advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
utube on an ibook
Posted by: msglee
Date: July 11, 2018 08:12AM
Anyone manage to get utube videos to run on an ibook?

G4 ibook 14"
1.42 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
OSX 10.4.11
latest Firefox for ibook

Lee
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: utube on an ibook
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2018 08:32AM
I doubt it will work, that is a very old machine.

There is a Firefox clone for PPC computers, see if that works

[www.tenfourfox.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: July 11, 2018 08:35AM
I don't have any G4 systems handy, but have you tried TenFourFox?

[www.floodgap.com]

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Winston
Date: July 11, 2018 09:23AM
TenFourFox may work, but be aware that it has gotten very slow (unless something has changed in the last couple of years). I finally gave up on my 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 because of that. The blame for this is with Firefox, which has gotten bloated and slower itself over the years. Firefox went to an updated engine in November 2017, starting with Firefox v.57 - don't know how that has affected TenFourFox

Another option is to clear the cookies in Firefox, then set the user agent for iPad, if that"s an option for your version of Firefox. Should be able to do the same with TenFourFox. In theory this presents your iBook to YouTube as an iPad. Since iPads do not support Flash, YouTube should default to HTML5. I can't remember where Firefox/TenFourFox put the user agent setting, but in Safari it's in the Develop menu (which has to be turned on in Preferences). You may need to do this in TenFourFox since it does not support Flash at all. (And I'd uninstall Flash on the iBook if it's installed.)

Note that using an older web browser, such as the version of Firefox which runs on OS 10.4, is not considered safe (i.e. relatively secure from malware). This argues strongly for using TenFourFox, even if it's slow, on your iBook.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 09:25AM by Winston.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2018 09:30AM
frankly, you are wasting you time. keep the G4 for off-line games and word processing. You can't do anything meaningful with such an old computer online these days.
Date: July 11, 2018 09:49AM
This computer is for a friend of mine. He goes to the Library twice a week to check his email. People send him emails with utube videos in it and he wants to run them. Time for a newer computer.

Thanks for the replies

Lee
Date: July 11, 2018 11:36AM
TenFourFox 7450 works, thanks Winston, raz.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 11:55AM by msglee.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 02:24PM
It can play Youtube videos, but my guess is it will be limited to 480p (think back to what resolution Youtube had in 2005). It might be necessary to use a downloader to save them locally and then play with a PPC native player like 0.9.10 of VLC.

My pre-Core Intel (similar age to the last generation iBook) Dell laptop would run up against the wall trying to play anything over 720p even though it had a great GPU. A lot of modern streaming content depends on CPU extensions to speed up video compression/decompression added in the first and second generation Core processors.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015