advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there a Mac app that logs when your internet goes down and why?
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 25, 2018 02:18PM
We're on DSL (CenturyLink) and when it's working, it's fine (although the D/L speeds are nothing to brag about). But it often seems that web pages just stop downloading at random times. I usually get about 1/5th of the page load progress bar and then it just sits there. If I give it enough time, it either starts again spontaneously, or times out saying the server stopped responding - or more rarely, that we're no longer connected to the internet. And if I check, this seems to be affecting our several different devices simultaneously in the same way.

I notice this happening most often mid-morning (I work afternoons as a half-timer) - not exactly what I would expect as a high-traffic time. I never seem to see it at work (which has some kind of commercial internet provider). And the sites affected are not obscure- when this happens, for instance, I'll open another tab and try to load google.com and it'll just sit there.

Don't know where to start. This morning, the DSL modem was still green, as was the Time Capsule I use to provide wireless access. Before I call CentruyLink and have someone in India tell me to restart my modem, I'd love to have a log of when and how often this happens. So is there a Mac app that will - I dunno - ping some sites throughout the day and log what happens?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there a Mac app that logs when your internet goes down and why?
Date: June 25, 2018 03:10PM
Hm - maybe Network Logger Pro?

Anyone have any experience with that?
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 25, 2018 03:45PM
Thanks pdq. It looks interesting. I've added it to my Wish List in AppShopper.com and will try it when it goes on sale.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 25, 2018 04:19PM
pdq
We're on DSL (CenturyLink) and when it's working, it's fine (although the D/L speeds are nothing to brag about). But it often seems that web pages just stop downloading at random times. I usually get about 1/5th of the page load progress bar and then it just sits there. If I give it enough time, it either starts again spontaneously, or times out saying the server stopped responding - or more rarely, that we're no longer connected to the internet. And if I check, this seems to be affecting our several different devices simultaneously in the same way.

I notice this happening most often mid-morning (I work afternoons as a half-timer) - not exactly what I would expect as a high-traffic time. I never seem to see it at work (which has some kind of commercial internet provider). And the sites affected are not obscure- when this happens, for instance, I'll open another tab and try to load google.com and it'll just sit there.

Don't know where to start. This morning, the DSL modem was still green, as was the Time Capsule I use to provide wireless access. Before I call CentruyLink and have someone in India tell me to restart my modem, I'd love to have a log of when and how often this happens. So is there a Mac app that will - I dunno - ping some sites throughout the day and log what happens?

pdq,

What browser are you using?
I am also on CenturyLink DSL in Minnesota.
I noticed that Safari on my Mac is not loading pages very fast (or not at all) but changing to chrome is just fine.

I have rebooted and restarted etc.

Steve
Date: June 25, 2018 05:00PM
kurtzie
What browser are you using?

Generally Safari.

Maybe I'll try a different one when this happens.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 25, 2018 09:28PM
Your Mac comes with a couple of tools that might be helpful:

Activity Monitor>Network

[support.apple.com]

nettop:

[osxdaily.com]

This link mentions a few apps that also might be helpful.

I have clients take screenshots of speed tests to illustrate the problem for the provider.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 25, 2018 11:11PM
We use PRTG for this at work. You can setup monitoring on different services and equipment to find out the cause of the outage. Isn’t cheap though.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 371
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018