advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
About the HomePod...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 13, 2018 04:56PM
The Tech Specs show it's 802.11ac (and backwards compatible to some degree, I assume) but don't show whether or not it's dual band. Does anybody know how many bands and what freqs?

I'd like to have all my Mac kit on 5GHz and the HomePod, Echo Dots, Hue stuff, etc., on 2.4GHz. This means (I assume) that with my 'Phone on 5GHz, it won't control the home automation stuff unless I move it to 2.4.

I could leave an iPad on 2.4, but if the HP can use the same freq, the 'Phone can stay on 5GHz.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: About the HomePod...
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 13, 2018 05:25PM
The only thing I could find was B and H's note under "Specs" that HomePod supported the 2.4 GHz band. That may not be reliable information:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 13, 2018 05:39PM
RAMd®d
I'd like to have all my Mac kit on 5GHz and the HomePod, Echo Dots, Hue stuff, etc., on 2.4GHz. This means (I assume) that with my 'Phone on 5GHz, it won't control the home automation stuff unless I move it to 2.4.

That doesnt sound right. Not sure how your phone is connected to the web, via 5 GH or 2.4 GH or LTE, would effect the connection between it and any other device.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: June 13, 2018 08:02PM
What is 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it?

[www.extremetech.com]

According to this article, it is 5 GHz.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 14, 2018 01:41AM
WHiiP
What is 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it?

[www.extremetech.com]

According to this article, it is 5 GHz.

802.11ac utilized 5 GHz only; 802.11n, the previous wireless spec, utilizes both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

EDIT: Also, though that article (written in 2016) indicates that 802.11ac Wave 2 isn't yet implement, that is no longer the case.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 01:45AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 14, 2018 08:27AM
Not sure how your phone is connected to the web, via 5 GH or 2.4 GH or LTE, would effect the connection between it and any other device.

I want all the home automation devices on a network separate from my computer/iDevice gear. So I figure 5GHz for the former and 2.4GHz for the latter, since so far the home automation bits only function on 2.4.

Then I need to be able to control them. It seems my Dots work only on 2.4 so using Alexa to control them works pretty well, except when additional 'skills' are needed. You have to set up an account for any skill from a third-party, and that makes me a little leery.

Currently, Siri and 'Phone apps are is also used to control some devices. This means my 'Phone has to be on the same 2.4 network as the devices (which ideally would be a different network, as previously mentioned.

If I can put the Home Pod on 2.4, I may not need the 'Phone to be on that network. That's my goal.

It's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding some points of the whole automation thing and I'm making extra work for nothing.

I want a HomePod and using it instead of Alexa is as important to me as the music aspect.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: June 14, 2018 01:26PM
I think I get all that, but Im still missing as to how/why what network they are on matters for connection or ease of use.

Heres where I get lost: If you turn off the wireless on your iPhone, so its running LTE, are you saying that it will no longer allow you to control devices?

We have iPhones and iMacs all on 5 GHz, and Im sure all of our BT speakers, headphones, printers, garage door openers, etc are on 2.4. But just because my iMac/iPhone is on 5 GHz doesnt mean it cant talk to all those other devices becuase they are on the 2.4 network -- right?

----

Date: June 15, 2018 06:04AM
But just because my iMac/iPhone is on 5 GHz doesnt mean it cant talk to all those other devices becuase they are on the 2.4 network -- right?

No, not right.

Using WiFi to communicate means the appropriate devices have to be on the same network. When I had my AEBS on, but not connected (my Sonic replacement modem is a modem and wire/wireless router) my 'Phone would frequently chose the 5GHz network, and when I told Siri to do something she'd reply with a 'your device is not responding. Make sure you're on the same network or HomeKit has remote sharing set up' or something similar. I'm not yet comfortable with the remote access thing.

How one network would communicate with the other is beyond my limited scope of knowledge, and would seem to defeat the purpose of having separate networks in the first place.

I could set up accounts with each device's vendor for remote access, but I really don't want to do that. It's one of the things that bugs me about Alexa. To make her smarter you can enable skills written by automation enthusiasts and a few corporations, I think. But you have to set up an account with just about every one of them. I'm slightly paranoid.

Again, I may be missing finer, or even not so fine points of the whole automation thing.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Date: June 15, 2018 04:49PM
I guess Im just not familair with how it works.

My 5 GH iphones/imacs/ipads all seem to talk to the 2.4 GH stuff just fine, so dunno.

I dont see the issue if they all needed to be connected to the 5 GH, big whoop. Not sure why they need to be seperate?

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015