advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Claim: UPS vs FedEx vs USPS
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 08, 2018 02:33PM
the thread below about FedEx claim prompted me to ask here what you guys use for shipping and which of these vendors has a fair claim process. It seems that FedEx will deny the claim in most cases. I wonder if USP or USPS have a more fair claim process.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Claim: UPS vs FedEx vs USPS
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 08, 2018 02:57PM
Don't know about the present, but in the past UPS was known to be just about as bad as FedEx.

One story I heard of was of an item they tried to deny coverage on grounds of inadequate packaging. When it was pointed out to them in a legal letter that pictures showed that something like a forklift fork had been driven right through the container, UPS paid the claim.

Another claim was from not too long after UPS started transporting larger packages about 15-20 years ago. Before that the maximum weight was something like 60 lbs. Person had a used server shipped to him by UPS, weight about 100 lbs in a wooden crate. It arrived with some visible damage to the crate, the frame of the server had been warped badly and it no longer worked. That would have taken a large drop, or multiple ones to cause the damage. Eventually they paid, but had done their best to delay and lower the payout on the basis of it being "used".
Posted by: hal
Date: July 08, 2018 03:09PM
I've filed one claim - to UPS and after initially inspecting and stating that all was well, I called in, emailed pictures of before and after and I got my settlement money AND the laptop. Made out like a bandit on that one.

I find that almost every bit of electronics I receive from regular people via ebay purchases is not packed properly and don't blame shippers at all for denying claims.

For example, if you buy a 13" apple laptop on ebay, there is a 85% chance that it will ship in a USPS Flatrate Medium box. That box allows 1/2" of padding for the edges, 1" on the long sides and a bit more than 1" top and bottom. You CAN'T safely package a 13" laptop in such a box - no way!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 08, 2018 04:02PM
Space,

My company uses all three carriers (as well as LTL carriers) and have daily pickups with Fedex and UPS. Claim process for UPS and Fedex is pretty much the same. Under $100 and it's pretty much a no-brainer. Minimal fuss. I suspect it's more cost-effective for the carrier to pay out than it is to fight over it. Think in terms of "Here's your $$$. Don't bother us about it now." or, as I like to call it, "shut up and go away" money.

Over $100.00 and it's a different matter entirely. The claim _will_ be denied unless you can prove the item in the box had appropriate protective packaging, an appropriately sized box was used, the box itself was strong enough and sealed properly, i.e. packaging tape and/or carton staples. It can definitely be a pain. Doesn't matter which carrier. You'll have to work to get your money.

Hal is spot on about how regular people package goods for shipment. Most don't have a clue. Even people who are in my industry that have a clue can't be bothered to package items properly. In the rare case we have someone return parts, we have to remind them to package them properly so they aren't damaged in transit.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 09, 2018 07:29AM
....claims with FedEx are joke......you make you run though hoops then just deny it....had one horrible experience with them.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015