advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Interesting advertising experience: coincidence or paranoia?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 04, 2018 07:58AM
This happened to a friend of my spouse, a person who I would say is trust worthy, I don't see why she would make this up.

She was at the mall with another friend and noticed some interesting and expensive shoes in one of the stores. They stopped and looked at them.

Apparently they did not use the phone to search these shoes.

When she got home on her computer, on Facebook, plenty of ads for that particular brand of shoes.

She thinks the phone was "listening" to them... I would say if this is not a coincidence, then probably the phone tracks where you are and they know that particular location in the mall sells those shoes, or maybe they have cameras and use facial recognition and see who you are and what you look at at the mall.

Or just a simple freaking coincidence.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Interesting advertising experience: coincidence or paranoia?
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: July 04, 2018 08:08AM
Reply All had an interesting episode about this type of experience.

Facebook, as I recall, insisted that they don't listen in, but there are plenty of other ways, of course, they track to serve ads.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: July 04, 2018 08:36AM
Yes this has happened to some of my friends... they are listening
Posted by: billb
Date: July 04, 2018 08:50AM
They'll deny it even as they get busted for it.

And it's not just facebook and alexa et al, there are games that listen for keywords as well
I wouldn't be surprised they've figured out how to get past the microphone security controls in iOS.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 04, 2018 08:59AM
It does bring to mind the CEO of moviepass sticking his foot in his mouth by bragging at s Hollywood presentation about how their app has the ability to track users so they can potentially push ads to users for eateries and so forth near you while you’re out at the theater.

He walked it back after he caught hell, but it shows that the basic tech needed is out there, and that the idea of using it in just that fashion is probably burning a hole in their pocket.

”Lowe also commented on how they knew subscribers’ addresses, their demographics, and how they can track subs via the app and the phone’s GPS. This drew nervous laughter from the crowd—many of whom were MoviePass subscribers themselves—but Lowe assured them that this collecting of tracking data fits into their long-term revenue plan. He explained that their vision is to “build a night at the movies,” with MoviePass eventually directing subscribers to places to eat before movies, and places to grab drinks afterward (all for a cut from the vendors).”
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 04, 2018 09:31AM
Myabe it used location services.

Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: July 04, 2018 10:17AM
Blame Apple: iBeacon

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 04, 2018 10:25AM
Lots of ways this could occur based upon what services were available on her smart phone.

If she was signed into the store's app at the time, maybe to grab a coupon or something or maybe was using it earlier and left background-refresh enabled, then their WiFi and Bluetooth trackers would have IDd her and the store's ad servers would have a record of her stopping near that shoe display.

No telling who they share that info with.

Walk into a modern retail store with a smart phone and you're pwned.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 04, 2018 10:27AM
Altered Horizons
Blame Apple: iBeacon

iBeacon is for broadcasting (ads/coupons), not tracking. However, if you opt to view an ad or redeem a coupon from the beacon then you've departed from Apple's ecosystem and all bets are off.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 04, 2018 12:06PM
Location services. My phone is now asking me for reviews of places I have been where my phone is locked and in my pocket the whole time.

Between cellular, Bluetooth, and WiFi, they can (and will) locate you to about 3 ft ANY time your phone can see two network locations.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 04, 2018 12:11PM
There's something to be said for having a dumb phone at times...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 04, 2018 12:59PM
Unless the store in question was a branded store and not a generic shoe store, “location services” does not adequately explain how they knew what brand of shoe she was looking at.

It is what it is.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 04, 2018 01:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Unless the store in question was a branded store and not a generic shoe store, “location services” does not adequately explain how they knew what brand of shoe she was looking at.

True, but there's a chance what she was looking at could have been a product being pushed by the store, both with the in-store display and the online ad.

Very possibly neither.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 04, 2018 01:03PM
Minority Report or some other movie had an individual walking in a mall (and maybe on public transit?) and was recognized (facial rec) and targeted for ads as moved about.

It didn't seem all that far fetched at the time, and now we have life/tech attempting to imitate art.

Not too long ago, the same subject was discussed on MacBreak Weekly, and Leporte dismissed it as both coincidence and paranoia. (I'm not a fan of Laporte.)

And when it's not coincidence, a touch of paranoia may be appropriate.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 04, 2018 05:53PM
I'd say test this scientifically: Have two or more subjects with a common lack of interest in a given product turn off/lock all their phones and then discuss said product at some length, e.g. non-cat owners comparing the merits of cat foods, cat litters, or scratching posts, then see if any or all of them receive ads for the products they discussed. You'd probably need a control group of non-cat owners to follow the phone locked protocol and discuss another unrelated but similarly specific and heavily advertised subject in which they have no interest such as diet supplements.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 04, 2018 06:53PM
Two threads down:

[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018