advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cancer hospice for my friend. Where is he at?
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 12, 2018 11:34AM
My buddy is dying from colon and bowel cancer. It's end stage.

He's been in a great deal of pain for the last week. ER like 4-5 times and now they have admitted him to the hospital. He is doing a big shot of morphine twice a day and then has a patch that is supposed to handle the breakthrough pain. It's not really working very well.

They just put a tube in to drain the bile from his stomach. Hoping that this alleviates some of the pain?

Does anyone know if there is another drug they give in situations like this? Hes in huge pain.

He was hoping to get one last summer before final curtain call. This seems less likely as the days pass.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cancer hospice for my friend. Where is he at?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 12, 2018 12:09PM
That is a difficult situation and I am sorry for you and your friend. If it is truly end stage and nothing else to do, usually patients go on morphine drips to help with the pain. But that is truly end of the line therapy. If your friend hopes to "keep it going" a little while longer, there is not much more to do that has not already been done...

Sympathy_emoticon_by_ChaosAngel5
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2018 12:11PM
Sorry to hear about that... Palliative care usually involves increasing dosages of heavy duty pain medication. Since they are already using morphine, that's the biggie. And it's ... well... too much will cause him to stop breathing..
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 12, 2018 12:33PM
I think Fentanyl is one of the drugs that can be used in hospic along with morphine, at the very end. I believe my MIL was taking both just before she died.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 12, 2018 01:08PM
So sorry your friend is in pain. And not finding relief.
Date: June 12, 2018 01:15PM
Ok, thanks.

Yeah the Fenanyl is what he has as a patch to use between the morphine. Sounds like what the Dr is telling him is factual then, that he is at the top of the pain med chain and they can only go so far.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 12, 2018 02:09PM
rgG
I think Fentanyl is one of the drugs that can be used in hospic along with morphine, at the very end. I believe my MIL was taking both just before she died.

This. And I'm sorry to hear about your friend...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 12, 2018 02:22PM
I can only echo the sorry. I wish I could do more, but none of us can. Be there for your friend, wish him well in his journey. Be strong in front of him, share your pain here or with loved ones.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2018 03:07PM
Man, so sorry to hear this. While I was recovering from brain surgery the pain from swelling got to be too much and I asked for something stronger. They administered morphine, but I really didn't like the way it made me feel, and it turned out repositioning my head was a better solution to alleviate the source of the pain. Hopefully the drain helps your friend.
Posted by: pipiens
Date: June 12, 2018 03:17PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I had three close friends in a similar situation. One of them elected an early exit. This sort of thing can be difficult but he had planned well in advance of need. It led me to plan my options should I ever choose to.
Date: June 12, 2018 03:40PM
Yeah he is unsure at this point as to what is making him sicker--the cancer or the morphine. The pain is bad then they shoot him up and he gets massively nauseated. Cue puking and racked with chills etc.

I think he may have done an early check out but the Mayo Dr pretty much assured him he'd have one last summer. Who can know?
Posted by: pipiens
Date: June 12, 2018 04:00PM
chopper
Yeah he is unsure at this point as to what is making him sicker--the cancer or the morphine. The pain is bad then they shoot him up and he gets massively nauseated. Cue puking and racked with chills etc.

I think he may have done an early check out but the Mayo Dr pretty much assured him he'd have one last summer. Who can know?

Pain meds can be a pain. I have had two knees replaced. The meds they gave for the first were worse than the the pain from the surgery. I did a test survey before the second surgery to find a pain killer I could tolerate
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 12, 2018 04:39PM
I will say that I've heard about some crazy reprieves of late, so it is possible. The hospital stay will only hasten his demise, so hopefully he can feel wwll enough to get out of there and have a few more months
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: June 12, 2018 06:11PM
As Spiff said, the morphine drips are truly the last stage.
I have had several friends go through this recently, not a pleasant place to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015