advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1Password alternatives?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 20, 2018 08:28AM
Looking for 1Password alternatives that you are using that charge a one-time fee, instead of a monthly fee for the rest of ones life. Prefer to have one that has a browser extension.

thanks for any experiences.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1Password alternatives?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 20, 2018 08:33AM
Would iCloud Keychain work?
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 20, 2018 08:41AM
LastPass is working for me.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 20, 2018 08:54AM
2Passwords, 1Cup?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 20, 2018 09:35AM
tuqqer,

I'm still using 1PW, but am not going to update to the subscription model. I'll deal with the problem when that finally fails.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 20, 2018 09:35AM
Just curious, why not 1password? it still seems like the best overall, but that can be a hard comparison to make too.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 20, 2018 09:42AM
you can still buy 1Password for a flat fee, the link is apparently not obvious but it was posted here a few weeks ago when 1Password 7 topic came up. Search and you will find a link to it, I believe "Doc" posted it.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 20, 2018 11:21AM
I've been using Dashlane on my PC at work (do not want to pay for a second 1Password license), but I think I prefer the way 1Password works.

It is what it is.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2018 11:33AM
Enpass works similarly to 1Password, and is free at the App Store.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 20, 2018 12:34PM
DeusxMac

I been using this for more than a year. Seems to work pretty well.

Fred
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: June 20, 2018 12:51PM
With this link, [1password.com], you get 90 (instead of 30) days to try the subscription model, either individual or family. You don't even have to enter any credit card info.

I had been using the standalone, flat fee 1Password 6, but decided to try the subscription model for our entire family when version 7 came out since my boys are already starting to collect a bunch of passwords for different things.

I believe the aggregate reviews of password managers consistently puts 1Password on top.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 20, 2018 02:06PM
Any password app that is free means you are the product and not the customer. Beware.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 20, 2018 02:19PM
Keychain Access. Free and built-in.

[www.macworld.com]
Date: June 20, 2018 02:19PM
sekker
Any password app that is free means you are the product and not the customer. Beware.

…unless it's Keychain Access.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 20, 2018 02:40PM
Article,

Free and built-in but horribly designed and woefully inadequate when compared to a full-featured app like 1Password. 1Password outclasses it on multiple levels.

Robert
Date: June 20, 2018 02:54PM
michaelb
Just curious, why not 1password? it still seems like the best overall, but that can be a hard comparison to make too.

I love 1Password, and continue to love it. But they no longer offer a stand-alone (ie, one-time payment) version. And I work with a growing team and in getting them proficient on their Macs and PCs (most are woefully behind), I don't want to saddle them with a monthly bill, thus the search.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 20, 2018 02:55PM
DeusxMac

I too use Enpass but note the iOS version is $9.95, only the desktop app is free.
But $10 is a bargain.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: June 20, 2018 02:57PM
Fred_Also
DeusxMac

Fred

This looks really good, Fred. thanks for the recommendation.

Date: June 20, 2018 03:05PM
tuqqer
michaelb

I love 1Password, and continue to love it. But they no longer offer a stand-alone (ie, one-time payment) version. And I work with a growing team and in getting them proficient on their Macs and PCs (most are woefully behind), I don't want to saddle them with a monthly bill, thus the search.

As mentioned earlier, there is a standalone purchase option. From the blog on or around launch day for 1Password 7 (my bold):

"1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase."
Posted by: what4
Date: June 20, 2018 04:47PM
Even though I owned a two copies of 1Password and updated them for years, I finally bought the subscription so I could have all my devices covered.

When 1Password introduced the subscription model, the terminology they used was baffling to me, and it was hard to figure out how to translate what I already knew into their new product.

The subscription version works pretty much the same as the old version. The PR impulse just got carried away in dreaming up flufflier benefit-oriented names for some functions -- instead of being bluntly clear about just what you were getting and how much it cost you and whether the old license was still valid, or for how long.

Before you transfer from license to subscription, back up, back up. Keep your own copies of your back up till you're quite sure everything has transferred.

I tried LastPass, but I couldn't make the transition. Too used to 1P.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 20, 2018 05:23PM
what4
Even though I owned a two copies of 1Password and updated them for years, I finally bought the subscription so I could have all my devices covered.

When 1Password introduced the subscription model, the terminology they used was baffling to me, and it was hard to figure out how to translate what I already knew into their new product.

The subscription version works pretty much the same as the old version. The PR impulse just got carried away in dreaming up flufflier benefit-oriented names for some functions -- instead of being bluntly clear about just what you were getting and how much it cost you and whether the old license was still valid, or for how long.

Before you transfer from license to subscription, back up, back up. Keep your own copies of your back up till you're quite sure everything has transferred.

I tried LastPass, but I couldn't make the transition. Too used to 1P.

Or to put it another way, 1Password have become BS artists. I have used 1Password for many years (I think my first license was $9.95, maybe it was $19.95, I can’t remember) but $49.99 or $64.99 is way too much. And I utterly reject the subscription model; the fact they try to obfuscate this by calling it a “membership” makes me dislike the company even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2018 06:22PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2018 06:19PM
tuqqer
Fred_Also
DeusxMac

Fred

You’re welcome. Oh, wait...
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 20, 2018 06:23PM
pinkoos
tuqqer
michaelb

As mentioned earlier, there is a standalone purchase option. From the blog on or around launch day for 1Password 7 (my bold):

"1Password 7 is included free for everyone with a 1Password membership. Simply unlock 1Password after downloading and you’re good to go.

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase."

So new users are SOL?
Date: June 20, 2018 06:24PM
DeusxMac
tuqqer
Fred_Also
DeusxMac

Fred

You’re welcome. Oh, wait...

hahahaha. Sorry, DeusxMac smiling smiley Thank YOU for the recommendation. It looks great.

Date: June 20, 2018 07:58PM
3d, maybe just download it and see what the options are. The download is free.
Date: June 20, 2018 09:02PM
Robert M
Article,

Free and built-in but horribly designed and woefully inadequate when compared to a full-featured app like 1Password. 1Password outclasses it on multiple levels.

Why not read my citation, Robert?
Date: June 20, 2018 09:10PM
I am pretty sure it is still possible to buy the standalone license for the mac and for ios (but not windows), even version 7. Are folks here suggesting that is not true?
Date: June 20, 2018 11:08PM
Keychain access does a lot and is likely secure.

1PW is trying to go SAS route. At the moment, I don’t have any computers that can run their updated software. I hope they keep supporting 1PW6.
Date: June 21, 2018 05:00AM
Article,

Your post itself didn't offer any specific detail and seemed contradictory. You appear to recommend Keychain Access but then posted a link to an article that was far less about Keychain Access than it was about its competitors.

Robert
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 21, 2018 05:39AM
I use Last Pass on my Mac (in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox), and use the app on my iPhone.

It does everything I need and is completely free.

The only thing I *don't* like is that the passwords are stored "in the vault," which is a hosted storage, which never feels 100% secure. I've been using it for years with no problems, but obviously, anything can happen.

[www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 05:39AM by The UnDoug.
Date: June 21, 2018 07:24AM
Here’s the LastPass funding model:

[lastpass.com]

I’m still wary. Do they have enough premium customers at $24/year to maintain everything?

I know several happy users, however.
Date: June 21, 2018 08:53AM
To me the key concern about Lastpass is that they have been hacked, possibly more than once. Since this is the most critical info I have, not getting hacked or being at risk of hacked, is my number #1 feature.

My understanding of 1password, and they are pretty open about this, is that 1password can't really get hacked by how they operate, and that the data is encrypted and never saved in a way that could be hacked (on the cloud or locally on the mac or ios). So at some level we have to trust someone, and at least on the security side, 1password seems like the most transparent and protective.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 21, 2018 09:12AM
my bold

I like it!

I'm stealing it to use in a different context. When I say or do something that someone else takes umbrage with, I'll say 'my bold' to denote that it wasn't a mistake and no apology is intended nor should be expected. Thank you pinkoos!

I'm not particularly keen on passwords being stored in a non-Apple vault. 1Password, Last Pass, whoever... I'm never confident they'll be around as long as Apple or me, although the latter is always a roll of the dice. Wasn't one of the password-managers' sites hacked sometime back? I may be misremembering.

So far I haven't seen anything in this thread that makes it clear whether or not someone without a v.6 license can get v.7. Can you get v.6 now and then upgrade? Sometimes the price is $65. Prices like that make a grown man holler.

How secure is keychain, once in iCloud? Is it as secure as encrypted data to iCloud? My issue with KeyChain is have to have Safari enable in iCloud. I don't care to have all my bookmarks in all my browsers, especially on my Keep It Simple MacBook.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 21, 2018 09:51AM
1Password stores data locally, but if you move the vault to dropbox or iCloud drive, then it is in the cloud. However, someone would have to hack the cloud and then the 1Password file itself. I could post my 1Password valut here, I am not sure what a hacker could do with it since the encryption is very strong as far as I understand it.

Also to note is that I do not trust Apple with their iCloud Keychain. There are so many complains about people losing files, contacts, etc that I do not trust iCloud for anything critical. Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon, etc they seem to know the Cloud better than Apple. I recall that Steve Jobs was so impressed with DropBox that he wanted to buy the whole company for like $100M, and the DropBox refused.

Anyway, enable 2 Factor Authentication for the most critical accounts (email, financials, etc). That way even if you get hacked by someone, they cannot log in without our cell phone.
Date: June 21, 2018 09:57AM
Space,

Exactly! You said it better than I.

Robert
Date: June 21, 2018 10:04AM
space-time
1Password stores data locally, but if you move the vault to dropbox or iCloud drive, then it is in the cloud. However, someone would have to hack the cloud and then the 1Password file itself. I could post my 1Password valut here, I am not sure what a hacker could do with it since the encryption is very strong as far as I understand it....

space, I've always wanted to ask questions about that stored file. I keep my 1Password file on Dropbox. Here's what I see when I open that folder. Are both the .1pif and the .opvault files protected? Also, I've realized that any attachments I have are viewable by anyone that gets into my Dropbox account, so I've learned to not take screenshots of sensitive material.

Posted by: 3d
Date: June 21, 2018 10:12AM
You should put that 1Pass file in a folder called "Metric_Fraction Conversion.file". No one their right mind would look in there. Safe!

tuqqer
Date: June 21, 2018 11:00AM
Agilebits posts tons of info about 1password on their blog and they are open about how they store the files and how they encrypt, including using open source tools. Way over my head. But as I understand the basic concept, 1password never stores your password and only stores data encrypted, so it shouldn't matter if you posted your 1password file here there or anywhere, since it can't be accessed (unless your password is weak and subject to a brute force attack).

the one exception is if you use touchid on the phone: then some info is stored in the secure enclave on the iphone. So you are depending on that layer of Apple security. A further exception is if you decide to store stuff on the apple watch; that may not be encrypted on the watch; but that is a choice record by record.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 21, 2018 04:38PM
3d
You should put that 1Pass file in a folder called "Metric_Fraction Conversion.file". No one their right mind would look in there. Safe!

they'll look, now that you've posted it on the 'net secret smiley
smileys with beer

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 21, 2018 05:41PM
1Password stores data locally

Hm.

So maintaining a few Macs and iDevices is a little more complicated than I thought. I suppose the vault could be stored on a NAS.

Or sneaker net.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 21, 2018 10:07PM
Article Accelerator

[www.macworld.com]

I wouldn't mind using Keychain Access but it's not cross-platform - how do I access my passwords on my work PC running the Chrome browser?
Date: June 22, 2018 02:06AM
pinkoos
Article Accelerator

[www.macworld.com]

I wouldn't mind using Keychain Access but it's not cross-platform - how do I access my passwords on my work PC running the Chrome browser?

I believe you can do that by signing into iCloud.com on a browser.
Date: June 22, 2018 08:41AM
Article Accelerator
pinkoos
Article Accelerator

[www.macworld.com]

I believe you can do that by signing into iCloud.com on a browser.

I'm not seeing anything related to Keychain when I sign in at work.

Regardless, how does it work? Once signed in, does iCloud autofill usernames and passwords the way that 1Password or LastPass does? My point is that without true, seamless cross platform functionality, Keychain is not a good solution for many many people (including myself). I'd love to have the security that Apple is known for across all the devices I use, but since I'm forced to use PCs at work, I need the better, friction-less solution that 1Password provides me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020