advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
To BeOS or not to BeOS
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 06, 2018 08:24PM
"A dozen years later, the legendary BFS still merits exploration—so we're diving in today, starting with some filesystem basics and moving on to a discussion of the above features. We also chatted with two people intimately familiar with the OS: the person who developed BFS for Be and the developer behind the open-source version of BFS.
BFS was created in 1997 by Dominic Giampaolo and Cyril Meurillon, both of whom worked at Be. It was designed to be multi-threaded and lightweight, and to support high-volume, streaming multimedia. It was also designed to support the database features of the previous Be file system. Even though it was written at a time when systems typically had only 8MB of RAM and a mere 9GB of disk storage, many of the forward-thinking design decisions made then are still valid today."

[arstechnica.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: To BeOS or not to BeOS
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 06, 2018 08:57PM
I was rooting for BeOS at the time but have to admit getting Steve Jobs back made all the difference for Apple.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 07, 2018 03:50AM
BeOS had some good features, but it was nowhere as fully featured and functional as the NeXT OS was by that time. If Be had a year or two more development at the time, it might have been a good choice. Jobs was a bonus, but without him Apple would have survived. Where they would be now after 20 years, that might be quite different from the current Apple.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 07, 2018 10:45AM
I had BeOS set up on a ZIP disk and could boot my Mac from it. It was nice -- what you'd expect the next level Mac OS to be, basically. Small, lightweight, decent UI (if a bit too Windows-esque).

To paraphrase HG Wells, though, from the moment Steve Jobs showed interest in returning, it was doomed.

same as it ever was
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 07, 2018 02:01PM
JoeH
Jobs was a bonus, but without him Apple would have survived.

I disagree with that entirely. In 1997, Apple had lost its way and was on the brink of insolvency. No new operating system, regardless of how technologically advanced it was, was going to fix that. And don’t forget it took an additional four years before OS X was ready for prime time (and even then version 1.0 was essentially a late-stage beta).

The iMac saved Apple. It was the brainchild of one man: Steve Jobs. It is debatable whether it would have been as successful without the industrial design of Jon Ives, but it was Steve’s baby all the way.

If Jobs had not returned to Apple when he did, either Apple would not exist at all today or it would exist only as a brand, purchased years ago by a Compaq or a Dell for pennies on the dollar.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 02:02PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 07, 2018 02:22PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH

I disagree with that entirely. In 1997, Apple had lost its way and was on the brink of insolvency. No new operating system, regardless of how technologically advanced it was, was going to fix that. And don’t forget it took an additional four years before OS X was ready for prime time (and even then version 1.0 was essentially a late-stage beta).

The iMac saved Apple. It was the brainchild of one man: Steve Jobs. It is debatable whether it would have been as successful without the industrial design of Jon Ives, but it was Steve’s baby all the way.

If Jobs had not returned to Apple when he did, either Apple would not exist at all today or it would exist only as a brand, purchased years ago by a Compaq or a Dell for pennies on the dollar.

Yep. Or merged with Power Computing, which might have been interesting, but nothing at all like what we actually got.

Speaking of which, a BeOS installer CD came with my PowerCurve, but I never played around with it. Shame, I wish now I had at least tried it out.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 07, 2018 03:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH

If "on the brink of insolvency" includes having over a billion in cash reserves still, and Gil Amelio had cleaned out many of the non-productive elements before Jobs came back. The main negative on the balance sheet for '97 was the cost of acquiring NeXT. The reality was that there was a plan going forward, Jobs just picked that up and added some of his own direction. So I maintain Apple would have survived without Jobs, just not the same as it did with him.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 08, 2018 06:01PM
"Speaking of which, a BeOS installer CD came with my PowerCurve, but I never played around with it. Shame, I wish now I had at least tried it out."

Yeah, me too. I always meant to, but never did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015