advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Outdoor padlock for fence. Anything good in the $20 range?
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 13, 2018 01:59PM
Outdoor padlock for fence. Anything good in the $20 range?
I know padlocks can be smashed, snipped, or picked. It's a deterrent mostly. Withstand rain and NY winter freeze.

Saltwater is not a concern. Combination or key is fine.

I'm sure a $25 lock like this will work. Anything cheaper?

[www.amazon.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Outdoor padlock for fence. Anything good in the $20 range?
Posted by: rz
Date: June 13, 2018 02:16PM
I have two outdoor fences with padlocks. They're Masters, but they have a combination "dial" on them. You can get them with letters and numbers to make it easier to remember the combination. Like you, they're meant to be deterrents. If someone wants to use a bolt cutter or a dremel, they're going to get in. Heck, they could climb over the fence if they really want.

I chose the combination locks after we couldn't find one of the keys. I sat with a dremel for like 15 minutes to cut the old lock off.

They've already paid for themselves. Several years ago, I went into the backyard and found a stack of stuff piled up by the gate. Someone apparently climbed over the chain locked link gate in the back corner (not our gate... long story) and was planning on stealing a bunch of stuff and walking out the gate by our driveway. Guess they didn't count on it being locked on the outside! The only thing we could verify missing was a $3 plant I had just bought the weekend before. I guess they didn't want to leave empty handed.
Date: June 13, 2018 02:18PM
oh, forgot to mention. I live in Florida, so I can't say how the dial locks would stand up to cold/snow. But it rains a lot in the summer here. Every year or so, I shoot some WD-40 into the lock to keep it working. The one has lasted about 5-6 years so far.
Date: June 13, 2018 02:38PM
rz
They're Masters, but they have a combination "dial" on them.

The typical school gym combination lock with black circular knob dial on the front? Interesting that they've held up ok in the Florida rain.

I totally get what you were thinking. If someone hops the 6ft fence to get into my backyard, I'll be damned if they were to just waltz out through the gate with my stuff. They'll have to work a bit for it. Hah.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 13, 2018 02:57PM
The round locks are nice. [www.amazon.com]

They are virtually bolt cutter proof, as the shank isn't long enough to get a bite on with bolt cutters. There are some good quality versions available that are also hard to pick.

Those Master combination locks that are used with gym lockers are weak. A quick blow with a hammer and you're in.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 13, 2018 03:00PM
I live in wet Texas and just buy Masters locks and they hold up fine. With or without a key kind.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2018 03:05PM
We've used outdoor padlocks with a key, and cut a rubber sheet to cover it , screwed to the hasp. That takes care of most of the moisture / salt / etc... Pretty much anything outdoor rated will do. And... if you get too robust, they will just cut through the fence.

At our home, we have the hasp for the padlock inside the fence. so they have to climb into the yard to even cut the lock.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 13, 2018 03:08PM
A $4 rotary dial combination lock will fall apart with a minimal amount of pounding. If it has a key slot on the back, it likely can be picked very easily. A relative is still using a very old version of a Master 4 digit set-your-own combination lock, I'm pretty sure it's older than me and it still works fine. I can't say the current models on sale will last that long.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 13, 2018 03:46PM
I have two of these:

[www.amazon.com]

One each in Oregon and Idaho. 5 years old, and they still work great (with occasional lube required).

The one that you linked to is plenty for what you require.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 13, 2018 03:50PM
I bought the first kind for my storage unit, 5 days later it was cut. And they took my beloved specilaized road bike. grrrrrrrrrr.

Went with the round style. Near impossible to cut.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 13, 2018 05:42PM
3d
rz
They're Masters, but they have a combination "dial" on them.

The typical school gym combination lock with black circular knob dial on the front? Interesting that they've held up ok in the Florida rain.

I totally get what you were thinking. If someone hops the 6ft fence to get into my backyard, I'll be damned if they were to just waltz out through the gate with my stuff. They'll have to work a bit for it. Hah.

No, more like this : [www.amazon.com]
Date: June 13, 2018 06:52PM
3d
I'm sure a $25 lock like this will work. Anything cheaper?
[www.amazon.com]

Ohman, the shackle on this is almost half an inch thick. LOL That's not gonna work. I'll check out the other locks mentioned. I'm digging the combination ones. Since it's not exactly high security lockdown we're talking about here.

Re: Round locks.
This might sound bizarre, but I actually WANT a lock that is clippable. In case I can't open it for whatever reason.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 14, 2018 01:19AM
I researched locks several months back, and there was another brand that scored high marks, but I forget what it was off the top of my head. I'll be back in action sometime Friday, and will try to dig up the old results then. IIRC, it was of European origin.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 14, 2018 12:05PM
I wouldn't normally use WD-40 as a lubricant for a lock mechanism.

It's good at what it's designed for, but it's not a lubricant. Something like Tri-Flow or Dri-Slide would be a better choice.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 14, 2018 01:40PM
WD-40 now has a product line that includes grease.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015