advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mysterious incident of water leaking from the refrigerator...
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 04, 2018 12:09PM
Ugh...random water showing up on the kitchen floor, no pattern to it. Bottom freezer. Ice and cold water in the upper door, Kitchen Aid. Thought the water line was leaking somewhere.

Was happening until I pulled the freezer door all the way open and noticed ice on the floor of the freezer. We got that out and water on the floor stopped. Thinking that opening the freezer was melting it and it was running out.

But ice is building up on the floor again, more than can be attributed to condensation. So we have a slow leak somewhere. In the line or the water filter I guess. Going to check this weekend.

Any body have had this happen? Or thoughts on troubleshooting?

TIA

Watching the movie Twister right now...ILM did a great job with the tornados...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mysterious incident of water leaking from the refrigerator...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 04, 2018 12:18PM
You probably have a blocked drain for the water coming off the cooling coils during the defrost cycle. If it can not go down the drain into the drip pan underneath to be evaporated by the fan running air over the evaporator coils, then it will flow into the freezer or onto your kitchen floor.

Clearing the blockage may take partial disassembly of the panels at the back of your freezer compartment. Then it depends on whether it is blocked with ice or mold and bits of food and other debris. Ice you may be able to melt with warm water, the other crud can usually be cleared with something like a long pipe cleaner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 12:23PM by JoeH.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 04, 2018 12:20PM
You might have a blocked defrost drain. When the defrost cycle starts, water drains down through a small hole that can easily get blocked. Look up blocked defrost drain for your model and usually they can be easily unblocked.

Athens, OH
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 04, 2018 01:00PM
.........The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 01:01PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: July 04, 2018 01:05PM
The forum rocks again! Thanks!!
Date: July 04, 2018 01:05PM
NewtonMP2100

Busted...
Posted by: billb
Date: July 04, 2018 01:56PM
You most likely have a blocked defrost drain. :-)

I've seen them block with ice from a bad door seal and from something a benign as the door left ajar overnite.
A hairdryer might fix it if you can get at it.

I condemned our freezer door's ice crusher gear box and it was repaired after I gave up on it. Simply. with a hair dryer. Froze up after the power went out for 24 hours. I still don't see how it fixed it but the boss said that's what she did and it is fixed.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 04, 2018 02:21PM
blocked Defrost drain is most likely.. but you have to find out why it's happening.,.

I'd pour some hot water on the ice accumulation..then gently remove the ice with a butter knife or something, make sure you clear the drain..however it's set up//....then go on about your business and see if it happens again in a few days or a week..keep your eye on things..

If it happens again right away then you have an issue where the symptom is the drain..but not the cause...and that issue could be tough to track down
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 04, 2018 02:57PM
It might be a blocked defrost drain. Start there and report back.
patriot smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 04, 2018 04:17PM
Lizabeth
NewtonMP2100

Busted...

What color is the "water" ? ? ?
==
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 05, 2018 08:25AM
Lizabeth,

Your freezer drain is plugged. No parts needed. No Service call needed. You can solve the problem yourself. On the floor of the freezer, back left, where the floor rises a bit, there is a hole plugged with ice. That ice is from the defrost cycle that melts the frost on the coils. Instead of draining out that hole, it is staying in the freezer and refreezing when the defrost cycle is finished.

Clean out the ice you can see, exposing the drain hole. Now get out your hair dryer and heat that hole for about ½ hour. Be careful not to melt the plastic. You can tell when the drain hole is clear by when the water disappears. Put some table salt around the hole and use your turkey baster to pour a bit of Hot water down the hole. Between the salt and hot water, all of the ice in the drain hole should be gone, as well as whatever it was that plugged the drain in the first place. It could have bee a spider's egg, or a dust bunny that somehow got into the drain hose from the backside.

The entire job should take about an hour.

Lizabeth
Ugh...random water showing up on the kitchen floor, no pattern to it. Bottom freezer. Ice and cold water in the upper door, Kitchen Aid. Thought the water line was leaking somewhere.

Was happening until I pulled the freezer door all the way open and noticed ice on the floor of the freezer. We got that out and water on the floor stopped. Thinking that opening the freezer was melting it and it was running out.

But ice is building up on the floor again, more than can be attributed to condensation. So we have a slow leak somewhere. In the line or the water filter I guess. Going to check this weekend.

Any body have had this happen? Or thoughts on troubleshooting?

TIA

Watching the movie Twister right now...ILM did a great job with the tornados...

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 05, 2018 08:53AM
From modelamac's description the drain on a Kitchen Aid fridge is not too hard to get to. So thawing and clearing it should not be hard. On my Amana bottom freezer fridge the drain is behind a panel in the back of the freezer compartment, so some disassembly is required to get to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 10:42AM by JoeH.
Date: July 05, 2018 10:36AM
Thanks everyone!

Planning to work on it this weekend with the laptop on the counter open to this page.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 05, 2018 01:54PM
Is your cat becoming incontinent?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: July 05, 2018 05:54PM
wowzer
Is your cat becoming incontinent?

What cat?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 05, 2018 06:26PM
So it's time to defrost and clean! I only do that would make once in the fall on a below freezing day so I can keep everything cold by putting everything out into my garage. Repeat in the spring. It takes several hours for the whole job.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015