advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Radical plan to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot
Posted by: DP
Date: June 13, 2018 09:54AM
California’s 168-year run as a single entity, hugging the continent’s edge for hundreds of miles and sprawling east across mountains and desert, could come to an end next year — as a controversial plan to split the Golden State into three new jurisdictions qualified Tuesday for the Nov. 6 ballot.

If a majority of voters who cast ballots agree, a long and contentious process would begin for three separate states to take the place of California, with one primarily centered around Los Angeles and the other two divvying up the counties to the north and south. Completion of the radical plan — far from certain, given its many hurdles at judicial, state and federal levels — would make history.

Enough citizens wanted it to get it on the ballot. What do our Left Coaster's think? Anyone sign the petition?

[www.latimes.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Radical plan to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 13, 2018 10:01AM
Re: Radical plan to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2018 10:01AM
....heard about this on morning show.....interesting......wonder if it will go through.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 13, 2018 10:14AM
It's a stupid plan. If you want to split California, there need to be two areas. Rural and urban coastal. The yellow area needs to include San Diego, the Bay Area, Sacramento, and the I-80 corridor up through Sacramento. Everything else is the rural areas of California.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2018 10:34AM
Qui bono ?
What does Tim Draper stand to earn for this ? Or is he just planning on dropping the yellow bits into the sea with a stolen nuclear missile ?

Posted by: jonny
Date: June 13, 2018 10:36AM
freeradical
It's a stupid plan. If you want to split California, there need to be two areas. Rural and urban coastal. The yellow area needs to include San Diego, the Bay Area, Sacramento, and the I-80 corridor up through Sacramento. Everything else is the rural areas of California.

Agreed. I would totally vote for that!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 13, 2018 10:44AM
I'll only vote for it if some other part keeps San Francisco.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 13, 2018 11:04AM
If it gets approved, Texas will split into five states.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 13, 2018 11:18AM
As an Angeleno, I'd like to add San Diego to Coastal CA but the north can take or leave the Bay area, whichever.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 13, 2018 11:24AM
jonny
freeradical

I also agree (not that I would vote for any plan to split CA), but the reason why that and previous plans failed is probably because:

latimes.com
Draper’s campaign website argues the three states would have reasonably similar household incomes and enough industries to produce their own viable economies. It was that issue — economic sustainability — that helped fell two of Draper’s previous efforts in 2012 and 2014 to create six California states. Critics said some of the more rural regions would suffer from extraordinary rates of poverty as individual states, while coastal communities would flourish in new, smaller states where the lion’s share of California tax revenue is generated.
Posted by: Buck
Date: June 13, 2018 11:31AM
If you split Alaska in half, Texas will be the 3rd largest state.
(or so I heard from Alaskan friend)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2018 11:46AM
Didn't sign the petition (unless the canvassers for some other petitions that I did sign lied about what they were really for...) and won't vote for it. Incredibly poor idea.
==
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 13, 2018 11:51AM
jonny
freeradical

I don't think think that would fit with the goal of trying to equalize the population of the separate states. Rural vs Urban would be very lopsided.

Would be interesting when parents in LA need to pay out of state tuition to send their kids to UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and UC Riverside in Southern California, or UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Cruz, UC Davis, and UC Merced in Northern California.

But they have UCLA and UC Santa Barbara to choose from.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 13, 2018 12:05PM
cbelt3
Qui bono ?
What does Tim Draper stand to earn for this ? Or is he just planning on dropping the yellow bits into the sea with a stolen nuclear missile ?

Another example of the hubris of the wealthy white man to waste everyone's time with the impossible and take center stage.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 13, 2018 12:46PM
cbelt3
Qui bono ?

Well, I go there with some trepidation, since I don't want to send this to the other side, but I suspect the rural central valley folks (and others) are hoping to get some new Republican congresspeople out of the deal.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 13, 2018 01:23PM
pdq
cbelt3
Qui bono ?

Well, I go there with some trepidation, since I don't want to send this to the other side, but I suspect the rural central valley folks (and others) are hoping to get some new Republican congresspeople out of the deal.

Republican divide-and-conquer?

Sorry, political. wall smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 13, 2018 01:26PM
Im sure people way smarterer than us with a ton more info picked these splits based on a bunch of facts, stats and whatever else, but i would not want to live in "So Cal" with this split.

Besides San Diego, the rest is purely rural and low income -- the oklahoma/north dakota for the west coast.

San Bernadino county is bigger than vermont and new hampshoire combined -- but filled with soemthing like 2 million people. Rural.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 13, 2018 01:28PM
jdc
Im sure people way smarterer than us with a ton more info picked these splits based on a bunch of facts, stats and whatever else, but i would not want to live in "So Cal" with this split.

Besides San Diego, the rest is purely rural and low income -- the oklahoma/north dakota for the west coast.

San Bernadino county is bigger than vermont and new hampshoire combined -- but filled with soemthing like 2 million people. Rural.
agree smiley
Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 13, 2018 01:32PM
First thought that comes to my mind is triplications of all the bureaucratic functions we already have in this single state. Would it not appear that each new state would require its own government, courts, etc. Frankly it strikes me as a stupid idea that would only create more useless bureaucratic jobs, essentially a parasitic drain on the resources created by the honest working folks that actually contribute something useful to the rest of us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 01:32PM by tortoise.
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: June 13, 2018 01:38PM
I'm sorry, I can't get behind any split that has Southern California more north than regular California and Northern California.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 13, 2018 01:42PM
stupid - won't get anywhere neat passing and even if it does, it's meaningless. US congress would have to approve and they can't agree on anything.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 13, 2018 02:01PM
DeusxMac
pdq
cbelt3
Qui bono ?

Republican divide-and-conquer?

Sorry, political. wall smiley

This was my assumption from the first time I heard about it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 13, 2018 02:04PM
Hal has it

Three states, so there would be four additional senators, only one area would possibly go Republican. So the Senate goes from 100 to 104, given the current 50-50 split, at beast it would be 52-52, but could just as easily be 53-51 in either direction. Neither party likes to gamble, so it won't fly any more than Puerto Rico statehood.

The last time a state divided was 1863 when West Virginia split off from Virginia. That was more about the Civil War than any other reason.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davester
Date: June 13, 2018 02:26PM
There are pros and cons to splitting up the state. The main pro to my mind is that California has one of the lowest per capita representations in the Federal senate, so adding senators would be good. There is no way that the founders could have imagined how disparate and undemocratic the representation would become. This would be better dealt with at the Federal level by expanding the number of senators from populous states as compared to states composed of mainly empty land with cows.

The cons are almost too numerous to count.

Regardless, that map makes no sense to me. Monterey area is totally disconnected both culturally and physically from LA. Same thing with San Diego and the eastern desert counties.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 02:27PM by davester.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 13, 2018 02:29PM
Any idiot with enough money can get something on the ballot here in California, and that's exactly what happened… too bad that money wasn't spent on something more worthwhile.
Posted by: Pat
Date: June 13, 2018 05:09PM
bfd
Any idiot with enough money can get something on the ballot here in California, and that's exactly what happened… too bad that money wasn't spent on something more worthwhile.

Like a high speed train?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 13, 2018 09:35PM
Pat
bfd

Like a high speed train?

$93 Billion and counting for a $7 Billion project.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Pat
Date: June 13, 2018 11:08PM
Paul F.
Pat
bfd

Like a high speed train?

$93 Billion and counting for a $7 Billion project.

And counting, and counting, and counting
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 13, 2018 11:14PM
$93 Billion would pay for a lot of real public transportation.

Like city buses.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 14, 2018 08:37AM
bfd

agree smiley

=wr=
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 14, 2018 09:23AM
Wait for the End of Days Mega Earthquake to hit along the San Andreas Fault Line. See where it naturally splits and then sort it out afterwards.

The yellow area follows the fault line pretty closely already. Just keep going down to include the San Diego and the coast. Or are they trying to be fair and include some coastline for Southern Cali just for the heck of it?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 14, 2018 03:48PM
I don't think it should be split. If it were, however, I'm inclined to think it should be in two with a north and south. Possibly along that series of county lines north of Bakersfield.

But again, I don't think it should be split up. And I'm not a Californian so what do I know?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015