Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 12, 2018 04:52PM
Crazy:

[strib.mn]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Urban wildlife: raccoon daredevil scales skyscraper
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 12, 2018 07:26PM
Is it still up there? Or did they get it down (hopefully it didn't fall)?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 12, 2018 07:35PM
As 7 p.m., the raccoon was still high above the city, with thousands of people still following developments after Minnesota Public Radio first tweeted on it. Said one person in a tweet: “Oh my gosh this is so stressful. Come on, little buddy!”
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 12, 2018 07:56PM
Does it have rabies?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 12, 2018 08:45PM
Did he have a large blaster?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2018 09:07PM
My company installed a huge wind turbine. 2.5 MW. 490 ft from ground to tip of the top blade. As they were lifting the turbine generator housing up to the top of its 300 ft high tower, they got about half way and suddenly brought it back down.

A video camera inside the housing had noticed a terrified raccoon pacing around trying to find his way down. The housing landed, and the raccoon was encouraged to leave. He ran off, probably with a heck of a story to tell his family.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: June 12, 2018 09:08PM
While cute, they are pest and nuisances. We've had two raccoons here that were walking in circles for hours. Definite sign of rabies.

Anyway....

Raccoons are susceptible to a number of diseases, and can carry several others without expressing symptoms. Common sense and standard preventive measures should be practiced whenever dealing with raccoons, their habitats, and especially their wastes. Rabies is the most well-known disease carried by raccoons. Raccoons infected with rabies will exhibit the following symptoms:
disorientation
walking in circles
staggering or stumbling
lethargy
overly aggressive, or overly friendly behavior
foaming at the mouth
sensitivity to light and sound
dragging/paralyzed hind legs

Rabies is a disease which affects animals and pets more often than humans. Even if a raccoon does not show symptoms, they can still carry the virus and transmit it, so please exercise caution around raccoons, and take care not to be bitten. Keep pets and small children away from raccoons.

Another disease whose symptoms are not unlike rabies is Canine Distemper (or CDV). This disease, caused by an RNA virus, manifests itself similarly to rabies, which often leads to the two being confused. However, CDV differs in that it can express nasal symptoms; nasal discharge and overgrowth/hardness of skin on the nose are big indicators of the virus. Other symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or labored breathing, high fever, etc.

Domestic dogs are at the biggest risk for CDV. The virus is highly contagious and can be contracted in a number of ways, from inhalation to contact with contaminated food or infected bodily fluids. The fatality rate for dogs infected with CDV is about 50%, and even higher in puppies, elders, and dogs with weakened immune systems.

The second most-common syndrome transmitted by raccoons, after rabies, is raccoon roundworm, which is an infectious parasite that poses a much larger threat to humans. Raccoon roundworm eggs are present in raccoon fecal matter and can become airborne, which humans can inhale if not wearing protective breathing gear. Raccoon roundworm can cause permanent brain damage and death in humans. If you have raccoons nesting in your attic or other parts of your home, contact a raccoon removal expert. Never handle raccoon waste yourself!

Bryan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2018 06:48AM
Ooops.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 06:49AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2018 06:49AM
Does it have rabies?

Yes, that's obvious from the glint in its left eye, a conclusive telltale symptom.

It's still amazing to me that it could scale 20 stories straight up, on just that mildly textured surface.

I hope Rocky/Raccy/Ricky/Tikki/Tavi makes it down ok.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015