advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New threat emerges for NC's famous wild horses, prompting warnings to tourists
Posted by: DP
Date: July 03, 2018 06:16AM
North Carolina's internationally famous Outer Banks wild horses are facing yet another threat to their survival.

After years of struggling against disease and fast-moving vehicles, the wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs are now being endangered by tourists feeding them junk food, say experts.

Foreign foods – even apples and carrots – can be deadly to the animals, according to a "No Feed, No Approach" campaign unveiled Friday.

[www.charlotteobserver.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New threat emerges for NC's famous wild horses, prompting warnings to tourists
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 03, 2018 12:06PM
I had no idea that they had essentially evolved to only be able to eat the local vegetation. Cool but sad.
Re: New threat emerges for NC's famous wild horses, prompting warnings to tourists
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: July 03, 2018 12:29PM
Not really new - same rules have applied for as long as I've been going...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 03, 2018 01:42PM
Racer X
I had no idea that they had essentially evolved to only be able to eat the local vegetation. Cool but sad.

Such snacks as carrots and apples aren't all that good for domesticated horses either. At least an owner will usually be aware of that and if their horse is particularly prone to digestive problems and limit the amount of such snacks. But tourists can be a source of unregulated amounts of these kinds of foods, and even if these wild horses could tolerate eating an occasional apple, they could easily get too many at once.

Reminds me of a animal game farm my father used to take us to when we were young. Some enclosures had feed stations where you could buy a suitable item and feed it to the animals. But there were only so many in each dispenser, and once sold out they would not be restocked until later. Often that was not until the next day.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 03, 2018 01:45PM
Similar to the Chincoteague ponies of Maryland and Virginia.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 03, 2018 03:46PM
Reminds me of a animal game farm my father used to take us to when we were young. Some enclosures had feed stations where you could buy a suitable item and feed it to the animals.

I spent many, many hours here from class field trips to family visits.

My very favorite activity was feeding the seals. You could get a dime bag (those were very innocent days) of sliced up fish and toss them over to the seals. They were excellent catchers. They did all the standard tricks but watching them swim effortlessly and pop up to catch fish, or climb up on their platform to catch fish was the best!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 04, 2018 12:40AM

America has way, way too many horses, according to a new study published in Science, and it could cost U.S. taxpayers $1.1 billion over the next 17 years.

There are about 33,000 wild horses running free in the United States. Descended from animals brought over by the Spanish in the 1500s, they roam throughout public lands in western states like Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, and Montana.

Overpopulation is a big concern. Too many horses could result in rangelands being stripped bare and an eventual population crash, which is why the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has a mandate to keep the number of wild horses at 23,622.

When wild pig or deer populations get out of control, the solution is simple: Allow hunters to kill them. With horses, it's not that easy.

While horse meat is regularly eaten in France, Sweden, and Japan, it's taboo in the United States, as well as in England, where ground horse found in supermarket hamburgers caused a minor uproar earlier this year.

[theweek.com]

I've eaten horse a number of times in Italy. I've had both horse steaks, and horse tartare. There are specialized butcher shops for horse meat. I don't know why people get so dewy eyed for wild horses. They are as noted not a native species.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 04, 2018 12:53AM
Yet there is actually no law against cannibalism in the US.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 04, 2018 06:45AM
I understand it's an acquired taste these days.

=TC
Date: July 04, 2018 12:08PM
Racer X

Actually there is one state that has a law on the books outlawing cannibalism. I came across mention of that a few days ago in one of those weird facts bits posted on a site. In most other states prosecution could be handled under laws against desecration of a corpse. And of course, if murder was involved in obtaining the human corpse, prosecution would proceed under those laws as well.
Date: July 04, 2018 12:22PM
JoeH
Racer X

Actually there is one state that has a law on the books outlawing cannibalism. I came across mention of that a few days ago in one of those weird facts bits posted on a site. In most other states prosecution could be handled under laws against desecration of a corpse. And of course, if murder was involved in obtaining the human corpse, prosecution would proceed under those laws as well.

Edit: Found the state, Idaho specifically has a law against cannibalism with an exemption for it being done "under extreme life-threatening conditions as the only apparent means of survival".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015