advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
don't go chasing waterfalls?!....3 Youtube Vloggers die.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2018 04:39PM
.....falling from waterfall.....chasing 'danger'...

Three YouTube Vloggers Die In Canada Waterfall Accident

....Three members of YouTube travel vlogging collective High On Life have died after falling over a waterfall in Canada.

The BBC reports that Ryker Gamble, Alexey Lyakh and Megan Scraper were swimming at the top of Shannon Falls in British Columbia on Tuesday when they slipped into a pool 30m (98ft) below.

Other members of the group, who have 1.1M followers on Instagram and more than 500,000 YouTube subscribers, named the three young adults on their memorial fund page and in a tribute video:

High On Life is described as a clothing and outdoor adventure company whose members are known for creating lively travel video from all over the world.

Last year, Gamble, Lyakh and another group member were banned from U.S. federal land for five years after pleading guilty to walking on a sensitive hot spring in Yellowstone National Park and other crimes at parks across the west of America.

Vancouver-based Gamble and Lyakh set up High On Life with friend Parker Heuser.

Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: don't go chasing waterfalls?!....3 Youtube Vloggers die.....
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 07, 2018 04:47PM
Everybody seems so gleeful to share this story. Whatever stupidity led to their death by misadventure, their families are grieving.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 07, 2018 05:03PM
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...Oh wait...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 07, 2018 05:14PM
Mike Johnson
Everybody seems so gleeful to share this story. Whatever stupidity led to their death by misadventure, their families are grieving.

I'm sure their families saw it coming too...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 07, 2018 05:23PM
Everybody seems so gleeful to share this story.

True dat.

A lot of people generally run with their Empathy tank very low.

I'm sure their families saw it coming too...

And I get that give them zero consolation.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 07, 2018 05:34PM
Of course it's very sad for those folks connected to these people. My compassion or sympathy for the people in this 'group' gets severely diminished by the fact they seemed to feel that they were above the rules..I dont know the details of their doings on Federal Land but it takes some stupidity, arrogance and a general lack of respect to get banned from all Federal land for 5 years.

Putting yourself in dangerous spots.. is dangerous! And it sounds like these folks had a bit of an invincible thing going on. there are many stories that i read online that make my choke up, feel sad about and think about for a long time as they roost. I really cant muster up much emotion here.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 07, 2018 05:36PM
Hmmm...something seems off on this story - it happened on Tuesday, but she doesn't look like she has brown eyes...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 07, 2018 05:53PM
Kraniac
Of course it's very sad for those folks connected to these people. My compassion or sympathy for the people in this 'group' gets severely diminished by the fact they seemed to feel that they were above the rules..I dont know the details of their doings on Federal Land but it takes some stupidity, arrogance and a general lack of respect to get banned from all Federal land for 5 years.

Putting yourself in dangerous spots.. is dangerous! And it sounds like these folks had a bit of an invincible thing going on. there are many stories that i read online that make my choke up, feel sad about and think about for a long time as they roost. I really cant muster up much emotion here.

This... in all the particulars.
They were in the habit of doing things they KNEW were dangerous. Things that were often illegal for that very reason. They were adults, and not coerced into putting themselves into danger.
Do I lament their deaths? Of course I do... Did they "have it coming"? No... But was it a great shock that they might end up being complicit in their own demise? Also, no...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2018 05:59PM
This is the first para of the article I read:

Megan Scraper was standing at the edge of the scenic but treacherous Shannon Falls when she slipped into a swift-moving current, authorities in British Columbia said. Her companions, Ryker Gamble and Alexey Lyakh, dove in to save her, but none of them were a match for the power of the rapids. Moments later, all three were sucked beneath the water’s surface, then plummeted over a 100-foot waterfall.

They seem worthy of my sympathy. But news sources know that young kids doing outrageous things gets we oldsters all riled up and click happy.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 07, 2018 11:00PM
seems like natural consequences … at least they died doing what they liked doing best even if they were senseless deaths.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 07, 2018 11:18PM
hal
This is the first para of the article I read:

Megan Scraper was standing at the edge of the scenic but treacherous Shannon Falls when she slipped into a swift-moving current, authorities in British Columbia said. Her companions, Ryker Gamble and Alexey Lyakh, dove in to save her, but none of them were a match for the power of the rapids. Moments later, all three were sucked beneath the water’s surface, then plummeted over a 100-foot waterfall.

They seem worthy of my sympathy. But news sources know that young kids doing outrageous things gets we oldsters all riled up and click happy.

Here’s the second paragraph of the article:

Their deaths on July 3 are a tragedy, but one that has been shrouded in controversy, because the three were associated with High on Life. Members of the group travel to exotic locales and, at times, vault guardrails and ignore warning signs as they dive from cliffs and swing through canyons — always with cameras recording for YouTube and Instagram followers.

They appear to have brought this upon themselves. It is sad they paid the ultimate price for their tomfoolery, but they knew better (or should have) and decided to act anyway. As others have said, it is hard to muster much sympathy for what happened to them.

Sympathy for loved ones left behind, OTOH, is a different story.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 08, 2018 08:56AM
Two of them dove into the water to save their fallen friend, that seems pretty admirable to me.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 08, 2018 09:20AM
I think all 7 billion people on the planet should be allowed to ignore whatever rules are in place to protect the environment and people from themselves s they can get a few extra Youtube subscribers.

It's only fair, right?

My condolences go to their families who probably cared for them more than they cared for sensible rules.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 08, 2018 10:31AM
hal

Crux of it; pandering to the crotchety curmudgeon demographic gets them clicks. Each will have an opinion on these darn kids and the risks they took.

Yoyodyne
Two of them dove into the water to save their fallen friend, that seems pretty admirable to me.

Indeed. Ignored their own safety to try to help a friend.

Also -- she *slipped*. She did not dive into the pool thinking she could defeat it with her magical youth powers.

Did she put herself in harm's way? Maybe.

How many people get a little too close to the edge at the Grand Canyon? Do they all go plummeting over? And the ones that do, do they deserve it?

same as it ever was
Posted by: max
Date: July 08, 2018 12:01PM
We forget we were that age once and things we did carried no lesser consequences....
Posted by: August West
Date: July 08, 2018 12:14PM

Did she put herself in harm's way? Maybe.

I would have to answer yes to this, not maybe. I don't believe in denying people the ability to put themselves in very dangerous situations, my only concern is when they potentially bring harm to others, and that's often a tough call to make.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 08, 2018 01:12PM
Lew Zealand
I think all 7 billion people on the planet should be allowed to ignore whatever rules are in place to protect the environment and people from themselves s they can get a few extra Youtube subscribers.

It's only fair, right?

My condolences go to their families who probably cared for them more than they cared for sensible rules.

Rules? The best I can tell is, they hiked up a super popular trail. They weren't filming anything. She got too close to the water and slipped.

There is one report, endlessly duplicated verbatim, which says they were swimming in the freezing water above the falls. I can't find anything like the actual source of that. It's somebody saying the RCMP said that BC Ambulance said that a caller said three people were swimming. Maybe they had been, though that doesn't line up with witness accounts. There are reports of a 911 call about three people going into the water above Shannon Falls, which would have been after she had slipped and her friends tried to rescue her.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 08, 2018 01:43PM
Each will have an opinion on these darn kids and the risks they took.

I still get that on occasion, and I'm no kid:

People will shake their head or volunteer in passing— 'Ya know they're called murder-cycles', for no damn reason whatsoever.

That action is code for 'if something bad happens you're asking for it and it's you're own fault and I don't care'. They don't honestly care about the other person, but it makes them feel superior saying it.

I see examples of that mentality all the time. Then I smh.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 08, 2018 03:06PM
RAMd®d
They don't honestly care about the other person, but it makes them feel superior saying it.

This is universally applicable to almost any comment on the internet/made in public. It's isn't even about being right, it's about making me feel better.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 08, 2018 05:22PM
RAMd®d
Each will have an opinion on these darn kids and the risks they took.

I still get that on occasion, and I'm no kid:

People will shake their head or volunteer in passing— 'Ya know they're called murder-cycles', for no damn reason whatsoever.

That action is code for 'if something bad happens you're asking for it and it's you're own fault and I don't care'. They don't honestly care about the other person, but it makes them feel superior saying it.

I see examples of that mentality all the time. Then I smh.

Yep, me too. People feel compelled to come up to me and tell me about their cousin/neighbor/whatever that got killed on a bike, as though that proved I was a self-destructive fool for riding a motorcycle...when in fact it’s foolish, inattentive car drivers that are most likely to cause my demise.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 08, 2018 06:56PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

That's true.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 08, 2018 07:03PM
So accidental-death-of-outdoor-adventurer stories go on all summer here in the gorgeous Pacific Northwest, but nobody can recall anyone falling to their death at Shannon Falls before.

The trail they were on is very steep and has ropes and chains so people can climb the boulders. If you follow common sense safety and park rules and stay on the trail, you're fine. You might sprain your ankle on roots or something but that'd be the worst of it.

She was well off the trail and at the creek's edge when she slipped and fell 90 feet in rushing water. There were 7 people in their group, 3 of whom died. So rangers know the expect spot she fell from, and what happened. The sound of rushing water is deafening at that spot and you can see how high up you are. No mystery. There are no "swimming pools" up there. And the views are beautiful from the trail, why not take your photos from safety?

The special rescue teams who spent two days locating and recovering these 3 bodies put themselves at a lot of risk in this fast moving water and steep terrain and I heard they were getting counseling after this.

So maybe it sounds judgmental to criticize this young woman for what she did. She put her life is serious jeopardy, for what, a photo? A buck? There's nothing to admire here, there's a lot to say, well, to other people: Get outdoors and explore, yes, but please don't do what she did. Not worth it on any day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015