advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AT&T wants to overhaul HBO, says it isn’t profitable enough
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 09, 2018 11:44AM
For two decades HBO has set the bar on high quality original programming. That may be about to change under AT&T ownership: [arstechnica.com]

It is what it is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AT&T wants to overhaul HBO, says it isn’t profitable enough
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 09, 2018 12:07PM
Nothing but good and more expensive ever comes from MaBelle.facepalm
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 09, 2018 12:11PM
Well, we own iPhones, so we should afford the price increases easily.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 09, 2018 12:33PM
I subscribed to the HBO app for about half a year; caught up on (up to then) all the GoT and re-watched a handful of HBO originals and some movies I hadn't seen in a while. I unsubscribed and have never felt a pull to try it again.

For me, it's a costly unnecessary channel. Doesn't offer enough for what they ask. I would put HBO in the $5.99 to $7.99 range, but that's based on my tastes. They just don't have enough I want to see to merit a continued subscription. (I mean, I can only watch Band of Brothers so many times.)

same as it ever was
Date: July 09, 2018 12:52PM
This actually presents an excellent opportunity for Apple, who, if rumors are to be believed, is looking to get into the original content production business.

Right off the top of my head I'm thinking The John Oliver Show will be looking for a new home sooner rather than later -- I can't see AT&T continuing to put up with his shenanigans for very long. Opportunity for Apple.

I can see Bill Mayer following suit, though likely of his own volition. Opportunity for Apple.

Production companies who previously would have brought their product to HBO because it used to be the gold standard in original content broadcasting? Opportunity for Apple, if it plays its cards right. Lord knows it has the cash available to do literally anything it decides to.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 12:52PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2018 01:22PM
Zoidberg
... I would put HBO in the $5.99 to $7.99 range, but that's based on my tastes. ...

I pay $5/month via DirecTVNow. One reason why I keep the DTV, along with the fact that I got locked into the Introductory rate for $35/100 channels (I think regular price now is $60), and I heard it will go up by $5, still a decent value since if I wanted to get all those channels on Comcast I would pay 3x as much.
Date: July 09, 2018 02:10PM
space-time
Zoidberg
... I would put HBO in the $5.99 to $7.99 range, but that's based on my tastes. ...

I pay $5/month via DirecTVNow. One reason why I keep the DTV, along with the fact that I got locked into the Introductory rate for $35/100 channels (I think regular price now is $60), and I heard it will go up by $5, still a decent value since if I wanted to get all those channels on Comcast I would pay 3x as much.

I have the same deal. Best deal by any TV provider, IMO. I'm sure AT&T will find a way to screw it up, sooner rather than later.

It is what it is.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 09, 2018 09:23PM
I have the same grandfathered DirecTV Now deal, just got my price increase letter. Freaked me out because it said it was going to $65, but a look at my account confirmed it's going to $40.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2018 09:31PM
stephen
I have the same grandfathered DirecTV Now deal, just got my price increase letter. Freaked me out because it said it was going to $65, but a look at my account confirmed it's going to $40.

I just checked, received the price increase email but showed the proper $40.

I do not mind the $5 increase, but I would not want to have to pay full price. We do not watch enough to justify the higher expense.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2018 09:32PM
Back to the OP: I think this is terrible news for the likes of John Oliver.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2018 09:45PM
stephen

here is mine

In order to keep enhancements like these coming, we’re adjusting our prices. Starting 08/09/2018, the cost of your Go Big package will increase by $5/mo. to $40/mo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015