advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Portable (not permanently installed) fan - looking for a low speed/quiet one. Recommendations?
Posted by: clay
Date: July 05, 2018 02:43PM
I'm looking for 1-2 small/medium size fans to use in a setting where I need to keep extraneous noise to a bare minimum. I'd just like to be able to move a little air in what will be an otherwise completely still space. I'm thinking of something somewhere between one of those common 8" diameter fans and a standard box fan. Doesn't need to move a ton of air, just provide a light breeze and be pretty quiet.

Think of what might be good to use in a recording studio or control room if keeping low noise levels is of utmost importance, rather than finding something that will move a ton of air. Low speed is fine.

Any ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Portable (not permanently installed) fan - looking for a low speed/quiet one. Recommendations?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 05, 2018 03:17PM
In my limited experience, tower fans with their squirrel cage-type fan assembly tend to be quieter than others. But, I don't think there's such a thing as fan that is quiet enough to be used in a recording studio.

Edit: Possibly one those Dyson airblade-type things, except I don't know much about them because I'm not about to spend $400 for a fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 03:21PM by AllGold.
Re: Portable (not permanently installed) fan - looking for a low speed/quiet one. Recommendations?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 05, 2018 04:21PM
I use various models of Vornado circulators. On low, they are all fairly quiet but as you increase the power they do get rather loud.

btw, a friend bought a Dyson. What a friggin joke. She returned it the next day!

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 05, 2018 04:35PM
My wife loves to have a fan blowing all the time. Most fans are incredibly loud and move very little air. There was a Casablanca line that was both quiet and effective but it was discontinued years ago and they sell for big bucks on eBay. I've rented a condo that had the Dyson in it and I was surprised by how much air it moves and how quietly it does it. No it's not a Vornado but I don't think that's what it's trying to be.
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 05, 2018 04:43PM
We use a nicely made Black+Decker bfb09w 9" blade unit and it's perfect on low for the evening cooling of the master bedroom. It replaced two box fans that moved air and even on "low" were noisy.
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 05, 2018 05:01PM
You need to get one soon since the Big Box Stores clear out seasonal items when the next season is on the horizon.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 05, 2018 05:19PM
Rowenta makes a real nice and quiet portable fan. Will link when I get back home in a few hours.
BB&B has a ball shaped, bladeless fan for $100 that is also good.
==
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 05, 2018 05:51PM
I always see people at Costco with 2-3 of those tower type fans in their carts. Never looked into it, but I bet it's a good price, good quality, or both.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: July 05, 2018 06:18PM
Been using this Lasko from Amazon for over three years and it is perfect and very quiet even on the highest speed. Two speed - both quiet. [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 06:18PM by h linamen.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 05, 2018 06:40PM
For rooms like that you need to install vents and ducts and have the blowers be far away or at least outside the room

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 05, 2018 06:53PM
3d
I always see people at Costco with 2-3 of those tower type fans in their carts. Never looked into it, but I bet it's a good price, good quality, or both.

I just bought one to replace a more traditional 18" round fan on a stand that fell over and broke the blade. Replacement blades dont seem to exist.

But its LOUD. even on lowest setting.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 05, 2018 07:00PM
AllGold
But, I don't think there's such a thing as fan that is quiet enough to be used in a recording studio.

C(-)ris
For rooms like that you need to install vents and ducts and have the blowers be far away or at least outside the room

Yeah, the goal is not for it to be quiet enough to be in use while recording in a recording studio. That's more of a general sense of the ballpark that I'm hoping to get with one of these fans.

I'm aware of how studios handle air, and for my purpose, that would be way overkill. But I'd like to maybe get 75% of the way there with a consumer-level portable fan or two at a fraction of the cost.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 05, 2018 07:32PM
jdc
3d

I just bought one to replace a more traditional 18" round fan on a stand that fell over and broke the blade. Replacement blades dont seem to exist.

But its LOUD. even on lowest setting.

Return it, and write a review on Costco site so people know. How much was it? Was it on sale, is that why everyone was buying it in droves?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 05, 2018 07:36PM

Npw that's a fan big grin smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 05, 2018 07:59PM
In general, the bigger it is the slower and more quietly it can operate to push the same mount of air, so ideally you'd have a very large box fan in there.

But even a big box fan at low speed would make a whirring noise that would be frowned upon in an otherwise controlled audio environment like a sound studio.

(In my experience, control rooms are pretty noisy already. Try a small Honeywell table top fan from Target.)

For the sound studio... got a drop ceiling in there that extends into another room? I might pop a tile or two (or replace them with vent-tiles/grills or vents with deflectors) and point some fans up from an adjoining room's ceiling to circulate the air better without introducing noise from within the room.

...Or do what one of my clients did when temps crept near 100 here and take a sound-dampening rolling rack case with a built-in fan, prop the door of the case open and point it towards the mixing-board.

Date: July 05, 2018 08:08PM
In our previous house, I installed a MinkaAire ceiling fan, like this one: [www.lightingdirect.com]

That was whisper quiet at lowest speed and moved a good amount of air. If I could find a similar level of performance in a portable fan, that would be perfect.

No drop-ceiling. Control room is very nearly silent already. I'm trying to only add stuff that doesn't add any/much ambient noise to the setup.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 05, 2018 08:24PM
Another vote for Vornado fans.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 05, 2018 08:26PM
clay
In our previous house, I installed a MinkaAire ceiling fan, like this one: [www.lightingdirect.com]

That was whisper quiet at lowest speed and moved a good amount of air. If I could find a similar level of performance in a portable fan, that would be perfect.

No drop-ceiling. Control room is very nearly silent already. I'm trying to only add stuff that doesn't add any/much ambient noise to the setup.

At 44 inches, I'd expect it to be a bit noisy. Quiet ceiling fans are more like 72-inches. Not gonna find a sub for that.

They make "portable ceiling fans" that either sit atop a stand or hang from a hook on the ceiling, but they top out at around 44 inches and they'll be as noisy as a box fan and probably shake a good deal more than you'd like.

Can't swing a permanent install of a fan in the ceiling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 08:28PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 05, 2018 08:30PM
Have a look at this. It's great because it can run either on battery or AC power, therefore useful in power outages, and puts out a surprising amount of airflow without being excessively loud.

[www.amazon.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 05, 2018 10:59PM
3d
Return it, and write a review on Costco site so people know. How much was it? Was it on sale, is that why everyone was buying it in droves?

Its not overbearing, but not as quiet as a traditional round fan.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 05, 2018 11:37PM
Here are the two fans I referenced earlier...
$80 each at BB&B, or you may be able to score them cheaper elsewhere.
You can find the Rowenta w/o remote for about $50.

Both are incredibly quiet and powerful.
Some Vornado's can move a fair amount of air in quiet fashion.
We have a bunch, and the electronic four speed Vornado Model 660 is my fave and is very quiet at its two lowest settings; then it get a bit louder and really blows hard. It, too is $80 at BB&B.

==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 06, 2018 03:21AM
I'd expect a fan with five blades to be quieter than a traditional three blade fan of the same size and speed.

My complaint about the typical ~14" three-blade fan is that low speed is not low or quiet enough

I've got two Vorando fans and they aren't quiet and not nearly slow enough at low speed. And using them at close range is like being in the eye of a hurricane. They need some room to work properly.

This looks good. I'll track it down.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 06, 2018 11:59AM
I don't know if you are looking for an in window fan but I have been very happy with this one from home depot. The two fan can be set independently for in or out flow. Helps to freshen air in a an otherwise closed smallish room.
[www.homedepot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 11:59AM by pqrst.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 06, 2018 03:49PM
I don't have any personal experience with this one, but a voice talent I'm familiar with likes this Honeywell QuietSet tower fan. Certainly looks interesting and seems to have favorable reviews regarding being fairly quiet.
Date: July 06, 2018 04:39PM
RAM-
The Vornado 660 I showed above is way quieter.than our other Vornados with manual switches. Kinda pricey, but it's our favorite performing Vornado, except since it's electronic it doesn't come back on after a power outage. Seriously, the lowest two setting are very quiet and move a good amount of air. The Rowenta oscillates and has a remote, which may be an advantage depending on intended usage. I thought it was amusing that all three fans shown above are the same price.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 06, 2018 08:16PM
Buzz, I went for the Rowenta you showed.

It's got five speeds and a remote, with saves me from adding a smart plug.

One of the comments says that the lowest speed is very gentle, and that's a consideration when sleeping. Another comment says it will power back On after an outage. I like that in a fan.

Given that they're both Amazon comments, and AMZ is rife with loons, I'm prepared to send it back it's not satisfactory. But I hate returning stuff.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 07, 2018 12:37PM
You're gonna like it... I guarantee it.

(George Zimmer was my mother's neighbor on the cul de sac for many years, until mommy dearest started stroking out and we moved her away.)

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy. The lower two setting are incredibly quiet, the middle is pretty darn good, and the higher two you'll know the fan is really on.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015