advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Allstate Auto Insurance Saving Opportunity
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 10, 2018 03:41PM
I have Allstate Auto Insurance. I was looking at something on the Allstate app on my phone and saw that they'd added a 'Drivewise' feature measures your driving style and gives you a discount for your performance. Their requirements were minimal:
1) stay under 80mph. Easy since 70 is the max just about everywhere.
2) avoid hard braking. don't slam on the brakes more than x times in 10 trips
3) avoid hard acceleration. Don't floor it from the light.

I drive an EV and it has trained me to drive this way already, so no harm to me, but they gave me a $23/month discount on my car insurance. That's about $275/year!

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Allstate Auto Insurance Saving Opportunity
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2018 03:46PM
Spam.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 10, 2018 03:53PM
RIP, privacy.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 10, 2018 04:04PM
Next they penalize you when big brother knows you've been considering speeding or slamming on your brakes.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 10, 2018 04:14PM
you can also get discounted condoms if you are less rough during sex
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 10, 2018 04:16PM
joking aside, did they send you a thing to plug into ODB? or they use GPS on your phone to measure speed and acceleration? if they do use the phone, you can install the App on an older phone that you leave at home smiling smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2018 04:17PM
space-time
you can also get discounted condoms if you are less rough during sex

New or certified pre-owned? Any warranty?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 10, 2018 04:26PM
"Any warranty?"

No, but you can always return them to Costco. smiling smiley
Date: July 10, 2018 04:36PM
It's an app on the phone, but in order to register x trips you have to actually have the phone moving in the vehicle. Apparently they're also trying to incorporate a cash back feature for streaks of safe driving.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 10, 2018 04:36PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
RIP, privacy.

agree smiley

It is a digital snitch recording your location/movement/habits 24/7. It's similar to the Progressive Snapshot, but it's with you continually instead of just recording your car variables (some positives, some negatives). Were you stopped at a bar for 2 hours before you had a single car accident with no police report? Hmmmm...

Hopefully it doesn't suffer from glitches. Have you seen driving/map apps imply you had been traveling at 90 mph because you went through an area with really poor cellular coverage? If you drop your phone getting out of your car, does it register an accident?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 10, 2018 04:49PM
Phone apps also ding you if you touch your phone while driving. My phone is my navigation system, and is up on my windscreen in my immediate field of view so I don't look 'down' to see it. I have to touch it periodically. I will never ever ever use one of those 'discount' programs.

And oh yeah, a friend who works for a local large insurer assured me that YES, your insurance WILL go up if the app or ODBII dongle shows you are 'at risk'. She gets customers calling to complain about that all the time.
Date: July 10, 2018 04:50PM
I'm carrying the phone with me anyway. I'm not compromising my privacy any more than I was before. I don't know if Apple has gotten any better, but they had a mini-scandal a few years ago about their phones tracking owners even if they weren't supposed to be. Apple claimed it was part of the diagnostics for the phone to improve service.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 10, 2018 05:20PM

You shoulda seen this coming
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 10, 2018 09:01PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
RIP, privacy.

agree smiley

It is a digital snitch recording your location/movement/habits 24/7. It's similar to the Progressive Snapshot, but it's with you continually instead of just recording your car variables (some positives, some negatives). Were you stopped at a bar for 2 hours before you had a single car accident with no police report? Hmmmm...

Way more than that. Your phone can leak your work and recreational locations, contacts, exercise habits, indicators of wealth (what devices do you connect to) and health and with a few corresponding statistics in hand, they'll know more about you than you do.

They pool the info for other insurance companies ("I see here that Mr. Muffman was driving 70 in a 50 zone after stopping at a biker bar. Two risks! His health insurance rates just went up and we won't tell him why!") and the info can also get sold to just about anyone for advertising purposes or otherwise.

Recall that the RNC purchased detailed info on every voting age American in the last election -- and lost it to hackers -- and that the latest publicized data breach had hundreds of data-points on every American down to TV habits, sexual preferences and favorite soda.

There's no stopping the leaks of your otherwise private info, but handing it all over without protest/fight seems a little naive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 09:03PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: July 11, 2018 08:36AM
And who is Allstate selling your whereabout info too?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015