Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Netflix rolls out pricier HDR service
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 05, 2018 12:06PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

Subscribers will have to pay more to enjoy HDR content on compatible TVs, and to stream movies and TV shows on four devices simultaneously. The Premium plan that previously offered these things has been watered-down, as has the Standard plan.

Netflix hiked prices last October when its Standard and Premium plans became $1 and $2 more expensive. So, when details surrounding a new Ultra plan leaked out earlier this week, it seemed unlikely the company would hike prices again just eight months later. Netflix isn’t the only service raising prices. Pretty much every major streaming service is raising their prices.

These features were previously available on the €13.99 a month Premium plan, which no longer offers HDR video (but continues to stream in 4K) and now supports just two devices simultaneously. Meanwhile, the €7.99 a month Standard plan, which previously supported two streams simultaneously, now allows only one.

Italy and Germany are the first regions to see the Ultra plan, according to Cord Cutting, but it will almost certainly make its way to other territories — including the U.S. — soon.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netflix rolls out pricier HDR service
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 05, 2018 12:23PM
I'm on the DVD plan only. Not even Blu-ray for me.

I see no reason for a streaming plan when less than 5% of the movies I watch are available for streaming.

It's really not even that great for TV shows. I'd say that somewhere around 1/3 of the shows I watch are on streaming. Maybe a little better depending upon what I'm currently watching.

And the DVD plans are what is subsidizing the streaming part of the business...I say raise the prices on streaming plans until they actually make money...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 05, 2018 02:11PM
> And the DVD plans are what is subsidizing the streaming part of the business...I say raise the prices on streaming plans until they actually make money...

I don't think that's been the case for a very long time.

Loss of DVD subscribers; down about 10 million (from 13.x million to 3.x million) in 7 years: [www.recode.net]

In the US along, Netflix has about 55 million streaming subscribers; worldwide, that number is close to 118 million: [www.recode.net]

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 02:42PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 05, 2018 03:37PM
Great. Pay Netflix extra for HDR and pay your cable provider more for the added bandwidth. Seems like a win-win.

For them…
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 05, 2018 04:11PM
I wonder what most people's visual acuity is. There is a definite difference between 480P and 1080P but most people probably can't see a massive difference between 1080P and 2160P (4K). To get the most out of 4K the content needs to be superb, Screen needs to be large, and viewer needs to sit closely.

Posted by: dk62
Date: July 05, 2018 05:25PM
Right, but the real improvement is in dynamic range, not resolution.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 05, 2018 09:20PM

Grateful11
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 06, 2018 12:00AM
I think it's still a good deal.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 06, 2018 08:39PM
I wonder what most people's visual acuity is.

This.

I believe most people (certainly in every case I've seen) sit outside their acceptable zone to appreciate an improvement over 720p. They either need to set closer, get a bigger screen, or as you say, both.

Then there's the fact that those they might be capable of perceiving the improved detail in a proper setup, would they even realize it, unless it was pointed out to them. Maybe they'd realize it on their own, if they went back to 720 from 1080, etc.

Mom always told me 'You're sitting too close! You'll ruin your eyesight'.

the real improvement is in dynamic range, not resolution.

For me, high resolution is important. But I agree that HDR is easily a more readily appreciated improvement, and it's not viewing-distance sensitive.

My issue is low bandwidth and I don't think I'll be able to stream 4K without any buffering, and that's mandatory for preserving my immersive requirement.

But it's a moot point. One probably won't find many/any 1080p TVs with HDR. And if there are any, they'll go the way of the VCR soon enough.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 06, 2018 11:02PM
RAMd®d
One probably won't find many/any 1080p TVs with HDR. And if there are any, they'll go the way of the VCR soon enough.

HDR is not available on 1080p TVs. Every HDR TV is 4K, but not every 4K TV is HDR.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018