advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AV player for home theater
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 11, 2018 06:35AM
I want to be able to play video and movie files from a USB thumb drive on a device attached to my home theater. I am looking for something that will play virtually anything without errors. VLC seems to work really well on my Mac Mini and a new Samsung TV in the bedroom also seems to play almost everything except 4k BluRay rips. (I own the 4k Ultra BluRay discs but I do not have a 4k player in this home.

The TV in the theater room is a little older (1080p) and both that TV and the a/v processor only accept Fat32 USB devices and I cannot put files larger than 2TB on then and are both picky about what can be played.

So what would be a simple device I can plug a USB device into to play movies?

I am looking to rip various DVD/BLuRay/UltraBluRay and other video/movies etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 03:39PM by Mr645.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AV player for home theater
Posted by: Winston
Date: July 11, 2018 09:46AM
Many DVD or BluRay players have a USB port, and many are fairly inexpensive. Don't know if any would do what you want, but that strikes me as the least expensive option.

Or a cheap Chromebook
[www.amazon.com]
(This one has USB 3 and HDMI.)
$167
or Chromebox
[www.amazon.com]
$168
with VLC for Chrome OS
[www.videolan.org]

There are also cheap "stick" Windows computers which plug directly into a TVs HDMI port
[www.amazon.com]
$120

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 11, 2018 10:18AM
I don’t know how many of your boxes this would check, but I use a USB drive attached to an AirPort Extreme. I use Infuse on my Apple TV to point to that drive and play media files. I can drag and drop media files from any computer on my network to the drive.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 11, 2018 01:18PM
Leelbox - $60 from Amazon

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 02:49PM
One minor problem with stick computers is that they don't have many free ports. As noted, you can get a Chrome laptop that will play 4K videos for about the same price as a 4K Apple TV.

It really depends on what streaming video ecosystem you have bought in to. Apple was 2 years behind most other services in supporting 4K. Amazon has a 4K Fire TV about $70 (occasionally on sale for $50), but only really makes sense if you are a Prime customer.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018