTimes has a rather mixed track record at reporting on Apple's roadmap. The website claimed that Apple's AirPower charging mat would be available in March, and said a second-generation iPhone SE would launch in May or June, but neither release date proved to be accurate.

At this point, this report should be treated with some skepticism until DigiTimes provides more specific details, or the information is backed up by a more reliable source such as Kuo, who recently returned to the scene.

no more.......lightning......in a bottle.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 08:57AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: adapt or die?!.....iPhones connector change.....
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 12, 2018 08:46AM
That'd be fine with me. I'm sick and tired of having Lightning connectors wear out after a few months.
Re: adapt or die?!.....iPhones connector change.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2018 08:54AM
We will burn that bridge when we come to it. Wireless charging is very useful.
Re: adapt or die?!.....iPhones connector changing.....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 12, 2018 09:36AM
That change makes sense, but has any company changed charging connectors more than Apple?

Powerbook

ibook/Macbook Pro

Macbook & Macbook Pro Magsafe A

Macbook & Macbook Pro Magsafe 2

Macbook and Macbook Pro Magsafe L

Macbook/Macbook Pro/Macbook Air USB-C

iPhone/iPad 30-pin

iPhone/iPad Lightning

and none of the cables since the early Powerbooks last for long. Compared to the dull Dell cables that hold up for years and years

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2018 09:52AM
Aside from lint filled ports, I've never had a problem with a lightning cable, or the MagSafe 2 power adapter for my MBP. Maybe I am just not hard on them.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 12, 2018 09:52AM
Yeah, but then you have to use a Dell computer.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2018 10:18AM
rjmacs
Yeah, but then you have to use a Dell computer.

emoticon-tv-015
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 12, 2018 10:23AM
DigiTimes Vaguely Says

I'm out.

I stopped reading as soon as I saw that.

That'd be fine with me. I'm sick and tired of having Lightning connectors wear out after a few months.

Huh. In all the time I've had my 5s, ~5 years, I've never worn out a Lightning connector. They all still work as well as they did on Day One.

USB-C is fine with me, but so it Lightning. In fact, I find it easier to connect a Lighting cable in low light or while not looking, than with USB-C, but it's not a deal maker/breaker.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 12, 2018 10:25AM
Apple may change ports or eliminate them, but the PC industry seems to hold on to legacy ports for ever. Can't believe that they still put VGA and PS2 ports on computers.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 12, 2018 10:40AM
It makes more sense to transition from lightning<--->USB-2 to lightning<--->USB-C
so that anyone with a current iphone can connect to a current macbook that has a USB-C connector. Without an additional dongle.

Course, I would prefer magsafe for power in and USB-2 or USB-C for power out and data transfer. But that's only because I used to repair an awful lot of broken power connectors on laptops (Mac and PC ), and like the magnetic connectors for just that reason.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 12, 2018 12:21PM
I don’t recall ever wearing out a lightning connector. Have about five in regular use.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2018 12:42PM
Its all going wireless anyway.

If apple could get their earpods down to $79, think they would have a lot more takers... everyone in my house wants a pair.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 12, 2018 03:07PM
ka jowct
I don’t recall ever wearing out a lightning connector. Have about five in regular use.

me too - the two that I have (1 came with iP6 and one came with the 2015 imac) are just fine.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 12, 2018 04:44PM
NewtonMP2100
.....rumor........USB-C support via adapter for current models and may change the next iPhone to USB-C and abandon lightning proprietary connector.....

I hope not:

[www.androidauthority.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 12, 2018 04:46PM
RAMd®d
DigiTimes Vaguely Says

I'm out.

I stopped reading as soon as I saw that.

Huh. In all the time I've had my 5s, ~5 years, I've never worn out a Lightning connector. They all still work as well as they did on Day One.

USB-C is fine with me, but so it Lightning. In fact, I find it easier to connect a Lighting cable in low light or while not looking, than with USB-C, but it's not a deal maker/breaker.

agree smiley …except the latter is a dealbreaker for me.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 12, 2018 04:57PM
The fact that my Mom can charge her iPhone, iPad and MacBook with a single Anker USB charger when traveling makes me think that consolidating to USB-C would make that even easier for her. Now instead of taking 3 different cables, with a new iPhone and iPad she would need only one kind.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 12, 2018 10:44PM
Breath, not holding. Apple makes a TON of $$ off lightning peripherals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015