advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Phone across the sea....
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 13, 2018 01:25PM
My daughter is traveling to Europe shortly and was wondering what to do with her phone. She has an unlocked iPhone 6 that is on Tracfone. Will that phone be useable in Europe using Tracfone?Should we have her buy a SIM for a local service when she gets there? Her use would mainly be for messaging and Internet use and calling us here in the ,uS, hardly any local calling. Switch service or get a new phone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Phone across the sea....
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 13, 2018 01:32PM
Many carriers have fairly Europe-friendly policies. T-Mobile has free texting and data (albeit 2G) in Europe (or Iceland and France, at least, that I'm personally aware of), and voice calls are 20 cents a minute.

So I'd start with her existing carrier and see what their deal is.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 13, 2018 03:40PM
Verizon had a very affordable overseas service when I went to Iran. I went thru several countries and Verison would greet me with Hello from Germany or whatever country I was entering. Used going to Baja. Worked well and no messing with Sims.
Posted by: Buck
Date: June 13, 2018 04:39PM
Verizon is $10 a day and then uses your existing plan for calling texting and data.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 13, 2018 04:48PM
Unless she is going to be there for just a relatively short time it is usually best to buy a sim when she gets there, buy some text and data minutes for it and she texts you her new number.
When she buys the sim ask where and when she can buy refills for it. Sometimes there are restrictions. Nothing like being in Italy with a Sim you bought in France that works but you can't refill it without going back to France. Some do, some don't.

If this is just a short vacation tracfone might have a access plan but they are usually kind of pricey, especially making international calls.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 13, 2018 05:10PM
Prepaid plans can be a problem, and Tracfone is no exception. Most of the prepaids allow zero international roaming. You can check the specifics of the Tracfone plan she has (and be sure to look for roaming as opposed to international calling from the US).

I would say the choices are to move to a post paid plan before she leaves (eg, TMobile), or get the SIM when she arrives. (She could also shut off cellular data and just use wifi, but voice calling and texting would be unavailable.)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2018 06:52PM
If she doesn't require texting to stay in touch with her travel mates, likely she can get by with WiFi wherever she stays or wherever she finds a signal. FaceTime/Skype/WhatsApp will do most of what she wants using whatever WiFi is available. For those few times when she must call or text, she can buy a local SIM from a bigger carrier in any country in Europe and add minutes using the web or simply buying through her phone when she gets a warning from the carrier on her phone. Those minutes will work in any country albeit at a higher rate than in the country where she bought the SIM. Note that the warning, etc. IIRC, will be in the language of the country where she is rather than the country where she bought the SIM so plan ahead.

We did this and it worked just fine. We bought from a small shop off the main drag. The seller set up the SIM, sold us a nice prepaid plan and made certain it worked, i.e., that my wife and I could call each other. At other times we bought a new SIM in each country but never used many minutes - better for us to simply pay the international rates for the occasional call.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015