advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Splitter to record cellphone calls?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 10, 2018 11:26PM
Many moons ago I had a small splitter gadget that worked my dumb cellphone that had a 2.5mm jack for the headset, and I used it w/ an Olympus voice reorder w/ a 3.5mm mic jack. All was fine. Now, w/ smartphones being all the rage, I'm looking for some sort of splitter gadget that uses 3.5mm for all connections, and allows me to use a headset or earbuds and a voice recorder similar to the old Olympus. The headset/earbuds have a 4 pole plug, and I assume current smartphones have 4 pole jacks, but nothing works yet. Best I seem to be able to do is record the incoming side of the conversation, but not my outgoing side. Depending on the configuration, sometimes the other party can't hear me when (trying) using the splitter.

I've emailed w/ a couple of Amazon vendors, and appear to be using their products correctly, but nothing is working yet. Since it's just conversations being recorded, stereo isn't a necessity, so some mix of 3 pole and/or 4 pole devices is OK as long as everyone can hear each other and the conversation is recorded. In the mean time, I've just been using the smartphone's speakerphone, and putting the recording device near the phone and my talking head. Sometimes even use Quicktime on the laptop when it's convenient. But to get back to a homogeneous solution like with the dumb phone, what exact type of splitter device is gonna work now?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Splitter to record cellphone calls?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 10, 2018 11:30PM
(Cue the voices telling you about the legality of all this, in....)
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: July 11, 2018 12:39AM
Several apps for that.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 11, 2018 06:47AM
....thought it said......'Spitter'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 11, 2018 09:50AM
mrbigstuff

I'd say that was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rexs
Date: July 11, 2018 12:12PM
phone recorder apps
Date: July 11, 2018 12:51PM
ztirffritz
mrbigstuff

I'd say that was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

With my neuro crud, my hands don't work well enough to take notes. I've gotten used to using a voice recorder, originally tape in the pre-cellphone era, and digital since the cellphone era began. Not really looking for an app, which I have, but the right adapter that works with new school cellphones. Like I said, I had a couple of 2.5mm based widgets that I got from a phone-tech company that no longer seems to be in business. A 3.5mm based widget is the object of the current search.

Apps are more difficult for me to control on the fly, so the physical recorder that I can use when needed, best serves my needs, and that means finding the proper widget.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 02:28PM
Buzz
... Like I said, I had a couple of 2.5mm based widgets that I got from a phone-tech company that no longer seems to be in business. A 3.5mm based widget is the object of the current search.

Have you tried a 4 conductor 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter with your 2.5 mm widget?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: July 11, 2018 03:38PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Buzz
... Like I said, I had a couple of 2.5mm based widgets that I got from a phone-tech company that no longer seems to be in business. A 3.5mm based widget is the object of the current search.

Have you tried a 4 conductor 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter with your 2.5 mm widget?

Not recently, but I've thought about it... :-)
They're buried somewhere deep in our storage locker; I tried, and failed early on in the smartphone era, and gave up. Have not tried since, but leaps and bounds have been w/ smartphones in the intervening years.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018