advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Propane Tank expired, cost to recertify at Globe Gas
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 21, 2018 12:38PM
Cost $40 to rectify old tank. Cost $25 for a new Tank at Costco.

But to get rid of old tank at my local Globe Gas, cost $20 to drop off.....

Guess Ill buy new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 12:39PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Propane Tank expired, cost to recertify at Globe Gas
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 21, 2018 12:49PM
Can you still trade in an old tank for a new, filled tank at the places that swap rather than refill? Might mitigate some of the expense of disposal. You can refill what you swap next time around if you don't like the swap system.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 21, 2018 12:54PM
Or just leave the old tank on their doorstep some evening. It's their tank, why should you have to pay to give it back tom them? That is nothing more than a money grab.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: billb
Date: June 21, 2018 01:10PM
You can usually get $15 or $25 for one on Craigslist here, even expired needeing recertifying one.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 21, 2018 01:28PM
Most places with hazardous waste disposal organizations will take expired (and preferably empty) propane tanks for free. They really don't want them in the landfill.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 21, 2018 01:29PM
The fishing resort I visited last weekend still has dozens of the old tanks in service. They fill them themselves, so no compatibility issues.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 21, 2018 02:35PM
I just took one a while ago to the local Wally World and did a tank swap. They don't care. $15 and I got a new tank that was "full" (they only put like 17 lbs in instead of 20.)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2018 02:40PM
Yep, I've never had a place look at the date when exchanging.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 21, 2018 04:16PM
At local stores they are trained to check for dates when exchanging. When I was certified to pump propane as a part of a summer job, I was also required to check. California, ya know.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: June 21, 2018 05:42PM
cbelt3
I just took one a while ago to the local Wally World and did a tank swap. They don't care. $15 and I got a new tank that was "full" (they only put like 17 lbs in instead of 20.)

You sure that 17 lbs isn't a full tank for a 20 lbs container? By law they're only supposed to fill to about 80%. On my RV with a frame mounted tank and POL connector I only get about 80% on a fill up.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 21, 2018 06:10PM
bobinmurphy
cbelt3

You sure that 17 lbs isn't a full tank for a 20 lbs container? By law they're only supposed to fill to about 80%. On my RV with a frame mounted tank and POL connector I only get about 80% on a fill up.

Nope. They started short filling several years ago to avoid increasing the price. The swap tanks are usually filled to 15lbs.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 21, 2018 06:51PM
macphanatic
bobinmurphy
cbelt3

Nope. They started short filling several years ago to avoid increasing the price. The swap tanks are usually filled to 15lbs.

Both AmeriGas and BlueRhino changed from 17 to 15lbs in 2008 and forced Walmart to accept it.

[www.lexology.com]

Prior to April 2008, Blue Rhino and AmeriGas had been filling exchange tanks with seventeen pounds of propane, as was the industry standard. As the price of propane, steel and diesel fuel began to rise, Blue Rhino decided to combat the increasing costs by decreasing the fill level to fifteen pounds, without changing the price of the exchange tanks. According to the FTC, this reduction in fill level was “in effect a 13% increase in the price of propane.”6

Recognizing that it would be at a competitive disadvantage if the changed fill level was implemented unilaterally, Blue Rhino decided to inform AmeriGas of its plans to reduce the fill level without a corresponding price decrease.7 Specifically, the complaint alleges that Blue Rhino’s President and AmeriGas’s Director of National Accounts spoke to each other on the phone seven times within thirty hours, beginning on June 18, 2008.8 Unbeknownst to Blue Rhino, months earlier, AmeriGas had unilaterally contemplated changing the fill level on its propane exchange tanks. AmeriGas abandoned the plan out of concern that it would be at a disadvantage if competitors did not follow its lead.9 Then on June 20, 2008, after the conversations with Blue Rhino, AmeriGas’s management produced a draft budget with a plan to reduce the fill level of propane exchange tanks from seventeen to fifteen pounds.10 The largest propane exchange tank consumer, Walmart, pushed back on both companies and did not want to agree to the fill decrease.

The FTC alleged that Blue Rhino and AmeriGas talked about Walmart’s resistance and agreed that they each would demand that Walmart accept the fill reduction. In its complaint, the FTC cited numerous phone calls between Blue Rhino’s Vice President of Sales and AmeriGas’ Director of National accounts about the Walmart negotiation.11 After one such phone call, Blue Rhino emailed Walmart to demand that the customer accept the fill reduction. AmeriGas emailed Walmart the next day, using language similar to Blue Rhino’s email.12 Walmart ultimately capitulated and accepted both AmeriGas and Blue Rhino’s fill reductions.13 The FTC claimed that this “secret agreement” had the “effect of raising the price per pound of propane to Walmart and likely to the consumers” in violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act.14

Posted by: testcase
Date: June 21, 2018 08:45PM
They make great targets for tracer rounds............ smiley_gun_sniper
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 22, 2018 07:13AM
Watch out many places are carrying 15# tanks instead of 20#.

[www.lowes.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 22, 2018 08:02AM
to avoid further problems, mark you calendar and swap about 6 months before it expires
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 22, 2018 06:46PM
Ferrilgas near my dad’s place charges a flat rate for a refill, but it’s only $11. Problem is, even after we told the guy it’s not a 20lb tank, but a 5lb tank, they still charged $11 to refill it. Those should cost more like $4.50 to refill.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 22, 2018 11:43PM
Places like Tractor Supply, Love's Truck Stops, many campgrounds and camper dealers fill tank by the gallon and not a flat rate.

Grateful11
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 23, 2018 05:27PM
As was said, swap it... I've never re-certified a tank in my life.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 25, 2018 06:06PM
I have only recertified semi-custom LPG and CNG tanks for boats. Worth the cost of the effort. I also have a connection so it isn't that expensive. The bigger the tank, the more beer I bring by at the end of Friday afternoon when the boss is gone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015