advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
'PayPal told customer her death breached its rules'
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 10, 2018 09:38PM
' PayPal wrote to a woman who had died of cancer saying her death had breached its rules and that it might take legal action as a consequence.
The firm has since acknowledged that the letter was "insensitive", apologised to her widower, and begun an inquiry into how it came to be sent.
The matter came to light after her bereaved husband contacted the BBC.
He said he wanted to make other organisations aware how distressing automated messages could be.
Lindsay Durdle died on 31 May aged 37.
She had been first diagnosed with breast cancer about a year-and-a-half earlier. The disease had later spread to her lungs and brain.
PayPal was informed of Mrs Durdle's death three weeks ago by her husband Howard Durdle.
He provided the online payments service with copies of her death certificate, her will and his ID, as requested.
He has now received a letter addressed in her name, sent to his home in Bucklebury, West Berkshire.
It was headlined: "Important: You should read this notice carefully."
It said that Mrs Durdle owed the company about £3,200 and went on to say: "You are in breach of condition 15.4(c) of your agreement with PayPal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased... this breach is not capable of remedy." '

[www.bbc.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 'PayPal told customer her death breached its rules'
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 11, 2018 02:09PM
I had Verizon tell me something similar when my mom died.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 11, 2018 08:56PM
Still fighting with my partner's parents insurance company. They paid out death benefits for her father 4.5 years ago, but refuse to stop auto billing monthly payments and cancel the policy because the policy holder hasn't contacted them to cancel. Um, HE'S DEAD! They know this because they paid for his funeral.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 12, 2018 02:19AM
Rules is rules...

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 12, 2018 02:43PM
Racer X
Still fighting with my partner's parents insurance company. They paid out death benefits for her father 4.5 years ago, but refuse to stop auto billing monthly payments and cancel the policy because the policy holder hasn't contacted them to cancel. Um, HE'S DEAD! They know this because they paid for his funeral.

Geez!

Maybe if you send them another death certificate they will pay another death benefit and actually terminate the policy. wink smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015