advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Threw $850 into the river today
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 12, 2018 09:34PM
It looked amazingly like an iphone8 in a waterproof case. The lanyard was nicely attached to my neck but had snapped. No insurance. I don’t feel like spending another $850. I do have an iphone6 at home doing nothing so maybe I’ll regress. When I return from vacation can I take the iphone6 to the Verizon store and have my phone numbers sent to it?

I’ll be gone for a few weeks. Anyway to get my cell calls on iPad? Maybe just dial into voicemail once in awhile?

Any other suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Threw $850 into the river today
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 12, 2018 09:40PM
Oh the humanity!cry smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 12, 2018 09:40PM
Didn't go in after it ? devil smiley
yes, you can migrate your verizon back to your iphone 6.
You can also call Verizon and maybe put insurance on the phone ? Not sure if that will work, maybe it has signal down with the fishes....

You can't get cell calls on your iPad.. it links with your phone. You can get facetime calls tho. if you can dial into your voicemail, change outgoing message to 'dude leave me an email'.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 12, 2018 09:42PM
can you forward calls to another number until you sort this out? can you do this online?
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 12, 2018 10:24PM
Your homeowner's insurance might cover the loss.
Sorry to hear about this though. It really blows.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 12, 2018 10:32PM
Does your credit card offer a warranty? ( In addition to the homeowners insurance idea).

What a lousy thing to have happen on vacation! sad smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 12, 2018 10:41PM
bummer...

The only good news is iOS12 is supposed to be quite a bit faster on older iPhones...
Posted by: max
Date: June 13, 2018 12:07AM
Damn, trip losses....
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 13, 2018 12:58AM
Which river?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 13, 2018 02:18AM
Looks like you’ve got about 2 weeks to get a diver in there to fetch it. Here’s an incident similar to yours in which a diver found a lost iPhone X in an Arizona river and was able to dry it out, turn it on and get it back to its owner [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Date: June 13, 2018 02:26AM
I know roughly where it is but it’s the Hanalei and it’s murky. I could go back at low tide when the water would be way lower but I don’t know if it got covered in mud or moved downstream. Find my phone doesn’t see it of course. I’ll probably try the credit card company tomorrow. It’s been that kind of vacation so far.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 13, 2018 05:42AM
maybe this is one way to enjoy the vacation... no annoying phone calls.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2018 06:16AM
It’s been that kind of vacation so far.

Geeze, sorry to hear that.

The loss of an expensive piece of gear is bad enough. But being 'that kind' of vacation doesn't help. Hope the rest of it is much better.

Leo LaPorte lost a DJY drone somewhere in the Caribbean, but my only sympathy there is for the drone, and its desire to take the plunge rather than be controlled by Leo.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 13, 2018 06:26AM
How did that happen? Don't mean to rub it in but I'm curious as to how the lanyard snapped...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 13, 2018 06:50AM
DP
How did that happen? Don't mean to rub it in but I'm curious as to how the lanyard snapped...

raslin' a bahr????? smiley-shocked003
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2018 07:08AM
.....at least it wasn't the spouse that......'snapped'........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 13, 2018 07:17AM
As others have mentioned, check your renter's or homeowner's policy, if you have one. You're probably out the deductible, which might negate the benefit if it's $500+. Good luck!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 13, 2018 08:35AM
I was on a paddle board, took a pic of my wife, when I tried to check the pic I lost my balance and fell in. The lanyard snapped and by the time I got back on the board I realized the phone was gone. Looked around a bit but at that point I couldn’t touch bottom of river and it was very murky. My fault for falling in but the lanyard should have held. This is the company that made the bag and lanyard [www.h2odyssey.com]
Date: June 13, 2018 08:40AM
I think it was the DB14 model [www.h2odyssey.com] which cost me $37 locally. Last year I used Joto which was $7 and worked much better [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 08:46AM by davemchine.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 13, 2018 09:12AM
It's in a bag ?
I'd be back with snorkel gear or hire a diver.

A past employee of mine dropped his car keys off a dock and it only cost him 50 bucks to get them back by a diver.
Course, off a dock probably limited the scope search area, but still ...

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 13, 2018 12:28PM
Ouch! Thats got to hurt!

I hope your vacation gets better. Maybe you'll find a sack of gold coins or something before heading home. smiley-shocked003

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 13, 2018 12:55PM
Bummer, I have a dropped a lot of things in the lake and dove down and picked them back up again (I found my sunglasses once after a year on the bottom). Anyway, did you test whether your case floated, or floated at all? If there was any air inside that would provide floatation, and it is somewhat surprising how much lift you can get from a small piece of foam or a little air. that may be a reason it was not directly below you, particularly if the water was moving at all in a river.

What happens if you look it up on find my phone? I would be curious about the resolution of the location on the GPS/cell tower (sometimes this seems very accurate and other times not so much).
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 13, 2018 01:34PM
Call h2odyssey and tell them your sad tale. Who knows?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 13, 2018 01:39PM
Sorry to hear that. For next time, consider using one of the floating lanyards, handles and/or phone lifejackets that are available. There are many different types available. I use one of these on my GoPro when I'm anywhere near water:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 13, 2018 04:59PM
davemchine
It looked amazingly like an iphone8 in a waterproof case.

You're in luck, Dave—your phone has been found, alive and well:

[www.techjuice.pk]
Date: June 13, 2018 07:12PM
The lanyard and bag company is offering me $200. That takes away some of the sting. I ordered a new phone and will pick it up in Lihue tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015