advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cave Rescue Update: 8 safe, 5 more to go.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 09, 2018 09:41AM
[www.cnn.com]
"Tham Luang caves, Thailand (CNN)Rescuers working at a cave site in northern Thailand have suspended operations for the day after bringing four more boys out of the flooded cave system Monday, according to a witness working with the rescue team, bringing the total number of rescued boys to eight.

Four more boys and their coach remain trapped inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex."

This is an amazing operation.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cave Rescue Update: 8 safe, 5 more to go.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2018 09:45AM
I thought we agreed we don't put spoilers in the Subject lines, didn't we?

joking aside, I am amazed by how smooth this goes so far. Much better than expected IMHO. I am sorry for that Thai seal that died last week, but at least he didn't die in vain.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 09, 2018 10:45AM
Space... yeah. I'll have to wait for our resident pro to chime in, but it looks like they are doing it carefully... setting up a chain of air tanks and guide lines, using full face masks for the boys, and guiding them with two divers, Fortunately these are athletic young men who have been able to recover quickly from being starved for 9 days. I expect this will be written up in the annals of cave diving as a textbook case.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 09, 2018 10:54AM
Juicy summer news story.
I hope they are all okay.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2018 11:23AM
Even though it is working, but the question becomes can they handle things if something goes wrong?
Kinda of, I can fly a plane until I crash situation.

The primary cause of death in cavediving, is getting lost and running out of air. In this situation, getting lost is not an issue, so that removes a huge amount of the risk. As long as a mask isn't dislodged, the odds are now in their favor. A flooded mask is a big cause of panic, and panic can kill very quickly.

Just got my fingers crossed that the luck holds up.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 09, 2018 03:04PM
From what I have read, they've been taking the healthiest boys out first. Hopefully, the good luck will continue.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 09, 2018 08:06PM
Dang. That is TIGHT.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2018 09:34PM
Wow. I do not see how Musk's mini submarine would fit through that 40cm bottleneck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018